1:32nd scale Hansa-Brandenburg W.20

sandbagger

Hi all,
The tailplane support struts are done.
These were created 0.8 mm diameter brass rod and 1.6.0 mm diameter brass tube.
These were formed using my 'Albion Alloy's 'Strutter' tool and then soft soldered.
Below are the tailplane struts temporarily fitted.

Now to do the last sets of struts for the wing floats,

Mike

interplane6.jpg

Hi all,
The last of the strut work is done.
These are the support struts for the two wing floats.
There will also be bracing wires fitted, but later in the build.
These were created 0.8 mm diameter brass rod and 1.6.0 mm diameter brass tube.
These were formed using my 'Albion Alloy's 'Strutter' tool,

Mike

interplane9.jpg

Hi all,
I've been working on creating the engine support frame, which was located between the centre sections of the upper and lower wings.
Nothing is supplied in the kit for this frame, apart from two bits of wire and a rather rough side drawing of the side of the aircraft.
Quite how 'Omega Models' expect any modeler to fabricate this frame from the kit is a bit of a joke.
Anyway I've made the bottom half of the frame soft soldered from 0.8 mm diameter brass tube using heavily modified 'Connec+o' joiners from 'Albion Alloy's'.
The front under plate at the top of the frame is made from 0.2 mm plastic card and the two rear side filler plates from scrap photo-etch.
The completed frame will also require cross bracing wires to be fitted as well as the engine assembly of course.

Now it's onto the top half of the frame,

Mike

esf8.jpg

Hi all,
The top struts of the engine support frame have been added.
I'm now working on the 'basic' engine installation.
The kit supplied resin engine was a bit rough so is being replaced by a 'Wingnut Wings' 7 cylinder Oberursel U.0 (80 HP), kindly donated for this build by both Mark Elliot and Przemyslaw Litewka. 
The engine backing disc was made from 0.2 mm thick plastic card with a 0.5 mm diameter styrene rim ('Plastruct').
The engine shaft is 2.0 mm diameter tube (Albion Alloy's) stepped down to a 1.0 mm internal bore and 1.0 mm rod soft soldered in each end.
The resin breather at the front of the engine shaft was cut from the resin kit part.

Now it's onto trying to figure out the control components fitted on the shaft from illustrations and a couple of photographs,

Mike

eng8.jpg

Hi all,
Here's some shots of the basic engine installation.
There's still the engine to finish and pipework and rigging to be added later in the build.
The engine oil pump and HT ignition unit were scratched as was the representation of the carburetor on the air intake.
Inlet holes were drilled around the air intake,

Mike

fus5.jpg

fus6.jpg

fus7.jpg

Hi all,
Here's the engine and the oil tank with scratch made oil pump and HT ignition unit.
The engine push rods were replaced with 0.6 mm diameter Brass tube and 0.4 mm diameter Nickel-Silver tube.
Ignition leads were twisted 0.125 mm diameter copper wire.
The engine propeller shaft and rear mounting lug were removed to modify the engine with a shaft and different propeller.
There's still various pipework to be fitted, which has to wait until further in the build,

Mike

engdone1.jpg

engdone2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,
I've applied the decals to the model.
The base colour, despite most profiles showing it a light blue, was more probably the standard light grey.
This was 'Tamiya' Medium Sea Grey 2 (XF83) lightly airbrushed over a Dark Sea Grey (XF54) base coat.
The kit supplied lozenge decals were replaced with ‘Aviattic’ linen effect Lozenge (ATT32113).
Undersides of the flight surfaces were covered with ‘Aviattic’ linen weave effect (ATT32236).
The instrument panel was scratched using plastic card, decal from 'Airscale’ Generic WW1 instruments (AS32 WW1) and bezels from ‘Airscale’ Instrument Bezels (PE32 BEZ).
I decided to cut out and use the kit supplied markings, despite them being very fragile and not 'cookie' cut.
Light weathering was done using 'Flory Models' Dark Dirt and Grey fine clay washes.
Everything was sealed with 'Alclad' Light Sheen (ALC-311) clear coat lacquer.
Other weathering was then applied using 'AK Interactive' Kerosene (AK2039) and 'Tamiya' Weathering Master Set D  (Oil stain).

Now it's onto pre-rigging before assembly can start,

Mike

decaldone1.jpg

decaldone2.jpg

Edited by sandbagger

Excellent paint job.  The Aviattic lozenge is always a good choice.

Slightly random question, but what's the size of this thing? In my mind, it's a pretty small aircraft, but I've been wrong before on some WW1 stuff.

Matt 

12 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Excellent paint job.  The Aviattic lozenge is always a good choice.

Slightly random question, but what's the size of this thing? In my mind, it's a pretty small aircraft, but I've been wrong before on some WW1 stuff.

Matt 

Hi Matt,

It was pretty small as the intention was that as a spotter plane, it would be be disassembled and carried inside a water tight compartment on a new, large class of submarine.

It was then to be assembled when the submarine surfaced and launched then recovered and stored back in the container.

However, the aircraft wasn't very good and the war ended before the submarines could be built.

Only three prototypes were built and these were stored and found by the allies after the war.

Mike

General specifications for the second version Ser No:1552:

Length – 19 ft 5 1/8 in (5.925m)

Wingspan - 22 ft 3 ¾ in (6.8 m)

Wing area - 171sq ft (15.82sq m) 

Empty weight - 871lb (396 kg)

Loaded weight - 1,250lb (568kg)

Engine - 80hp Oberursel U0

Propeller - 2 bladed fixed pusher type

Armament - None

Performance:

Maximum speed - 115 km/hour 

Climb rate - 3,280 ft (1000m) in 15 min

Endurance - 1 1/4 hour

Interesting, much smaller than I would have expected.  Not quite as small as the Port Victoria that you built, but still a little plane.  Cool that they had the same idea that the later M6 Seiran had in WW2.

Matt 

Hi all,
All of the pre-rigging has been added prior to assembly of the model.
The line used is 'Stroft' 0.08 mm diameter mono-filament with blackened 0.4 mm diameter Brass tube from 'Albion Alloy's'.
All of the lines have yet to be tensioned and turnbuckles to be painted, which can only be done after assembly of the various parts.

Mike

prerig1.jpg

prerig2.jpg

prerig3.jpg

prerig4.jpg

prerig5.jpg

prerig6.jpg

prerig7.jpg