Yakovlev-40 "Aeroflot" [1:144 AZ Model]

Alex

This is going to be a very small build thread, as befits a very small (and simple) model.  I have a bad habit, during boring Zoom meetings, of surfing eBay for short-run kits of obscure aviation subjects.  As a result, I have a growing stack of such kits, most originating in eastern Europe, which is apparently the epicenter of such things.  While trying to rekindle my enthusiasm for the current 1:32 warbird build, I started pulling these down and inspecting the contents.  This one seemed so simple that I thought I could throw it together in a couple of days before coming to grips with "serious modeling" again.  In one of the supplied Aeroflot liveries, it would make a nice sidekick to my recently finished Ilyushin-62M.

pmRNfc3Zj

Interestingly, I could not find a photo on line that precisely matched the painting directions for any of the three supplied schemes.  I'm aiming for something like this aircraft:

poe6q2ZJj

This is the lowest parts-count kit I've ever done.  But the decal sheet is actually very nice.

poFgD6hoj

The landing gear in particular are only "suggestive" in form, although with a scalpel and a file and some time I was able to make them a bit better.  The front gear is molded all of a piece, wheel, tire, and all, so I had to dust off some brush-painting "skills".  Regardless, I put it together mainly aiming at having what Kev has called a "platform for decals" rather than a detailed model.  Especially on the ill-fitting undersides, I did not attempt to restore erased (overscale) panel lines or anything like that.  Here it is painted up:

pmcgJhm1j

I'm going to attach the side engine nacelles after doing the decals, rather than trying to wrap the cheat line decal around the nacelle pylon.

43 minutes ago, jenshb said:

You're putting a lot of faith into the bond between the decal and the fuselage to hold the engines...;)

I'm going to cut away the decal film where it overlays the flat spot that the nacelle mounts to before I wet the decal.  So I will be gluing onto the paint layer at least (and it's Mr Color lacquer, so it is *stuck* to the plastic).  As soon as I thought about this I saw the decal film peeling off under the weight of that nacelle....

Until a few years ago, I had the VEB Plasticart 1/100 YAK-40 kit:

NU-BEE (VEB PLASTICART) 1/100 Aeroflot Yakovlev YAK-40 Jet Airliner Model  Kit | #514434384

I wish I still had it (even if it is a bear of a kit), as I would like to make it as one of these:

i-jake-real-fill-600x394.jpg

Failing that, I may have to try and obtain the same kit as you Alex, as I believe that it already contains the Olympic markings? (I also have the welsh Models Olympic SH-330, so would fit in I suppose?).

Derek

3 hours ago, Derek B said:

Until a few years ago, I had the VEB Plasticart 1/100 YAK-40 kit:

NU-BEE (VEB PLASTICART) 1/100 Aeroflot Yakovlev YAK-40 Jet Airliner Model  Kit | #514434384

I wish I still had it (even if it is a bear of a kit), as I would like to make it as one of these:

i-jake-real-fill-600x394.jpg

Failing that, I may have to try and obtain the same kit as you Alex, as I believe that it already contains the Olympic markings? (I also have the welsh Models Olympic SH-330, so would fit in I suppose?).

Derek

Derek, unfortunately the version of the kit that I have does not include the Olympic livery.  It has two Aeroflot schemes and one Air Libya.  I wonder if there’s an aftermarket decal sheet that covers it?

Nice to see yet another airliner project from you, Alex. It's already looking good!

Some years ago I built the Master Modell 1/100 Yak-40, which I believe is a rebox of the VEB Plasticart kit that Derek mentioned. Not a great kit at all, so I'm sure the AZ Model one you're building is better.

LzALXH.jpg

Kev

Well, dubious kit it might be, but it looks like you got a nice result out of it.  The AZ Model kit is no worse than you would expect for an inexpensive short run kit.  I also have their IL-18 kit, which on brief inspection looks likely to be more of a slog.

And that's a wrap.  I made a little bit of trouble for myself by starting the decal process with the cockpit windows.  Lacking any engraved detail on the model indicating where the windows were located, I managed to get it on a bit lower than it should be, which had knock on consequences for the other decals that ran to the front of the plane.  But overall I think it's not too noticeable.  I think it looks OK at shelf range, which is all it needs to do as a 3-day project to add one more member to the growing 1:144 civil air fleet in my office.

poHFG2eJj

One thing that's obvious from the completed model is that the main gear legs are overscale not only in general chunkiness but also in length - the back of the plane sits too high.

po8WLxZLj

pmrAGG21j

po6Ljzrmj

1 hour ago, LSP_Kevin said:

That's turned out brilliantly for such a fast build, Alex! Quite an impressive collection you're building now.

Kev

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

Amazing! The design with the 3rd engine and color scheme really pop. Well done!

Thanks guys.  I’m enjoying the mini airline shelf as it grows.  There are at least a half dozen more waiting in the wings, although none as small/quick/simple as the Yak-40.