RYAN STA 1/18

Ironwing

Upon my word Geoff!!!  I am sure your heart sunk to see the wing in its malformed state.  So much work....   Remaking something is never as exciting as making it in the first place - but the modeler must remind himself (herself) that you get to correct mistakes and add improvements!  A similar thing happened to me back when I was building Miss Velma - you may recall.  I was scratch building the flap, similar to this in that it had ribs and spars and skins, all painstakingly fabricated.  And styrene of course.  And I found after gluing on the skin panels, found the following day, that the skins had sagged and malformed due to glue fumes softening the sheet they were made from.  A total loss.  A day or two of long face and bad attitude!  But, the second try was better than the first!

Keep with it mate! 

just wonderful Geoff - you are back and firing on all cylinders!

wonderful to watch it come together and like you I have been through remakes before things worked out - in fact everything is always better second time around as you put the lessons learned into practice :)

keep at it, can't wait to see whats next

Peter

On 7/1/2021 at 8:42 PM, brahman104 said:

Great work Geoff!

I know that must've been super frustrating to see the warp, but some things are better done again sometimes and we're generally better for it with the advantage of hindsight. You've certainly taken the opportunity in your stride!

Craig

Hi Craig

Having the wing warp wasnt super frustrating. Its just one of those things that happens in development. It can always be worse and it was a good learning experience. Thanks for stopping in.

Best

Geoff

On 7/2/2021 at 5:03 AM, Derek B said:

Great work Geoff - this is why I love scratch building; not necessarily to make a unique model in its own right (which, of course, is the primary goal), but rather the invaluable knowledge, experience and resultant confidence you gain from the whole process.

Derek

Derek

Thanks for your kind and experienced sentiments. I know you understandfully what this is all about. I hope youll continue to stop in.

Geoff

On 7/2/2021 at 2:39 PM, JimRice said:

Beautiful to the point it will be almost be a shame to cover it all up!

Jim

Im not saing my work is beautiful, but I understand the sentiment about covering it up. IVe always enjoyed seeing the structure under an airplanes skin.

Geoff

On 7/4/2021 at 10:25 AM, Pete Fleischmann said:

Geoff,

this build puts an old-school smile on my face. Love watching a craftsman at work-

you’ve got me picking up my big AT-38B with a new found enthusiasm! 
looking forward to more of the Ryan! Great stuff happening here! Thanks for sharing-

cheers

Pete

Pete

Thanks! Coming from you, that puts a smile on my old school face. 

Best

Geoff

On 7/4/2021 at 4:41 PM, JayW said:

Upon my word Geoff!!!  I am sure your heart sunk to see the wing in its malformed state.  So much work....   Remaking something is never as exciting as making it in the first place - but the modeler must remind himself (herself) that you get to correct mistakes and add improvements!  A similar thing happened to me back when I was building Miss Velma - you may recall.  I was scratch building the flap, similar to this in that it had ribs and spars and skins, all painstakingly fabricated.  And styrene of course.  And I found after gluing on the skin panels, found the following day, that the skins had sagged and malformed due to glue fumes softening the sheet they were made from.  A total loss.  A day or two of long face and bad attitude!  But, the second try was better than the first!

Keep with it mate! 

Dude

It aint the end of the world but I appreciate your sympathy :0 ..That big corsair is looking mighty good ole boy..keep her going

Regards

Geoff

So, a brief update is in order. Work on the wing has stopped. Im waiting for carbon fiber rods to replace the brass tubes. Wing work will resume as soon as the carbon fiber replacements arrive. Attention was given to the fuselage and cowling. The fuselage and cowling dont articulate with each other. Rather, at the fuselage front is a fairing which closes off the fuselage front. Im assuming the cowling panels attach to the engine bearers. After trueing up the fuselage and matching the cowling, since they have the same cross section, a mold was made up for vacforming to close the front of the fuselage.

KLaOmS.jpg

Now that Ive made the form, I can see is a bit to chubby and will need to be touched up around the edges. It fits the cowling cross section but it hits the cowling on its inner diameter which it shouldnt do. Might alsp have to double shoot the mold to make up for thickness difference.

cJiMro.jpg

This is how it should fit...

PUcTf5.jpg

GYNm5A.jpg

A lesson in ..dont touch the wet primer :)

All in all, the fuselage is ready to go forward.

s6Fhsx.jpg

XkBBxE.jpg

GKYc29.jpg

Forms for the nose piece and spinner are also underway.

wp7onh.jpg

Thats it for this episode..time to get back to summer. Be safe everyone...

Best

Geoff