Any interest in an aftermarket Merlin engine/P-51 engine bay?

rtwpsom2

11 hours ago, rtwpsom2 said:

I have found a few things I need to do better for the next print but I think I'd want to try and model a lot more parts to go with it.

The way you are doing this engine, you could do something like a 1/8 with all the high detail parts and build them into something like a shadow box.  Tamiya does this now and then with their motorcycle kits and some things like that and it really looks amazing.  

I have an old thread in the WIP forum that is the main thread where I have been updating the progress on the engine, I probably won't do to much in the way of patreon only updates so you can either check that thread for new info or follow the link below to see my blog page.  Thank you guys for the input and I look forward to seeing you in the other thread. Also thank you to my new patron, you know who you are.  ;)

Being a complete 3D printing novice, and having no knowledge whatsoever about cost and time, I'm curious what it would cost to design and print a full 1/32 fighter kit? I'm working my way through building the entire P-40 series, and would love to add a P-40Q, but as we all know, nobody makes one in 1/32. Out of curiosity, what would it cost to design and print a "simple" kit of one (basic interior, and just fuselage, horizontals, and wings)? I figure one could adapt existing P-40N landing gear and wheels to the kit. Thanks for any information anyone can provide.

-Daniel S.

Arvada, CO

5 hours ago, Avenger2614 said:

Being a complete 3D printing novice, and having no knowledge whatsoever about cost and time, I'm curious what it would cost to design and print a full 1/32 fighter kit? I'm working my way through building the entire P-40 series, and would love to add a P-40Q, but as we all know, nobody makes one in 1/32. Out of curiosity, what would it cost to design and print a "simple" kit of one (basic interior, and just fuselage, horizontals, and wings)? I figure one could adapt existing P-40N landing gear and wheels to the kit. Thanks for any information anyone can provide.

-Daniel S.

Arvada, CO

I would think converting an existing kit would be the way to go. There are a number of conversions out there to make a bubble top Spitfire out of a normal one, and it involves a resin spine and a vacuform canopy. Same thing for the F2G Super Corsair, although there are other changes with that one. There's a 1/48 P-40Q kit you could use for reference and scale up.

1 hour ago, rtwpsom2 said:

It would take me about a year of dedicated work probably. That's 40 hours a week, 52 weeks.  So compare that against your salary, that would be my best way to estimate how much it'd cost to put it together.  

Consider that question both answered, and put to bed!

The more I think on this the more I am interested, even a larger scale Packard merlin on a stand could look really nice, and going by what I have seen so far, you would create a masterpiece!

I am really hoping on an early Merlin 25 in 24th scale still, but I know thats only something you can decide on.  However with the amount of Airfix and Trumpeter Spitfires, Hurricanes (yes I realize that Merlin variant is slightly different than a 25) and Mosquitoes sold, I am sure you would sell a few!

I have been following you on WIX and am super impressed at what you are doing.  Shame you live in the US as I could have you over here working on my Auster T.7 rebuild whilst you look for a job LOL!

Keep up the great work!

Cheers Anthony

3 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

The more I think on this the more I am interested, even a larger scale Packard merlin on a stand could look really nice, and going by what I have seen so far, you would create a masterpiece!

I am really hoping on an early Merlin 25 in 24th scale still, but I know thats only something you can decide on.  However with the amount of Airfix and Trumpeter Spitfires, Hurricanes (yes I realize that Merlin variant is slightly different than a 25) and Mosquitoes sold, I am sure you would sell a few!

I have been following you on WIX and am super impressed at what you are doing.  Shame you live in the US as I could have you over here working on my Auster T.7 rebuild whilst you look for a job LOL!

Keep up the great work!

Cheers Anthony

What no one has done yet, in various scales, is produce a basic (generic) core Merlin engine with separate parts accessories (single or two stage superchargers, carburettors, etc). This could address the general needs of modellers who require specific Merlin variants without having to produce an entirely new engine for each variant? (of course, this would, to some extent, create some compromise).

Regards

Derek