RYAN STA 1/18

Ironwing

Now its off to the other side. Hopefully it will go more easily and then it can be shipped off to John in the UK.

I hope everyone is well..be safe.

Best

Geoff

Edited by Ironwing

On 4/14/2021 at 9:00 PM, Rockie Yarwood said:

Wonderful subject and great work so far!

Rockie,

Glad you looked in. I too think its a lovely subject. Now I hope I can do it...:)

Please visit again.

Best

Geoff

Greetings All,

So there has been some progress. Ive managed to turn two big blocks of wood into to smaller blocks of wood and LOTS of wood dust. If this had been done by had, it would have taken till Christmas. The belt sander saved tons of time, was a bit scary at times(especially when your finger accidentally touches the moving belt) but in the end, it came down to a block of wood with 220 paper on it to refine the nose. There are a couple of spots where the basswood meets the formers that I want to clean up with a bit of filler. When i made the maint formers, they were tacked together and final shaped while still tacked to ensure uniformity. Great idea, bad executon. I couldnt get the stack apart and ended up having to band saw the the individual pieces free of each other. Some spots got little wavey and didnt form good square mating surfaces. My own fault. Maybe the small gaps wornt matter to the vacform. I have no idea, but ill use some auto glazing filler  to fill any voids just to be safe.

Its pretty mundane stuff but a neccessary step.

Heres what it ended up being...zDHsJs.jpg

KJtzXI.jpg

wdsrp0.jpg

qM532y.jpg

For final shape checking, I used a contour guage. Its a bit time consuming but its and effective way to look at each side to make sure things are symetrical.

VgZDdj.jpg

7R4JlA.jpg

Comparing side to side...

esK8Nh.jpg

Theyll get wiped down with 400 paper to take off the fuzz and then it will be off to John Wilkes, in the UK for vacforming.

Until next time, be well and stay safe.

Best,

Geoff

Hello again,

Just a quickie. Fixed up the deficiencies I noted in my last update and I call it ready for the vacform. Maybe better to say its as good as I can get it. The wing will get sorted out next while the fuselage gets done.

cvFOCR.jpg

I need to work on picture quality...altho, there is a piece of drafting mylar over the drawing to protect it. It also allows me to work on the drawing without actually marking the drawing.

JyW5NU.jpg

Thats it for now boys and girls.

Stay safe

Geoff

I've got a question about your fuselage halves, because apart from playing around with the process I could do with some more learning.

Do you make an allowance for the thickness of the material when you form the plugs?

And, what happens with the flat bit down the centreline. Will the flat end up level with the bottom surface of the sheet, so you'd have to cut then sand away the excess back to the curved skin. Or will the flat end up level with the top surface of the sheet, so you'd cut off the excess at the bottom, then sand flat

I'm not sure I explained that very well. I've had problems with my vacforming where the junction between the moulded part and the scrap sheet ended up as a rather large radius. To get around this, I ended up adding 1/16" to the flat part so I could cut through the scrap above the radius

Richard