F-4U-1D twins

Neo

Hi Guys 

welcome to my new project ! In the spirit of always trying 1 new thing per build (aka self torture) here is what ive decided to try for the first time, A Dual build! I first went over the top with this idea by building a Academy and a Hasegawa 1/32 F-18, then realizing that just 1 of those boxes is biger then my bench i placed them back in the stach and pick out these 2 

build details :

1 X HobbyCraft  F4U-1D 

OOB

1 X Trumpeter F4U-1D

HGW VF-17 Decals

1x vector cowling

paints will be a mix of humbrol and AK real colors

I had in mind to try to find some leftovers from Tamiya kits (engines and cockpit )  as ive seen many modelers replace them with the brassing, but i was rellly motivated to stat these now. 

But if anyone has spares ... Wink wink :innocent:

Hope you enjoy!

here is a tease of the second night at the bench

utaSnvv.jpg 

AFJY4NQ.jpg

Edited by Neo

• 2 months later...

Hi LSP'ers

its been a while since ive updated the progress on this build. So here we go

In an effort to make my life more complicated ive decided that one of the twins was going to get my first time ever illumination job. This will include cockpit IP, navigation lights (wings, fuselage, tail) 

I started by drilling out the ip backing then experimenting with a led, after some thinking i decided to go with a shaved down white bulb, that i applied clear orange then chrome to, this make 2 things, 1 the orange gives it a vintage white look, the second is the chrome is preventing direct light, making the foil enclosure i build do a reflectedc light source. 

this is the coaming i made out of think foil

i75dg43.jpg

the led 

IhNLP6e.jpg

Tada the result

Vluhe7C.jpg

The cockpits are not complete 

VKKK2Za.jpg

here you can see the difference of the one that will get lit up! 

keWaZlj.jpg

Appart from this ive been doing allot of bulk building of components, and found the first PITA point of this kit, 4 times.... the gun doors fit is horrible ! ive installed the on the larger doors i ended up with a styrene strip underneath. the applied squadron putty and cleaned it smooth with nail polish remover, this allows for very minimal sanding and preservation of the surface details 

Jaq6EQM.jpg

wImGjPW.jpg

and the airplane parts stockpile! 

73vwMfc.jpg

Thank for looking

More to come soon

• 2 months later...

Alright here update time

Corsair #1

She's now all buttoned up, went pretty well some re scribing to get the panel lines and rivets. The hard one was redoing the round panel in front of the windscreen. i ended up using 1/48 P-38 wheel mask as a scribing template. 

hTrbf6x.jpg

I added some sprues to fix the fit on the wing roots

T0fGVMI.jpgpz906wT.jpg

Its now ready for some color. i sprayed on some MR Surface 1500 black

iQNVM7S.jpg

For this on im going to go with a Dark sea blue and yellow rear fuselage bands FF59

Cheers

For Corsair #2

Fiber optic is all wired in, i did discover that super glue melts fiber optic strands!!  so changes up to UV glue.  I guess that what first times are for!! 

A5ZpDq9.jpg

So Nav lights, formation lights, tail and top lights, and those blue wing light ready

HSDaWj0.jpg

And here is the result 

P97WShs.jpgxVl8NpQ.jpg

cockpit is ready, one led behind the IP and one LED under the floor ready to take all the fibers

This guy is going to be a 3 tone #17

Cheers

Edited by Neo

8 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

That's quite a challenge you've taken on.  I tried it once myself - never again....  :BANGHEAD2:.   Glad you're making progress on this and I hope yo don't get the parts muxed ip.

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks Michael 

So far its been on, the gun doors where a real PITA. 

As for mixing the parts, im not to worried since they are the exact same kit appart for the hobbycraft having more flash

7 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Looks nice Neo   :speak_cool::popcorn:

Thanks Mike

4 hours ago, dennismcc said:

Looks like a handful, but coming along nicely.

Cheers

Dennis

I would say the harder part is keeping the bench in order. The building is actually easier since you learn from one and apply on the second. Like fitting the wing root took me a while to figure out how to get right. On the second i put the two pieces of sprue to spread the wing height and fixed the issue in. 3mins vs 1hour

T0fGVMI.jpg

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Great job on those lights!

Thanks

Edited by Neo

• 2 weeks later...

Small update on #1 

i painted the white on the tail and on the wing

i found a old old tin of Humbrol hm10 navy blue, when testing the color out it matches 100% the blue on the insignia from the decals. 

IMG_20210829_224059_08BWChJcL6.jpg?updat

IMG_20210829_224105_5zWD7XZaI.jpg?update

AS for #2 im working on hiding the battery and switch in the landing gear well, more on that later

• 3 weeks later...

its update time! 

ive made some good progress on #1,  

adding white to and extremely thinned paint i added some fading to the panels. this is the inprogress, the wing on the right side and the nose have been faded the left side is untouched

IMG_20210906_202429__Large__hupCs_3WQ.jp

once this was done i spayed a coat of Tamiya X-22, now that didn't go that well. i ended up with a unsmooth finish, that i corrected by wed sanding with 4000grit paper, i think this one was on me my thinning / air pressure must have been off, i also forgot to spray a thin coat of pure thinner at the end that ive done in the past to get a ultra gloss finish. I guess after decals it will be round 2 and see if i can get it right since this one will be a gloss finish. 

The second failure is that after the gloss coast none of the fading showed anymore :BANGHEAD2:

but i decided to move onto decals, 

IMG_20210919_095559__Large__p8yxjVe3F.jp

the wings received a coat of flory models grey wash. like a noob i started weathering before decals! so i wiped most of it off , the did decals. 

IMG_20210919_100111__Large__jkjEVb90h.jp

Next step is trying that gloss again and going ham on weathering 

Cheers

Thanks for stopping by! 

Wow, Neo that’s looking great so far. I know the Trumpeter kit has its own issues compared to the new Tamiya offering, but I still think it’s a decent model kit compared to the ancient Revell F4U we all built as kids! I have an old Revell in progress that I have been tinkering with for years, but it will look nowhere near as good as your models are shaping up to be.

Please keep the updates coming!

Thor, huge Corsair fan………:ph34r:

12 minutes ago, bdthoresen said:

Wow, Neo that’s looking great so far. I know the Trumpeter kit has its own issues compared to the new Tamiya offering, but I still think it’s a decent model kit compared to the ancient Revell F4U we all built as kids! I have an old Revell in progress that I have been tinkering with for years, but it will look nowhere near as good as your models are shaping up to be.

Please keep the updates coming!

Thor, huge Corsair fan………:ph34r:

Thanks Thor 

You kind comment really fuels the mojo!!

Cheers