Clear coat recommended?

Pup7309

The answer will depend on what paints you use and sometimes the order in which you paint/clear/weather. I'm finding the acrylic lacquers (new to me) to be very resilient when applying oils to them. Clear coats are another story and something I'm still struggling with, so I'll be curious to see what others have to say on that. 

John

• 5 weeks later...

Having been turned onto this product I swear by it , there are plenty of reviews you can read regarding it's performance. 

Typical goes over acrylic painted armour with oil dot washes, decals  and enamel pin washes for me with never a problem or reaction , it seems 100% inert even over alclad's paints. 

Mattes down everything with pretty much one coat and is really hard to use badly - you can blather it on with a straw and it still levels out .  

CEF9-A3-C8-EC54-4-CFB-9-FE4-B5-CCFD9-CE0

Edited by Panzerwomble
spilling

19 hours ago, Panzerwomble said:

Having been turned onto this product I swear by it , there are plenty of reviews you can read regarding it's performance. 

Typical goes over acrylic painted armour with oil dot washes, decals  and enamel pin washes for me with never a problem or reaction , it seems 100% inert even over alclad's paints. 

Mattes down everything with pretty much one coat and is really hard to use badly - you can blather it on with a straw and it still levels out .  

CEF9-A3-C8-EC54-4-CFB-9-FE4-B5-CCFD9-CE0

Does it require thinning? If so, what have you been using?

20 hours ago, Jager said:

Does it require thinning? If so, what have you been using?

No it can be sprayed straight out of the bottle . 

I have thinned a bit with my standard acrylic thinner  (70/30 Water/ IPA + a bit of flow retarder) after about a year sat on the shelf when it thickens up a little . 75ml goes a long way in armour modelling.

TBH It's hard to get wrong, the product is very easy to work with  . The gloss version works the same although you get better results with thinning it before use. 

I'm a big fan of Alexander Pedan's work, and he was the one who recommended it on FB - so I gave it a go and now a convert ! 

For £7 / $8 a bottle whats to loose having a go ? 

Review from Finescale

2010 Review from Britmodeller

Lately I have been using the AK Interactive Gauzy Intermediate clear coat.  Very impressed with the product, thins down with acrylic thinner and self levels when applied.  Provides a very tough and super clear finish which can be futher enhanced with a final sanding with 8000 or higher micro sanding sheets.

On 5/1/2021 at 1:35 AM, ivanmoe said:

What to subsequently spray over the x22?

I use Testors Dullcote but you can use Humbrol enamel flat or xf 86. I use Tamiya lacquer thinner yellow cap to thin all of these.

HTH

Cheers Bevan