F-4S VF-202 decals

Anders_Isaksson

I suppose there are no decals for this F-4S?

Google tells me no.

https://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Navy/McDonnell-Douglas-F-4S-Phantom-II/676821?qsp=eJwtjLEKwkAQBX9FtjagUSzSaWGroNgvd08NRu/YXdAj5N9dD7th3mNGCull%2BNi5ZFBHCpZwpzllFn4qdSM9UN5JojNdm/Vpdtk37aL1iyaxXXEd2bANAdkQ//4gEfKboKHWbl5fOkCOlWm1cR97zQPXBoz7gabpC8nCLzI%3D

If nothing else I plan to cut masks but a decal sheet would be great to use as a prototype for designing the masks.

I think decals will work fine for any low-viz stenciling that may be needed, which I can take from any available F-4 decal sheet.

6 hours ago, Anders_Isaksson said:

I suppose there are no decals for this F-4S?

Google tells me no.

https://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Navy/McDonnell-Douglas-F-4S-Phantom-II/676821?qsp=eJwtjLEKwkAQBX9FtjagUSzSaWGroNgvd08NRu/YXdAj5N9dD7th3mNGCull%2BNi5ZFBHCpZwpzllFn4qdSM9UN5JojNdm/Vpdtk37aL1iyaxXXEd2bANAdkQ//4gEfKboKHWbl5fOkCOlWm1cR97zQPXBoz7gabpC8nCLzI%3D

If nothing else I plan to cut masks but a decal sheet would be great to use as a prototype for designing the masks.

I think decals will work fine for any low-viz stenciling that may be needed, which I can take from any available F-4 decal sheet.

Yeah, no one but AOA and some older CAM sheets that I know of are still around for the S. That particular scheme seems a perfect candidate for masks IMHO. 

Low vis areas blend well and from there its only 3 colors on the tail, a star and some numbers/lettering and your there.

Personally, with how well home printed masks have worked for me, and how great they look in the end if done right, personally Id go for masks on that one even if decals were available, but thats just me. 

Hi,

I have at least two sets of 1/32 F-4S decal sheets but indeed, the releases for that mark were very limited and they are OOP for at least ten years except some CAM/Milspecs possible re-releases. Moreover, you're on your own for such a unit scheme. Note that some low-viz markings decals were also released by Cutting edge for F-4Js (Keith-Ferris scheme test). So, if you're looking for a set to solve the stencils issue, do not limit your search to F-4S. Fortunately such planes did not have many technical markings.

Hth

Thierry

17 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Hi,

I have at least two sets of 1/32 F-4S decal sheets but indeed, the releases for that mark were very limited and they are OOP for at least ten years except some CAM/Milspecs possible re-releases. Moreover, you're on your own for such a unit scheme. Note that some low-viz markings decals were also released by Cutting edge for F-4Js (Keith-Ferris scheme test). So, if you're looking for a set to solve the stencils issue, do not limit your search to F-4S. Fortunately such planes did not have many technical markings.

Hth

Thierry

I always thought the Phantom was covered in so much stencilling that it affected the total weight and performance!

Good to know the low-viz S had less of the small stuff. Sure makes life easier. :)

19 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Yeah, no one but AOA and some older CAM sheets that I know of are still around for the S. That particular scheme seems a perfect candidate for masks IMHO. 

Low vis areas blend well and from there its only 3 colors on the tail, a star and some numbers/lettering and your there.

Personally, with how well home printed masks have worked for me, and how great they look in the end if done right, personally Id go for masks on that one even if decals were available, but thats just me. 

Yes, but having an actual decal sheet at hand makes it easier designing the masks - or at least I believe so.
I don't have much experience in creating masks just yet, but this subject seems to be one of the easier to start off with.