NMF + Model Air Aluminium + Non lifting clear?

Ryan

I need to heavily mask a radial engine and have found that some clears wont stick to MA aluminum. They lay down fine but will lift exposing the metal cote beneath it when masking.

I have a some X-22 clear and was curious of how hearty it is in this application?

Thanks,

Ryan

Not sure what MA aluminum is, but back in the day Model Master metallics had the same issue. The problem is that there is so little binder in the paint the metallic particles come off easily. Back then, people were resorting to wet facial tissue to mask it. 

If there is metallic coming up with the clear, the problem is the metallic paint and not the clear. You might want to try some clear lacquer. If MA is lacquer based, clear lacquer might just penetrate it enough to lock the metallic down. 

Personally, I use AK Xtreme metallics and find they are much less prone to lifting if you put them down wet, but that's just me.

32 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Sorry, Woody, MA = Model Air from Vajello.

I'd probably know that if I bothered to read the subject line. :doh:

Sorry Ryan, I don't have anything constructive that might help. Water based paints have made it very clear to me that they hate my guts and if they ever catch me even thinking about using them they will make my life miserable.