RYAN STA 1/18

Ironwing

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings All

My genuine thanks for all for your comments. I havent made much progress but I have made some. The nose is becoming more complex that I thought it would be and a series of events of total absurdity that have brought me to this point.

It all started with this...Its an epoxy mold for the little mouse ear intakes on top of the cowl.iKPs6E.jpg

Its tiny. About a quarter the size of my thumbnail. After sitting and hand sanding it to completion, I was checking it for for symmetry. It squirted out of my fingers and fell between an opening between the deck boards and went to live with the bugs. Alright..lets do it again. I did it again but this time I stayed in the house. I was sitting at the bench when it again popped from my fingers. It is now in residence someplace in the basement. So the on you see pictured is number three and still in my possession.

From that came the little intakes...

FM41Ff.jpg

Not yet final finished but ready to be.

eH13Br.jpg

Theyll get smaller once done. To be safe, I put them in a zip lock bag with the mold and stuck them to the wall.

The next step was to apply the litho to the nose piece. Ill be honest, It took me to school and gave me a greater appreciation for what Peter is able to accomplish with lithoplate. 

From figuring out a way to thin contact cement(seems easy but it isnt)to making a flat sheet of aluminum become a three dimensional object took quite a bit of time to figure out. The part you see is was binned after failing to get the litho right. It took quite a few more failures before I could come to terms with how to work annealed aluminum over a buck and finding the right tools (at least for me)to do it with.

the tools are quite simple. A jewelers hammer, an orangewood stick, a hard paper art thing and my fingernail.

Jewelers hammer.zMjo1Q.jpg

Orangewood stick. My wife tells me its used to clean your fingernails.DRza91.jpg

The hard rolled paper art thing.CTDjPh.jpg

One key point about using litho after annealing...it doesnt take much force. Its better to be very gentle with it and allow it to take shape slowly. Any use of the hammer should be done very gently. If kinks begn to form, straighten them out immediately. If need be, pull the litho open and start again. Once the form, they are near impossible to remove, This is especially true if the litho folds over on itself.

The litho was worked around the edges. The actual part was never worked with the hammer. Only the edges around the mold wre hammered. As the litho pulled down around the perimeter (using the rounded end of the hammer) it was smoothed with the orangewood stick. LtOjRp.jpg

6dh8OG.jpg

sorry..wrong pic

E1kUh1.jpg

Youll notr the orange peel surface. Believe it or not, that all came out by gently running my fingernail over it.

The part was made deeper so it could slide over the outer surface of the cowling rather than having to edge glue it on.

RtRXAH.jpg

m8t5L4.jpg

You can see here how the cowl slides into the nose piece.

HuWKlT.jpgIn my reading and asking someone else to look at photos, it was realized that the spinner cone is all one piece and has a most unusual way of attaching to the prop backing plate. Thespinner cone was also tweaked to bring it more in line with the drawingso it better matched the cowk taper.

x4dIx9.jpg

GKGE5I.jpg

A new spinner cone will be vacformed

I roled a piece of embossing aluminum and just stuck it on top to see how it looked. Embossing aluminum is dead soft..like thick foil with a very high finish. The center hole serves no purpose since its behind the spinner.

7LoUsc.jpg

There are four pieces of litho skin and and the nose piece that will have to be worked together,riveted and fixed in place. There are also the openings in the nose piece that have to be opened...and those cursed little mouse ear scoops added. I might be a while :) 

Ill see you when I see you. Please be safe everyone...

Best

Geoff

Damn that is brilliant.

art and skill coming together to create something amazing- well done brother.

I know that when scratch building, there is typically a bigger pile of failed attempts at the end of the bench than one would expect. Its all part of the process to embrace- and I bet you drift off to sleep at night solving issues in your head-

cheers

Pete

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

Excellent Geoff - I cannot get enough of this stuff! I also appreciate the experience tutorial; not only does it show us all not what to do (or do correctly), it also shows us all that you are actually human! lol :)

As for losing or having to remake failed pieces and parts, this is an experience I have had for years - I just wish at the moment that I had something as large as 'quarter of a thumbnail' size to work with! (I am making a highly detailed 1/144 scale resin model full kit mater pattern at the moment, so guess how many parts I have lost and had to remake with that!).

Cheers

Derek

looks amazing Geoff - well done!!

couple of things may help - one, don't worry too much about any rough areas or pillowing, I find with a good buck you can actually sand out many sins - the litho will take it just fine and it just unifies everything once its stuck down permanantly

..now as to sticking down, if using contact adhesive as you know you only get one shot, and with something like this where it may make contact on it's way to it's final position it will be really tricky - I suggest find a hinge point (the top maybe) where you can add a tape hinge to hold the desired position in one axis and if will slip without touching into its final spot you are onto a winner. The alternate might be to CA it once it's in place by wicking it around the edge..

I only offer this because I have had trouble in the past where something fits like a glove to the buck, but there is no way to contact stick it without bending it open to minimise the touchpoints (it can always be bent back afterwards)

really enjoying watching you nailing it and I would add you probably started with the hardest part so the rest will be a breeze :)

all the best

Peter

What a craftsman.  I just cannot make this hobby an artform like you and some others. My smiley face on your post is for losing the pieces to the ether.  Only because we have all been there.  My latest is cutting off meng nuts, and trying to trim them, under high magnification, and then like Schroeder's cat, just disappearing before my very eyes after tedious thankless work.  I think they take off like tiddly winks!  Ping!

On 8/25/2021 at 9:02 PM, Pete Fleischmann said:

Damn that is brilliant.

art and skill coming together to create something amazing- well done brother.

I know that when scratch building, there is typically a bigger pile of failed attempts at the end of the bench than one would expect. Its all part of the process to embrace- and I bet you drift off to sleep at night solving issues in your head-

cheers

Pete

Pete,

Thank you. Coming from you that is quite a compliment. Im really glad to see you back on the 38..mucho cool project which, is being executed will mucho skill. Youre right..I think about it every night while falling asleep. I find relaxation in it and when Im lucky, I find a solution to something :)

Thanks Bud...

Regards

Geoff