Finally!

Hacker

One of my major wants was the Hobbycraft 1/32 A-36 Apache. l got the P-51 and the 51A models but trying to get the A-36 was a long time coming. On the weekend l was checking my Ebay lists when the kit popped up at a reasonable price and with buy it now button. Of course yours truly jump right on it and it is now making its way to the stash which is in boxes right now for the big move to bigger digs. Maybe l can sneak it into one of the boxes before the wife sees it lol

Hacker

I know whereof thou speakest good sir. Since 2004 I have been seeking the 1/32 Val, Kate, Pete, Devastator and the Grumman XF5-F that Blackhawk flew (and the USN rejected). Over the years I have found and bought each of them. Yes they are carved wood made in the Philippines but that is fine by me because I started modeling by carving model airplanes out of wood during WW2. I am very comfortable with wood models and will not buy the plastic kits when and if they come on the market. 

My woodies were inexpensive, about $40 each plus postage. All except the Pete which was carved for me as a kit by a friend and all I have to do is assemble it and paint it. In the past year some enterprising person contracted to have them carved by craftsmen in Asia and is offering them on ebay in the $200 to $300+ range. I'm too cheap. For that kind of money I'll build my own models.

I even like the vacuform kits. The last plane I carved was the Betty (1/32) but before I finished it I converted it into a piece of Surrealist sculpture.

We have only one life; might as well enjoy it.

Art uber alles.

44 minutes ago, ssculptor said:

I know whereof thou speakest good sir. Since 2004 I have been seeking the 1/32 Val, Kate, Pete, Devastator and the Grumman XF5-F that Blackhawk flew (and the USN rejected). Over the years I have found and bought each of them. Yes they are carved wood made in the Philippines but that is fine by me because I started modeling by carving model airplanes out of wood during WW2. I am very comfortable with wood models and will not buy the plastic kits when and if they come on the market. 

My woodies were inexpensive, about $40 each plus postage. All except the Pete which was carved for me as a kit by a friend and all I have to do is assemble it and paint it. In the past year some enterprising person contracted to have them carved by craftsmen in Asia and is offering them on ebay in the $200 to $300+ range. I'm too cheap. For that kind of money I'll build my own models.

I even like the vacuform kits. The last plane I carved was the Betty (1/32) but before I finished it I converted it into a piece of Surrealist sculpture.

We have only one life; might as well enjoy it.

Art uber alles.

Whoops, I made a bit of sloppy writing above. Correction; I will and I do buy 1/32, 1/24 scale plastic kits of airplane models I want when the price is reasonable. But the line I will not cross is in the $70 - $80 range. Well maybe $99.99 if I really need it.

I'm cheap, so sue me. When I open my change purse moths fly out.

When I started to paint the Betty I soon discovered the high cost of paint these days. Then I remembered that I am an artist. So opened my big box of acrylic paints and mixed up a bucket of Japanese naval aviation color and painted the model with that - for less than a dollar.  How accurate is it? It is as close as any of the current paints on the market. Check it out. Get paint chips or swatches from any of the big model paint companies. Are they all identical? No? What a surprise? It helps, by the way if you live near an artist's supply shop. I live within three miles of two model shops and and two art supply stores. Drive another six miles and I can visit another three such stores. That's civilization!

Remember, this is a hobby; not an obsession. Its for fun and pleasure and recreation. As those two great 20th Century philosophers, Ren and Stimpy used to chant, "Happy Happy Joy Joy".

21 hours ago, Hacker said:

One of my major wants was the Hobbycraft 1/32 A-36 Apache. l got the P-51 and the 51A models but trying to get the A-36 was a long time coming. On the weekend l was checking my Ebay lists when the kit popped up at a reasonable price and with buy it now button. Of course yours truly jump right on it and it is now making its way to the stash which is in boxes right now for the big move to bigger digs. Maybe l can sneak it into one of the boxes before the wife sees it lol

Hacker

Hey Hacker,

If she says it's got to go - then let me know and I'll buy it from you - you know so you don't end up in the doghouse... I'm just looking out for the well being of a fellow modeler... :D

Seriously tho - that's very cool... I had been looking for one for well over 10 years and finally found one on Ebay last November...

Have a great day, Mike