RFI Kinetic 1/48 SU-33

Neo

Hello everyone

Today i have for you my latest build in 1/48, the Kinetic SU-33. 

Im a huge fan of the SU-33 and ive been waiting 4 ever to get one in 1/32 but since that day is still unknow i decided to built the 1/48 version.

As of writing this there is a brand new kit on the block the Mini Base one that from what ive seen is close to GWH amazing SU lineup. 

But today we are talking about the Kinetic kit

Build Details

Kit : Kinetic 1/48 SU-33
Paints : MRP SU-33 camo (199,200,201) and Russian cockpit Turquoise ( i know now that su-33 dont actually use this color but this is what i had) and ta whole lot of Alclad II for the burners
AM : Eduard B-8M1 Rocket launcher , Master Pitot tube
Marking: Kit decals (fictitious Bort number :P and J's Work paint mask ( DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT ITS F^%$*&^$ HORRIBLE ) 

The Kit
First impressions while looking at the sprues is amazing, the level of details parts breakdown armement is all really good. and its BIG! probably a good thing i didn't get a 1/32 !
My previous build being a Hasegawa 1/48 tomcat i would says that this kit is better but faces some of the same issues. 
- Nose cone dosent fit great and needs some love
- Intakes need some tweaks to fitting the rear (having just done the F-14 i had muscle memory! ) 

Appart from these point and the terrible instruction this kit is really good great details shape decals options ect especially at a retail price of 43$-59$ usd

Final results

kmKXow2.jpg

9o5DNEv.jpg

b2SB0NE.jpg

vGu6RSL.jpg

sf5SXgg.jpg

lAb3lwF.jpg

sB3yGHC.jpg

after receiving the beautiful Eduard B-8M1 Rocket launcher i realized that i needed dual pilons, so i set off to build them myself
now I'm really not a scratch builder so this is like the Monalisa at my skill level! 
Pilons
Yuv7wsO.jpg

Here is the rant part of this build. im not one to bash at something but this product is the worst POS ever. 
wasted tons of my time , got super bad result, the camo is not even accurate.

This is the tail of the kit placed on the mask for it. i get the fact to have some wiggle room but this looks like it fits a 1/32 kit better
It was like this for all the kit so for all the colors i had to guess where it actually goes but it also made color section bigger or smaller then the should be

MCwATZk.jpg

So after all the hard work of figuring this masking i finally removed then to discover this! 
None of the mask where actually clean cut, you could feel it when coming off the backing sheet but didn't think it would cause an issue.
I was DEAD WRONG

xCaL3u4.jpg
The fix, well since you only mask 2 colors out of the 3 i tool my #11 and recut the outlines for what is the light blue, the reapplied the masking's,
i also did a bunch by placing some tape on the model, drawing on it based on what i saw under took it off cut it then replaced
OMG this took for ever!! 
fix
QT3o51m.jpg

So Rant is over, lesson learned NEVER BUY J'S work mask, thank god MRP paint is thin! 

At the end of the day this was a super fun 3 months build. and it look amazing to me! 

kmKXow2.jpg

Thanks for looking

2 hours ago, GDW said:

This looks really great Neo, one to be proud of!

Thank you. 

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Those exhaust nozzles look great!  Nice work!

Thanks, this is my first ever russian aircraft, to exhaust where a decent head scratcher. 

21 hours ago, Daniel Leduc said:

Wow, very nice, I love it.....specialy your metal work, very realistic,

just hope mine come close to yours, if I ever finish it...

A winner my friend,  :goodjob:

Dan.

Thanks Daniel

mens allot, this was  a big challenge being the first Russian bird and seing so many talented modelers do an amazing job at it im happy the result is appreciated! 

A bientot

I was just eyeing my Kinetic build (on hold temporarily) after seeing photos of the Minibase sprues, and realized I am content with my kit. The detail and fit are right on, and your build shows just what a great kit it really is. Excellent job! I have the DN Masks so hope I fare better. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

On 4/1/2021 at 9:09 PM, Uncarina said:

I was just eyeing my Kinetic build (on hold temporarily) after seeing photos of the Minibase sprues, and realized I am content with my kit. The detail and fit are right on, and your build shows just what a great kit it really is. Excellent job! I have the DN Masks so hope I fare better. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,  Tom

Hey Tom

yeah the mini base kit looks nice ,its  kinda like comparing a hasegawa kit to a tamiya kit really. Im satisfied with the kinetic offering, if i would build a second one i would download the min base instruction that would probably help! i would have saved a moth of the build if it wasn't for the **** J's word masks! 

If your doing it wings up be sure to sand down the main hinge part so that it slide freely in the wing, the fwd and rear part need some trimming and its easier if you can slide the wind on and off

On 4/1/2021 at 9:36 PM, markiii said:

Nice work on the Su-33. I have the same kit in the stash, plus some Reskit engine nozzles, Master pitot and paint masks from AeroMasks (I hope these work well).

You should built it its a great display piece

thanks for the nice comments and drooping by ! 

35 minutes ago, mustang1989 said:

You came away from that build a winner!!! All paint, detail and weathering work is just astounding! Beautiful aircraft build Neo!! 

Thanks you for the kind word.

Means allot coming form all of you!!!