RYAN STA 1/18

Ironwing

On 4/6/2021 at 6:08 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Awesome project, Geoff! Remember that you can post multiple images in each post.

Kev

Kev

Thank you for looking in as well as your encouragment. I didt see a way to posy multiple images but Ill surely look for it this time.

Geoff

On 4/6/2021 at 6:16 PM, KiwiZac said:

I am excited. I've not seen enough Ryan STs in model form and such a large scale will make for a spectacular model.

Zac

Thanks for looking in..stay tuned

Geoff

Andy

I couldnt agree more with your sentimennt. The ST-A is a real beauty and aside from the old Hawk kit, Ive never seen one represented in this genre. Ive had these plans for at least forty years, including the plans from the old MAN article on Maxy Hester's(Sig) rendition of Gosney's original. I hope you stay tuned...

Geoff

On 4/6/2021 at 9:41 PM, JayW said:

Geoff - cannot tell you how happy I am to see you post, after a long time!  Interesting subject, following.

Jay

Its always good to hear from you. Id been secretly following along with your Corsair build from afar. Youre getting too good for me ole man. Im glad you looked in. I know its een a long time, I hope to be able to continue.

Thanks Bud...

Geoff

On 4/7/2021 at 8:44 AM, airscale said:

Yey - Geoff's back!

Really good to see you back Geoff and this looks like a wonderful subject to get your teeth into :)

can't wait to see this come together

Peter

Peter

From long ago to now, Im always glad to see youve looked in. This project might be better served in your capable hands. That said, Thank you for visiting and I hope youll continue to do so...

Best,

Geoff

On 4/7/2021 at 9:44 AM, chuck540z3 said:

Yeah, Geoff's back!  Good to see you Buddy and read about your progress, which is always half the fun of your projects.  You are right, that Ryan is pretty!

Cheers,

Chuck

Chuck

Its good to be back! Ive always enjoyed your work and your encouraging comments. For that I thank you. Stay tuned Bud

Best

Geoff

Greetings All,

A bit of progress on the Ryan. While there are lots of photos on the web of ST-As, finding detail information is proving problematic but it will show up someplace eventually.

I decided to start with the fuselage. Being of monocoque construction, there isnt much on the inside to support the center section of the model. I was concencernd that it would be too weak to support itself. Hence, I thought it best to vacform the whole thing. I wasnt having any success finding a supplier of vacform services until Johm Wilkes jumped in and saved the day.

So work is going forward on the fuselage plug. I had the drawings reduced accordingly(or as close as the printer could provide) to allow for material thickness. Much time was spent by carefully cutting the formers out of the reduced drawing, and laminating them down to a piece of .030 card. It then dawned on me that I only need three given that from STA-1 thru STA-4 is constant. From STA-4 to STA-8 is also a constant taper. STA-0 to STA-1 forms the nose.

oAZ1Mg.jpg

The base and formers were cut from .250" Birch Plywood using a small bandsaw. A little extra material was left on each for matching, then the formers were placed on each base plate respectively. The edges of the baseplate and formers were then hand sanded to shape while on the base plate with a long block wrapped in 180 paper. Trying to sand each former to shape individualy would give too much opportunity for size and shape discrepensies to creap in. Plywood is hard to sand so it took quite a lot of time to sand and maVhaCfe.jpgtch. The hard plywood edges also serve as a good stop once the basswood filler is put between them.

LTwsOD.jpg

I decided to do one side thru to the end to see how it would go. I used way too much Basswood filler which only increased the amount of time it took to sand it all down. Its fortunate that the belt sander is long enough to span STA-1 thru STA-4 and from STA-4 to STA-8. Had it not been long enough, It probably would have been difficult to keep countours consistent dictating a return to the long block and hand sanding. Close attention to thickness removal is needed constantly. The most delicate part of the operation

(if you can believe delicate with a belt sander) occurs at the aft surface of STA-4. At that point, the fuselage begins to taper into the tail cone. Its a sharp change with no blend. The aft surface of the STA-4 former was purposely aligned with the break in contour leaving the .250 inch forward of the break to act as a solid stop. The belt sander made it mso much easier. 3GekKv.jpg