Straightening SAC metal landing gear?

1 hour ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

There should be an immediate, global law which decrees that ALL replacement undercarriage legs are cast from BRASS and not the wimpy, over-soft (but cheap!) white-metal. I have never understood why people use such low-quality, not-fit-for-purpose white-metal.

Chris.  

So, how do you REALLY feel?:hmmm:

On 3/29/2021 at 11:30 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

It's mostly out of user ignorance I suspect. Plus, I also suspect that these sets are more effective and less problematic in smaller scales, which is why the business itself is still going.

Kev

Kev,

Are those 1/32 Spitfire F.24 legs still holding up?

Cheers

Derek

On 4/20/2021 at 5:41 PM, Confusionreigns178 said:

There should be an immediate, global law which decrees that ALL replacement undercarriage legs are cast from BRASS and not the wimpy, over-soft (but cheap!) white-metal. I have never understood why people use such low-quality, not-fit-for-purpose white-metal.

Chris.  

White Metal basically is a pewter tin mix various combinations of other metals can be added to enhance flow and reduce costs.

Due to the world wide "**** show" everything is going up and white metal is no exception the base price for the best quality is over twice the cost of resin, at present !!

So poor quality but not cheap.

The jury is out on brass for me as investment casting is ok but shrinkage and sharpness of detail cast a bit of a cloud over it.

The resin/metal combo that S.O. produces is the way to go sharp detail and strength :thumbsup:

The reason that white metal is popular is not the cost factor of the material but the saving in labour with multiple sets in a mould and with a mould turn round of 10 to 1 compared with resin.

To be fair some white metals are OK as we have had no problems with the Typhoon Ar 234 and Ki 61 the metal we use is a top end mix used by most of the top wargame manufactures ( one of the few good things to come out of working for the "evil empire")

Just to throw one up in the air I have not seen any for a few years but a metal called Mazack was popular a zinc based metal with a working temp of 500 oC hard and so difficult to work.

Bob

On 4/22/2021 at 8:45 AM, RLWP said:

Mazak is what carburettors used to be made of, in the days when cars had carburettors...

Richard

In the early 90's a numpty known to me back then decided to clean a pair of carbs off a CB250 ......being too proud to ask , he assumed battery acid would be a good idea to soak them in overnight ; the Mazak turned to jelly pretty much , and then he had to come and beg a second set out of my spares pile ...still make me smile 30 years on . 

4 minutes ago, Panzerwomble said:

In the early 90's a numpty known to me back then decided to clean a pair of carbs off a CB250 ......being too proud to ask , he assumed battery acid would be a good idea to soak them in overnight ; the Mazak turned to jelly pretty much , and then he had to come and beg a second set out of my spares pile ...still make me smile 30 years on . 

Was his name Malcolm, by any chance?

Ogri1_1024x1024.jpg?v=1509810282

Richard

On 4/22/2021 at 12:36 AM, Bob MDC said:

The resin/metal combo that S.O. produces is the way to go sharp detail and strength :thumbsup:

I had a 'prototype' set made up using a resin/metal filler mix (alluded to in my question to Kev, as he was effectively my 'guinea pig' for this purpose!). Apparently, they are still good after several years on the shelf, which just backs up Bob's thoughts.

Derek

• 1 month later...