RYAN STA 1/18

Ironwing

wow Geoff, that looks superb :)

Looks like John did a fabulous job on the vacform pull for the fuselage, just as he did for mine - truly a master.....  also looks like you are having a ball making the Ryan - your enjoyment & energy just shine through

Hopefully John ran you up a couple of spares, I found them really useful for cutting to get real world section shapes for bulkheads etc and also as a buck for some of the skinning work I assume will come later

it's just a joy to watch :)

Peter

On 6/1/2021 at 3:18 PM, airscale said:

wow Geoff, that looks superb :)

Looks like John did a fabulous job on the vacform pull for the fuselage, just as he did for mine - truly a master.....  also looks like you are having a ball making the Ryan - your enjoyment & energy just shine through

Hopefully John ran you up a couple of spares, I found them really useful for cutting to get real world section shapes for bulkheads etc and also as a buck for some of the skinning work I assume will come later

it's just a joy to watch :)

Peter

Peter

Indeed John did do a fantastic job on the fuselage pulls and did send along a couple extra. Im thrilled with what he did. Imglad you looked in. Thank you much...

Best

Geoff

On 6/1/2021 at 5:25 AM, RLWP said:

Can you cheat with the nose and just scribe a joint instead of cutting it off and reattaching it

Richard

Richard

No 

So a quick update...

Naturally, I just had to see if the wing would fit. The bulk head was cleaned up(shape)because it wasnt allowint the wing mounting tabs to enter the fuselage deep enough. I still need to do the number three bulkhead which has the other pair of mounting tabs but I just had to see how things would fit.

R4OcsX.jpg

This by the way is a new wing and still .500" to long.

fMPvW0.jpg

W9DwVk.jpg

1S9Sd8.jpg

g8Fufb.jpg

Looks like number two bulkhead fits. The wing is straight, the wing tab is holding the dihedral...all seems good up to this poing. 

Ill be back...

Hope everyone is well. Be safe

Best

Geoff

Greetings All

I hope everyone is well.Im back to bring you a fresh dose of boring. Lots of experimenting(playing) with wing ideas but Ive settled on the final form. The wings turned out to be balsa core. My concerns about rigidity and weight have been put to rest.

The wing is built as a crucifiorm with three ribs on each side and a main pattern rib at the inboard end of the wing. This end rib is the guide used once the wing shaping is underway.

The upper and lower wing surfaces are fildled in with .250" balsa cut to fit between the ribs...the guide rib is then put in place and aligned with the wing centerline and LE. A lite coat is the applied. This important and youll see why shortly.

waqb78.jpg

I considered double sided tape, as was suggested, but it just didnt sit right with me. I opted for something a bit stronger...

17taLf.jpg

Indeed it does love to stick to things, including skin. Its a bit rubbery and doesnt like to be sanded but once you get throught it its fine. Back to the block of wood..Its a lot to sand. Trying to do it by hand would lead to you having to be on a calming substance by the time you were done. And so...4VXuDk.jpg

"say hello to my little friend." (Think Pacino in Scarface).Mr Makita, the palm sander. :)

No, you dont rub it on the wing. You rub the wing on it while holding the sander stationary. It removes material at a comfortable rate, tends to work smoothly, provides a good finish with 220 paper, and is very controlable.

This is where the primed surface comes in. I held the sander upsidedown on my lap with one hand. It forms a vibrating tabletop. With my other hand, the wing is wiped across the surface of the sander. The key is to work from the edges inward in long continuous strokes. The finishingn sander doesnt remove material quickly but it will create a trough if t

you linger or concentrate in one spot. You can see the removal rate and postion by watching the primer...kUvXy3.jpg

5v2J4d.jpg

It isnt hard to keep material removeal relatively straight. 4X1l2J.jpg

YOfTIw.jpg

Once you work the edges in you can begin to lower the center using the same wiping and motion as used earlier.

g1IxwZ.jpg

Once youve sanded down to the ribs, its time for block sanding to smooth it all together. The tips were done with 220 paper on a foam pad to allow for the tip curvature and to end up with something like this...and if you fun meter isnt already on the peg, you get to do it again on the other side :)

aJSXct.jpg

Ultimately, the goal is to create two usable wings ready for skinning and details...

QwZfvl.jpg

2fByrb.jpg

PdvA1G.jpg

0ihiaG.jpg

fWLJ5y.jpg

nU1IpL.jpg

By the way, if you happen to like dust, doing this will make you happier than a gopher in soft dirt.

That brings this episode to a close. As always, I hope yo are all well. Be safe :)

Best

Geoff

Master craftsman at work ! That’s cool to look at.

Did you completely replaced the previous wing with the wooden one ? Or did you integrate wood on the existing one to create volume? 
All the best for your build (and the rest !)

Cheers.

Mathieu

Edited by MDuv

SO cool!  Sanding those wings must have been fun, because the results are sure rewarding.  Creating an aircraft from scratch I will never do for a hundred reasons (lack of skill, right tools, correct drawings, lack of skill, etc.), but I'm very jealous about what you and only a select few in these forums can accomplish with your minds and your hands.  Keep it up Geoff and thanks for the inspiration.

Cheers,

Chuck