A good read, and some great photos

Happened across this today.  Interesting article, with some outstanding photos.

Part 1) Hunting for jets in the High Sierra with Camden Thrasher | Hagerty Media

Part 2) “An immense fault in the earth”: The hunt for jets continues (msn.com)

I go off roading in these areas a few times a year and have seen some aircraft, but never anything like the photos in the articles. I'm definately going to keep my eyes peeled the next time  we are up there.

Edited by Ayovan

I used to love it when spectators would wave at me on a low level. It’s not anything you are actively looking for- you just happen to notice it if you are looking in the right spot for that brief nano-second at 9 miles per minute trying not to hit the ground or anything attached to it. Low level over the water was an easier environment to spot spectators..cause they’re on boats.

cool story!

cheers

Pete

Thanks for sharing. A LOT of memories just came flooding back and too many stories to tell (2058 and the Jedi Transition was one of those special spots). I agree w/ Pig too btw--you were always too busy to actually pay attention to anything other than the task at hand.  That being said, I vividly recall a flight off Western Australia. Probably a couple hour drive north of Perth/Freemantle.  We happened upon a small group of four wheelers parked on a moon shaped cove. We circled back around and gave them a good 15 minute air show before proceeding inland with our hair on fire. No people to file noise complaints and no controlling agency (ATC) that I remember. After herding roos down low we headed back to the boat.  One of those flights that made you ask yourself, "And I'm getting PAID for this?!" 

Great article and photos. My experiences in Wis were in the 60s & 70s seeing B 52s from K I Sawyer flying at treetop level, first you would hear the roar that military jets make, a brief glance overhead. The other area was from the palisades at the junction of the Wisconsin & Mississippi rivers when the planes would fly below the ridge and you would look down on F 102s. Same roar and brief glance. Most recent example was in the early 2000s. Heard the roar in Sheboygan Wi and turned out to be a B 2 flying quite low, looked to be about 500 ft. By then you could look up things on the internet, I read that the B 2 was returning from a shoe in Michigan.

I can only imagine the rush of flying nap of the earth, at those kind of speeds. That has to be one of the most exhilarating things you can do with your pants still on. I envy anyone who has had that experience.

Andy

Edited by Ayovan

• 2 weeks later...

I remember my own experience in getting a personal airshow.

In Oregon, on Memorial Day, fishing boats would gather at sea off Depot Bay on the central Oregon Coast and the ANG would traditionally do a fly over for the event(don't know if they still do that). I happened to be beachcombing about 10 miles north of the event and saw them fly by on the way to the event. Several minutes later, they came back over the ocean on the way back to Portland. As they flew just west of me, the two F-4's broke into an impromptu dogfight over the ocean. I watched in amazement as they wove down to the deck, then one broke east and flew right over me. It was awesome! Too bad it was pre-smart phone days and I wasn't carrying a camera, but it was a blast to watch.