RYAN STA 1/18

Ironwing

On 6/10/2021 at 3:03 PM, MDuv said:

Master craftsman at work ! That’s cool to look at.

Did you completely replaced the previous wing with the wooden one ? Or did you integrate wood on the existing one to create volume? 
All the best for your build (and the rest !)

Cheers.

Mathieu

Mathieu

Hardly a master craftsman but thanks just the same. Yes, this is a completely new wing. I thought A new one was in order. The really wasnt much to the other one so replacement was easy. Im glad you looked in...thank you.

Cheers

Geoff

On 6/10/2021 at 6:02 PM, Derek B said:

Lovely work Geoff - keep it up! :) :thumbsup:

Ryan STA Special

Derek

Derek,

Thank you for visiting and the lovely Ryan shot.I only hope mine comes out half as nice at the one pictured.

Best

Geoff

On 6/3/2021 at 7:04 PM, Troy Molitor said:

Looking good Geoff.  Love the STA.  

Thank you Troy! The ST-A is cetainly a pretty one. Please stay tuned...

Best

Geoff

On 6/10/2021 at 7:59 PM, chuck540z3 said:

SO cool!  Sanding those wings must have been fun, because the results are sure rewarding.  Creating an aircraft from scratch I will never do for a hundred reasons (lack of skill, right tools, correct drawings, lack of skill, etc.), but I'm very jealous about what you and only a select few in these forums can accomplish with your minds and your hands.  Keep it up Geoff and thanks for the inspiration.

Cheers,

Chuck

Chuck

Always good to hear from you. The wings actually were fun to make. I dont think I would have enjoyd it so much if Id have had to do it with a sanding block :) You have more than enough skill to do a scratch build..give yourself a chance. Your fastidious pristine way would see you thru it for sure.

Thanks Bud

Geoff

On 6/11/2021 at 5:42 PM, JayW said:

Geoff - a display of true craftsmanship.  My applause to you!  

Jay

Its always good to hear from you. Youre quite the craftsman yourself. I dont comment much on your 

corsair rebuild but I always check on it and always enjoy your narratives. Keep it going.

With applause...

Geoff

Greetings All

Hope everyone is well...I was happily lunking along when things got a little sideways in Ryan Land. I fitted  the wings to the fuselage. They acually fit rather nicely, but something didnt look right. As it turned out, the wngs were mounted too far forward. Some dumb guy, who shall remain anonymous, had measured form the edge of the leading edge fairing rather than measuring from the leading edge itself. Unfortunatley, moving the wing forward couldnt be done because of insuffiicent wing cord depth. No place to put the wing mounting tab. Fortunately for the dummy, who measured incorrectly, seems he ran off with the circus before I could get my hands on him :).

The question became how to get the wings mounted now that the space was dramatically reduced. Fortunately for me, I came across a CAD rendering done by Timber Tigers. They produce Ryan ST-A kits or complete airplanes (I think).

dnoZt4.jpg

This is the first reference found that actually shows how things fit. It looks like I can get a brass tube thru the fuselage and hide it under the front seat. It have to be cut into the wing but that seems to be the only option. The rest of the attachment will have to be JB weld directly onto the fuselage.

So, what positive things have happened...The wing seats have been done and fitted to the fuselage. The fuselage was wrapped with 220 paper and used as a sanding block to shape the wing seats.

WIuApQ.jpg

There are two large fairings that span the wing undersurface and the fuselage. Hence, the wing undersurface was built out to span the distance to provide surface to attach the litho.

9xqfax.jpg

el8tJJ.jpg

The nose has also been taken off and a jig built to aid in alignment.

6JpgDA.jpg

nsL9Kp.jpg

rvRcN1.jpg

Thats about it for this update. Hopefully there will be more to show next time.

Hope everyone is well..be safe.

Best

Geoff

Edited by Ironwing

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Summer All,

Its dreadully hot at the moment(95+)perfect for staying indoors and building; or breaking depending on your tack. Surely it has its share of disturbances; the grand boy being here, defending the pool against all those things that like to grow in there and all the summer honey do's that I make believe I didnt hear her tell me about. I digress, like an old man..which I am.

So, Im hear with news of the Ryan. Theres good news and bad news which, brought about the good news.After taking a break, I returned to the bench and found that the Ryans wings had twisted out of shape 

RmMdxD.jpg

vyLIuG.jpg

Im guessing that having removed a long thin strip (.100") of balsa from the underside and having to cut thru one of the ribs to accept the dihedral brace uncoupled the wing and allowed the inherent stresses to take charge. I probably should have installed the brace and back filled the clearance trench with epoxy to keep things connected. My bad.

However, it was a good learning experience which, drove me to do what I probably should have done in the first place. You can see the solution laying under my disfigured component.

Following the age old principles of the flying model boys, the Alcorn,Lee,and Cooke publication, and looking at what Peter did, a new wing now is in process(again) :) 

I wont bore you with the process. Peter covered it in his Fury thread and I do recommend the previously mentioned publication. If nothing else its an interesting read. 

As has been described, two brass masters were made up(see above photo). Two were made so one could be placed on either side of the rib stack while the ribs were being block sanded. The brass ribs were bolted together to ensure uniformity while they were being made. Both were cut from .062'' (1/16) brass sheet. All holes were drilled while they were bolted together and matched to the drawing. This keeps things very accurate and extremely well matched.

The ribs were cut from .015" sheet stock. I would have much prefered using .020" stock but didtnt wasnt to use what I have on hand. Since my LHS closed, materials are hard to come by.

A balsa stip was notched at the rib locations and for the initial build up.

1yAgy7.jpg

There are a few ribs missing as well as the dihedral brace.

This is with everything in its proper place waitng for the leading edge.

GR84sE.jpg

The next step was installing the leading edges which recycled from the wooden wing and helped to stabalize the rib positions.

AJbazu.jpg

The brass rods add quite a bit of weight . I hope to replace them with appropriately sized carbon fiber rods. The dihedral brace might have to remain a brass tube.

The top and bottom of the LE differ, in that, the top side comes further back on the wing.

L17VXL.jpg

The upper surface in the foreground.

q8qgWy.jpg

I must say, I was very pleased at how the vacform LE's fit the rib noses.

AJbazu.jpg

This is the current state. Ill probably trim the control surfaces off next and build them as a separate structure in the wing then add a TE spar to stiffen things up, then do the tips. 

PBClOD.jpg

Vz3siJ.jpg

h5oUGq.jpg

Thats it for me for this go around. Hope youre all well. Be safe...

Best

Geoff

Great work Geoff!

I know that must've been super frustrating to see the warp, but some things are better done again sometimes and we're generally better for it with the advantage of hindsight. You've certainly taken the opportunity in your stride!

Craig

Great work Geoff - this is why I love scratch building; not necessarily to make a unique model in its own right (which, of course, is the primary goal), but rather the invaluable knowledge, experience and resultant confidence you gain from the whole process.

Derek