Whats the best way to paint wheels/tires?

7VehFx.jpg

i am working on a P 47 and have a WIP going, my first LSP as an adult.  I returned to the hobby via armor models in 1/35, and picked up skills as i went. I also painted figures until i was comfortable displaying them with my tanks.  I found that the detail work transferred well to things like cockpits. 

i am really struggling with getting a good result on these resin tires and wheels.  The “show” side, fortunately, on this model, features a separate cover that has been painted separate from the “rubber”, and gives an excellent, crisp, line. 

on armor, roadwheels, jeeps, etc, i used a trick, i have a plastic circle stencil card that has a perfect fit for everything i ever tried to paint with it. Shoot the tire color, then stencil the hub and boom, perfect. 

i tried that with these, but the hub has raised detail, and the stencil is a bit thick, and it was a perfect storm. I stripped the wheels and started over, which, now that I'm not a kid, is no big deal.  I want it done right, not right now. 

I started looking around and found a compass cutter, which seemed perfect, but the issue is getting the hole exactly the right size.  I thought i had it, but when i pulled the masks, it didnt look great. I used alclad on the hubs, so any touch up will be a different paint. I tried to touch up the edge of the rims, and it looks better than it did, but they are not great. 

i see the wips here and it looks like most people have this dialed in. 

Any tips or tricks would be very much appreciated. 

Bill

I think you're on the right track!  I always paint my centres first and mask them but as you say, getting the right diameter is key.  I'm lucky in that I use a Silhouette cutter for all my masks so getting the right size isn't a problem.

12 minutes ago, mozart said:

I think you're on the right track!  I always paint my centres first and mask them but as you say, getting the right diameter is key.  I'm lucky in that I use a Silhouette cutter for all my masks so getting the right size isn't a problem.

So is it a matter of just figuring the exact diameter and having it make a mask of that size?

2 hours ago, Citadelgrad said:

So is it a matter of just figuring the exact diameter and having it make a mask of that size?

That’s what works for me! If you need to tidy up the rim/tyre edge some paint of the right consistency will “wick” around the edge - capillary action. :D

I’ve always used this technique, first, primer, then the color of the (wheel/ rim). Then I burnish it down on the wheel nice and tight. Then, with a new sharp #11 blade I slowly trace the edge of the wheel/ rim. Paint the tire what ever color you have decided and remove the tape. It should look good.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

May I offer a different suggestion.

1. Spray the complete tire rim and all a rubber or NATO black color. 

2. Dry brush your aluminum rim, this will ensure crisp lines.

3. Touch up the metal color on the tire with the same NATO or rubber paint.

Works really well.

15229003609_de0de1ee36_k.jpg

15412660021_29c73b0612_k.jpg

Edited by Ryan

Another technique that works for me is to paint the whole thing tire color, mask to the wheel as close as possible and paint the wheel color. Then make an oil wash similar to your tire color and apply it right at the line where the wheel and tire meet. It will capillary around the perimeter and pretty much hide any overspray. You may have to repeat the wash a couple of times.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/2/2021 at 4:12 AM, mozart said:

I also find the silhouette machine invaluable for this - especially for 1:144 airliners where the masks you need are way too small for a compass cutter.  I will pick which order to paint in (wheel, then tire versus tire, then wheel) based on the part.  Some kit wheels have raised center sections that protrude beyond the sides of the tire.  This makes it difficult to securely mask off the wheel if it’s painted first.  So for those I’ll spray the tire color (or tyre colour for those who speak odd varieties of English) first and then make a donut mask to cover the tire while I paint the wheel color.