1:32nd scale Hansa-Brandenburg W.20

sandbagger

Hi all,
I've added control horns and control cable ports for the ailerons and rudder.
Next up is to represent the aileron control inspection panels, fuselage rear grab handles, wing stacking pads and rib tapes for the tail plane, elevators and ailerons.

None of the above are represented or supplied in the kit.

Mike

ailhorns1.jpg

ailhorns2.jpg

rudhorns.jpg

Hi all,
The rudder, elevators and tail plane were linen covered structures with rib tapes covering the linen joins.
It is unclear if the fin was covered with wood paneling or linen.
The photographs available suggest that it was linen, as the fin structure can be see under the covering.
So I've gone for a linen covered fin.
Although rib tapes are represented on the wings and ailerons of the kit, they are not represented elsewhere.
Created using 0.2 mm thick plastic card which was then sanded ,

Mike

fincovering.jpg

tapes.jpg

Hi Matt,

Generic photo-etch - I use ‘Jadar’ WW1 1:48th scale control horns (S48087).

https://www.jadarhobby.pl/part-s48087-148-wwi-aircraft-control-horns-p-297.html?language=en&manufacturers_id=284

https://www.super-hobby.cz/products/contolhorns.html#gallery_start

Mike

Edited by sandbagger

Mike,

what I'm always stumped by is the speed with which you go through those kits and then end with those incredibly detailed pieces. It feels like an assembly line you got going there. I'm in awe.

Oh and the other thing I've noted (for my references) is that you seem to be using a lot of 1/48 stuff, like those turnbuckles, etc. Just because they appear more in scale then the supposed in scale variants of the same parts. Plus you must have a book-sized stack of Aviattic decals on hand :)

And then seeing how you tackle kits like this, where most people probably open the box, look at the instructions, close the box again and put it at the bottom of their stack. And you just go for it.

Onwards and upwards!

Hi Sky,

Thanks.

I'm retired so have plenty of time to build models.

Although I do build the more common 'run of the mill' WW1 models, I prefer a model that offers more of a challenge.

Hence I do build resin kits, which can be good, such as 'Lukgraph', 'Aviattic', 'HPH Models' etc.

On the other hand some resin kits are not so good and there lies the challenge.

I guess at the end of the day, I like to think we are modelers, not just builders.

I've collected one of every WW1 aircraft type made in 1:32nd scale and am working my way through them.

The trouble is these days, thankfully, kits in this scale are being produced quicker than I can build them, so my stash never seems to decrease.

Mike

Hi all,
The kit supplied lower wing needed some major changes.
I used the few photographs available for this aircraft and the drawings in the ‘Windsock’ World War Centenary (Spring 2015, Vol.31, No.1).

Basically the kit wing needed to be modified for the following reasons:
The wing leading edge had more of a swept angle than that moulded on the kit wing.
The centre section of the leading edge had a recess, to allow the forward wing struts and engine support frame to be fitted to the fuselage.
The lower wing and the upper wing had 'stacking' pads fitted into the wing leading edges (2 upper and four lower wing).
The centre cut-out in the trailing edge of the lower wing did not have square corners, but was fitted with quadrant fillet panels.
The upper surface of the lower wing had walk boards fitted at the wing roots.
The rear of the centre section of the lower wing had two slots through the wing to allow fitting of the wing rear struts into the fuselage.  

Mike

lowwing2.jpg

Hi all,
The lower wing was not fitted directly to the top of the fuselage but was located on four mountings and just clear of the fuselage.
The front a rear wing spars of the lower wing passed across the fuselage through these mountings.
The kit instructions show the mountings, but they are not supplied in the kit.
Therefore representations of the mountings need to be created. 
The mountings were made from brackets in the ‘Jadar’ WW1 1:48th scale control horns (S48087) photo-etch set and 0.5 mm diameter Brass rod.
I also used 0.5 mm rod to make the grab handles for the rear of the fuselage, which again are not supplied in the kit,

Mike

grabhandle2.jpg

lowwingmounts.jpg

lowwingmount3.jpg

mountsdone1.jpg

mountsdone2.jpg

mountsdone3.jpg

Hi all,
The inner and outer interplane struts supplied in the kit are resin and without any internal metal reinforcing rods.
This makes the brittle resin of the struts weak and liable to breaking during handling when assembling the model.
Therefore I decided to recreate these struts using 1.0 mm diameter brass rod and 2.0 mm diameter brass tube.
These were formed using my 'Albion Alloy's 'Strutter' tool and then soft soldered.
Below are the outer interplane struts temporarily fitted so I can accurately measure and make the inner interplane struts.

Mike

interplane4.jpg

Looking good Mike. Those PART sets are useful. If you haven't yet glued on the lower wing, then throw a bit of paint in that area now and also the wing underside. Looks like it will be impossible later. Regards, Pete in RI

8 hours ago, europapete said:

Looking good Mike. Those PART sets are useful. If you haven't yet glued on the lower wing, then throw a bit of paint in that area now and also the wing underside. Looks like it will be impossible later. Regards, Pete in RI

Hi Pete,

I've had to temporarily fix the upper wing and struts using thin CA adhesive.

Once the inner struts are made I'll remove the wing and struts to proceed with the build.

I should be able to twist each strut to break the bond and remove them - at least that's the plan,

Mike

3 hours ago, europapete said:

Yep, that will work, but I meant between the lower wing and the fuselage. Sorry, sometimes the words don't come out right lol

Hi Pete,

Aaah - the wings and struts are all removed now and as I thought, a twist of the struts broke the CA bond, so all good,

Mike