1/32 Ki-61 - I

Radub

This is it for today.

I hope to have some other photos of the fuselage inserts (with the rails and rear shelf) soon.

If you have any questions, please ask and I will answer all queries.

Radu

Guest LSP_Jay L

:) Gorgeous Radu. Simply gorgeous work. I find your stuff so inspiring in it's skill, tidiness and perfection. Something I genuinely aspire to with my builds. I am a looooong way of yet, but I am grateful for the opportunity to have it here to look at.

Cheers mate,

Jay

Radu.... you really are a master! That is simply stunning and very beautiful on the eye.... I think with work like that... a guy should build a Tony and not paint anything.... just for pure enjoyment of seeing this art in the raw!

Wow....

Cheers

Alan

Whoa! :D

Great stuff!

If you're making molds of what you're doing, let me know! I'd love some copies! I was about to eBay my Tony but now I'm having second thoughts!

Damn that's great work.

Regards,

Ross

I believe he's using the Maru Mechanic book(s) as well as the FAOW (#17?). Those are my main sources for the Ki-61. I also have Japanese Aircraft Interiors by Robert Mikesh. There's limited information with respect to the Ki-61 cockpit but the Ki-100 is covered profusely. Since the two are extremely similiar I'd think he's using that as well.

Damned if Clisby didn't stop producing those little lathes before I bought one! They say on the site that they'll be offering an updated model, but don't say exactly when. So, for right now, I'm S.O.L. (Not that I needed it, it's just another gadget that I wouldn't have time to use anyway :D ) I did manage to get my hands on a little tiny Delta drill press. don't know what I'm gonna do with that yet either....

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

Mike, for reference, I used Robert Mikesh's Japanese Aircraft Interiors book (Monogram) and the Maru Mechanic book. The problem is that these two references are both slightly inaccurate.

Maru Mechanic offers "artist's impression" paintings of the cockpit, but they have some errors that take some careful study to spot.

The photos in the Monogram book also show the cockpit of the plane as tested by the Americans, which modified it and filled it with American equipment (oxygen regulator, radio, etc) and moved (or removed) some of the Japanese items. One needs to be careful with that too. The drawing diagram in the book is more accurate, but that has some errors too.

The Famous Airplanes of the World book on Ki61 does not really offer much info on the cockpit except for a photo of the ptototype's cockpit.

TimC, the Ki100 and Ki61, although they share a common lineage, are quite different. The cockpit of the Ki100 differs from that of the Ki61-I - the differences are subtle in some places and blatant in others, but they only look alike. The only things that may be the same are the electrical panel and the seatrest.

One must keep in mind that the cockpit of the Ki61-I was significanlty different from that of the Ki61-II. The cockpit of the Ki61-II is indeed more like that of the Ki100. But who wants a Ki61-II anyway?

Phew, trying to figure out the Ki61 family is mind-boggling! :D

My cockpit applies only to the Ki61-I (both Otsu and Tei). It should also apply to the Ki61-I Kai (again Otsu and Tei). The Revell kit, straight from the box, is a Kai (extended nose) Otsu. The nose needs to be shortened for the short nose version, which in my opinion is the best looking of all with the widest range of marking possibilities.

Radu

My cockpit applies only to the Ki61-I (both Otsu and Tei). It should also apply to the Ki61-I Kai (again Otsu and Tei). The Revell kit, straight from the box, is a Kai (extended nose) Otsu. The nose needs to be shortened for the short nose version, which in my opinion is the best looking of all with the widest range of marking possibilities.

Radu:

You are correct. The Ki-100 cockpit did, as you point out, come more from the Ki-61 II than it did from the I. The basic layout of the cockpit is essentially the same. The components installed therein are different though as you pointed out. The instruments in the panel are of different arrangement than the Ki-61-I. I should've been a bit more specific in my statement. I meant the layout is similiar to the Ki-61-I, not the specific details therein.

Hopefully, I can straighten out some of the confusion here with the lineage. The lineage for the Ki-61-I is as follows: Ki-61-I Koh, Ostu, Hei, Tei, which is equivalent to A, B, C, D respectively. This you already know. Only the -1 Tei (D) is longer than the others. Kai, or more correctly, Kaizo, means "modified". The only version that this applies to is the Hei © version. Kawasaki built several C's with German Mauser MG151's in them (I think around 250 examples if memory serves). This is the Kaizo C model. One can tell if the Ki-61-IC is a Kaizo by looking for large bulges under the wings that house the breech mechanisms for the MG151 cannon. They are quite prominent. Look at the rear cover of either the Maru book or the FAOW book that shows a Kaizo C from the 244th Sentai. Notice the huge bulges under the wings behind the landing gear? The model with the Ho-5 Cannon in the fuselage is the -1 Tei and it's because of the fuselage mounted cannon that the -1 Tei is longer than all the other Ki-61's. There is no such thing as an extended nose Hei © version; it is the -1 Tei.

While the Revell kit is a bit nebulous as to exactly which version it is. It is intended to be the -1 Tei version by the evidence presented on the kit. It is too long to be a-1A, B, or C and slightly too short to be a -1 Tei (by about 1/4 inch, which in our scale works out to be 8") When Takara designed this kit back in the early 70's, they used an incorrect set of drawings to tool their molds. That is why there are so many glaring errors on the kit. (i.e. incorrect length, misshapen features/details) The cannon openings in the fuselage more closely resemble the -1 Tei than any of the other versions. However, the ammuntion door on the right side of the fuselage is too small for the fuselage cannon armed Tony. Also, the access panel immediately in front of the windscreen is too short for a cannon armed Tony as well. These would lead most people to conclude that the kit is supposed to be a short nosed Tony. It's not. Like I said before, the kit is too long to be a shortnosed tony. There are also two protrusions (what they are I don't know at this time) and they mimmick the fuselage lines on the -I Tei underneath and behind the engine exhausts. These "lines" are only on the -1 Tei.

I know all this stuff because I have been in contact with some Tony "experts" over at j-aircraft.com over the past two years and among us, using all the available reference material, (mostly them, not me) have concluded that the Revell kit is supposed to be a -1 Tei. That is their general consensus and I fully agree with their conclusions. Together we've poured over the existing documentation, inlcuding the references you cite (which are the best available) and other such documentation translated from Japanese by those who know how over at j-aircraft.com. Emails back and forth to these folks convinces me that the Revell kit was supposed to be the long nose variant -I Tei. Again, let me state I am just the conduit of the information. I did not really participate in determining which version the Revell kit is supposed to be. I just happened to be there when they decided. Several years ago, JR Beaman did an article for IPMS entitled "Sad Swallow" in which he outlines and addresses the problems and fixes with the Revell kit. I have all of this information stored away in a three ring binder. If you would like it, I'll be glad to send you whatever you'd like. I did send Theirry this information, including the Maru Mechanic cockpit paintings, awhile back and he may have transmitted it to you. Unless I'm mistaken, I thought he was part of "MDC"

Aside from that, I am looking forward to the availability of your cockpit set and will most likely buy at least two. :) I contemplated about scratcbuilding a Tony cockpit but I couldn't figure out some of the trickier details that you have managed to whip through without missing a beat. Are you planning on doing anything with the horrible wheel wells? They're totally incorrect for any version of the Tony. ;)

Thanks TimC,

I must confess that the lineage of the Ki61 family is mind-boggling for me. You obviously know a lot more about that and I truly appreciate your clarifications. My biggest problem is the fact that all the information available to me at this moment is in Japanese and... it is all Japanese to me :). My approach to the Ki61 so far has been from a purely technical standpoint, based entirely on tehnical drawings. Your explanation makes it a lot clearer to me. Thanks again.

I would like to read Mr Beaman's assessment of the kit. Please PM me. All help is welcome.

I intend to correct a few more things. I already corrected the cockpit opening and canopy. In fact, the canopy is the only "sticking point" that is delaying the casting, everything else is finished in the cockpit. I am working on the master for a clear resin canopy rather than the vacform item initially planned. If that does not work, it will have to be the vacform. I intend to fix the wheel well and corret the landing gear doors (which are appropriate only for a Ki61-II or a Ki100), as well as some other bits and pieces. It is a very ambitious project as the Revell kit needs a lot of "love."

As for the layout of the cockpit, you are right, it is very puzzling and the breakdown or parts is entirely my own design - it will definitely be a good indicator if one decides to "copy" it - a bit like those draughtsmen that intentionally "misplace" a panel line in order to point out when their work has been copied.

PhilH,

I am sure it will not be different from the price of other similar items. The price of the Revell kit on Ebay is hard to figure out. The kits are not "rare" or "hard to find" by a long shot. There is always at least one on sale or up for bidding. Aurora's B25, Echelon's Lightning, now that is rare.

Radu