RYAN STA 1/18

Ironwing

On 7/17/2021 at 6:09 PM, Ironwing said:

..I just had to see how much it looked like an ST-A

Umm - it looks like a perfect facsimile of the real one down to about six decimal places Geoff :)

wonderful to see not only how you are going about it, but the pace with which you are moving - really impressive

It is also clear you are having a ball & with results like that, I am not surprised :)

Bravo

Peter

Happy Summer All

Many thanks for all the kind and thoughtful comments. Things here are progressing. It was decided to go back to the cowling assembly which, turned out to be more challenging than I thought it would be, especially the nose piece that closes the front of the cowling. It took a couple of days of sanding (very carefully) filling, and test shooting. The curves on the nose frontus closure is very subtly curved in several directions with the area directly behind the spinner sitting forward (raised) in front of the rest of the nose. You can see what I mean in the photos.

gRatAn.jpg

It took five iterations with very small adjustments in between(one missing in photo). The last (far right)to get to the last one. Three were made from .020 card. One made from .030 card.. and the last from .040 card.

alVs2o.jpg

b6JBZN.jpg

Getting the curve under the spinner seat and the smale radius on the chin where it meets the cowling were the biggest challenges.

QUp2iI.jpg

dJsle4.jpg

From there, it went to the fairing that sits between the fuselage and the rear of the cowling. I might reshoot this part.

T6ARxb.jpg

In hind sight, it might have been better to just leave the fuselage a little long and try to sand the needed radius into it rather 

than making a separate piece.

jhFqHA.jpg

FrZg1f.jpg

The end result...

V8MUMC.jpg

5yuKN2.jpg

n8WHBe.jpg

jppX7r.jpg

So is the state of the ST-A. Maybe a spinner next and revac that fairing. 

I hope everyone is enjoying their summer and enjoying good health...Be safe.

Best

Geoff

I wonder if you know just how much your thread makes me smile.

I have just been playing a similar game with my DFW, although I'm much more likely to accept a 'not-quite-accurate' result

Beautiful work, puts me to shame

Richard

On 7/24/2021 at 6:31 PM, RLWP said:

I wonder if you know just how much your thread makes me smile.

I have just been playing a similar game with my DFW, although I'm much more likely to accept a 'not-quite-accurate' result

Beautiful work, puts me to shame

Richard

Richard,

Your comment makes me smile..overly kind of you..thank you. Youve nothing to be ashamed of for sure. When will we see more of your build? 

Best

Geoff

On 7/24/2021 at 6:34 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Brilliant work, Geoff! So much inspiration happening in the WiP forum these days. Thanks for providing a good chunk of it!

Kev

Kev

Thank you. You always say such nice things. I always hope I can contribute in some way.

Many thanks...

Geoff

On 7/27/2021 at 10:04 PM, JayW said:

Geoff - that is just magical!!  Cannot believe you scratched out that beautiful nose piece.

Jay

I cant believe it either! The little witch turned out to be a sneaky little time bomb. If you look at the front major diameter, the OD isnt a sharp edge. The little radius caused a step in the profile. Fortunately I was able to sharpen it so it fit the back side of the spinner. The two fit together not unlike the Mustangs nose whereby the line of the spinner is continuous with the top of the cowling. That said, Im glad you looked in..thanks much Bud.

Geoff

Hello All

Everyone is well and in good spirits I hope. I promised myself I wouldnt post anything about what I was working on until this subassembly was finished..OK, I lied. I didnt plan on this bcoming a major effort. Bad plan. All I wanted to do was make a spinner. I did that but it grew from there...

A while back I was just kind of playing with making a prop. I had never made one before. I didnt really know if I would use it or make another one. So now, after making the spinner, there was a spinner, a prop, and a nose fairing. Its still pretty ratty looking and still incomplete but I just had to show you whats been done...

The spinner is a bit out of position. It steadfastly refused to stay put..but...

8RE3qS.jpg

I used some lacquer primer out of a can, Something I wont do again but you get the idea.

RzVYTT.jpg

Sorry, didnt mean to do that twice. I meant to put this one

dnHGFe.jpg

50hgxN.jpg

Originally, the spinner was vacformed using .030" sheet. One was also done using .040". The >040 spinner gave me more room (thickness) for fitting it to the cowling. The line of the spinner is continuous with the top of the cowling, much in the same way the cowling and spinner match on the Mustang.

50hgxN.jpg

6Dpu0Y.jpg

Greetings All,

After taking a good long hard look at the spinner and prop, I decided to do it again..what a surprise :) There were a couple of things that didnt seem quite right. 1) The overall shape of the cowl and nose. 2) Size and shape of the prop.I thought I could make them better...

Starting with the prop. Asnoted, when I made the prop, it was more of an experiment but it didnt come out too shabby. Just the same, a replacement was done up which, more accurately replects the prototype.

The original prop is on the left.

RTG7St.jpg

Im sure you can see the difference.

This is the replacement

Y4cJSV.jpg

dxMnEB.jpg

This one more accurately represents the bulk of the Sensenich.

The intake apertures were opened. Looks more like an ST-A nose now.

2GXPMH.jpg

New prop and spinner...

ifm5lE.jpg

Edited by Ironwing
add photo