AMC DH.9a (1/32, Wingnut Wings)

PrzemoL

Let me present the model I built last year. It is the Vulcan built Airco DH.9a - H3633 "30" from 30 Sqn used in Iraq in 1924 to police the Empire. This crate was flown by Sqn Ldr James Rabb.

Modifications to the otherwise excellent kit (as usual for WNW):
- added missing electric, air and fuel installations
- a couple of added switches in the cockpit
- Pheon Models PE spoked wheels
- individual markings airbrushed with custom made masks (thank you, Mr. Decal)
- a few Gaspatch turnbuckles
- two streamers at the red interplane struts

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg

20200902-222728.jpg

That is superb. :goodjob:

One question, as I'm contemplating the Pheon etched wheels for my own Ninak: are they robust enough to take the weight long term? They appear so from the photos,  what do you think?

44 minutes ago, MikeC said:

That is superb. :goodjob:

One question, as I'm contemplating the Pheon etched wheels for my own Ninak: are they robust enough to take the weight long term? They appear so from the photos,  what do you think?

IMHO, the PE spoked wheels are very robust. Basically they work as the original ones, and they stand the loading without any problems. Also let us remember that the real spokes are definitely more slender than those in any aftermarket PE pieces (the matter of the technology, I guess). BTW, if the material was resin, one could suspect some rheological problems under long-term load but with brass it is surely not the case. I already have a handful of 32nd scale models with PE spoked wheels, the earliest one is 8 years old and I see no problems with it. So I strongly recommend PE spoked wheels and especially this Pheon product because it is designed for very easy assembly with everything finely aligned to the wheel centre - do not hesitate if you can still get it.

And many thanks to all for your overwhelmingly positive welcome to my Ninak.

33 minutes ago, PrzemoL said:

IMHO, the PE spoked wheels are very robust. Basically they work as the original ones, and they stand the loading without any problems. Also let us remember that the real spokes are definitely more slender than those in any aftermarket PE pieces (the matter of the technology, I guess). BTW, if the material was resin, one could suspect some rheological problems under long-term load but with brass it is surely not the case. I already have a handful of 32nd scale models with PE spoked wheels, the earliest one is 8 years old and I see no problems with it. So I strongly recommend PE spoked wheels and especially this Pheon product because it is designed for very easy assembly with everything finely aligned to the wheel centre - do not hesitate if you can still get it.

And many thanks to all for your overwhelmingly positive welcome to my Ninak.

Many thanks, that's reassuring.