WNW Albatros DVa "The Bavarians"

Greif8

I finished this build today a bit before noon.  It is one of the "Brown Box" WNW kits that they sold near the end of their existence last year.  The aircraft represents the Albatros DVa flown by Hans Böhning, a 17 victory ace assigned to Bavarian Squadron 76b.  I thought the color scheme was eye catching and wanted to try out the wood decals from Proper Plane, so decided to build the aircraft in those colors.  I also used a Proper Plane "Prop and Pipe" set, as well as some Taurus spark plugs, Gas Patch turnbuckles and Spandaus and HGW seatbelt.  The figures are by Model Cellar and were fun to build and paint.  

Ernest

IMG_3043

The first of a few "in progress" photos.  The engine has not been weathered yet.  I scratched the ignition wires and control cables.

IMG_3051

Close up of the engine, still in factory fresh condition.

IMG_3064

IMG_3069

IMG_3071

IMG_3073

IMG_3076

IMG_3087

IMG_3067

IMG_3074

IMG_3075

IMG_3078

IMG_3081

IMG_3083

IMG_3089

IMG_3090

Edited by Greif8

12 hours ago, PrzemoL said:

Verrry nice. Great details, lovely colourful scheme. The essence of Albatros!

11 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

Lovely, nice werk on der chaps too.

9 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Lovely! Great work on a really attractive model.

7 hours ago, Whitey said:

Superb.

Thank you for the compliments guys, you are very kind.  PrzemoL, I used the rigging guide you made some years ago and it was very helpful.  I plan to build the Sopwith Pup next and am going to try out the fishing line, anchor points and micro tubing method that you describe in your guide.  I used EZ Line and GP turnbuckles on this build - and my three previous WNW builds as well; so I think it is time to try another method out.

Ernest

15 hours ago, FreightDog said:

Just amazing. You WW1 guys use dark magic to do your art, I'm in awe. You've really painted life to those figures too and the base just tops it off

13 hours ago, Cicciuzzo said:

all wonderful: airplane, puppets and diorama:clap2:

4 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Beautiful work, Ernest!

Thank you for the kind words guys!  

Ernest

On 4/5/2021 at 10:15 AM, Greif8 said:

Thank you for the compliments guys, you are very kind.  PrzemoL, I used the rigging guide you made some years ago and it was very helpful.  I plan to build the Sopwith Pup next and am going to try out the fishing line, anchor points and micro tubing method that you describe in your guide.  I used EZ Line and GP turnbuckles on this build - and my three previous WNW builds as well; so I think it is time to try another method out.

Ernest

I am glad that you find my tutorial useful. Good luck with your next builds.

13 hours ago, PrzemoL said:

I am glad that you find my tutorial useful. Good luck with your next builds.

Thank you sir, and I hope you also have many great and fun builds in your future.

Ernest

8 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Ernest, I love seeing each and every one of your builds, and the figures you bring to life really bring the entire build to life! 

Cheers,  Tom

Thank you for the kind words Tom!

Sincerely,

Ernest