Hasegawa F-86F No. 2 Squadron, SAAF

TimW

I see there's another build thread on this kit.  I'm doing it more OOB, apart from using the Avionix cockpit and some Eduard PE I got at some point.

I wonder if somebody does additional markings for this squadron?

Anyway.  Pictures coming shortly.    Still mostly working on the forward end, including the cockpit, which I almost mistakenly painted grey until I did a bit of research and saw the other thread here!

Cheers,

Tim W.

Edited by TimW
Check settings

15 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

The only decals I know of which are available are these.

Interesting--so those are obviously post Korea, but that's just more options for the future (I also have a Mirage IIICZ in the stash and got some nice decals from SA that have better color than the Italieri kit ones.

Cheers,

Tim W.

Some shots.  And back story.  I first got this kit when I was in Junior High school--an expensive proposition back then.  And of course I gooned it up--got some glue on the canopy (that required special skill!).  So now, some 40+ years later this is sort of an atonement build?   Anyway.  It's interesting how at the time this was considered to be the ultimate kit--but I'm finding the fit to be a bit suboptimal and it's requiring some work.

Stole a piece from the Kinetic kit to help kludge together a decent gunsight set up.   Instruments are AIrScale, on the Avionix instrument panel.  Not 100%, but OK for me.  Really like the seat and other resin bits.  a major step up from the kit.  Oh, and some 15mm Brunswick troops for wargaming in the background, along with a few Indians.  

I have waaaaaaaay too many hobbies.

3QYqmdu.jpg

KgoFaUn.jpg

4kbtDhT.jpg

Enjoy the build Tim!

I don't know of any 1:32 decals for a SAAF Sabre in Korea, and I'm keen to see what you come up with. There are decals from AIMS for F-51 Mustangs in Korea, but that will only work for the fuselage as they are all 36inch roundels, and you need 30 inch roundels for the wings. I haven't worked out a solution for mine yet, except to say that I hope Nick has his Silhouette cutter fine tuned to cut small Springbuck stencils... :lol:

On 3/31/2021 at 8:48 AM, Madmax said:

Enjoy the build Tim!

I don't know of any 1:32 decals for a SAAF Sabre in Korea, and I'm keen to see what you come up with. There are decals from AIMS for F-51 Mustangs in Korea, but that will only work for the fuselage as they are all 36inch roundels, and you need 30 inch roundels for the wings. I haven't worked out a solution for mine yet, except to say that I hope Nick has his Silhouette cutter fine tuned to cut small Springbuck stencils... :lol:

Right now, I plan on using the SAAF decals that came with the Hasegawa kit originally.  One of the No. 2 Squadron aircraft, with "She" written on the nose.

Despite the age of the kit, the decals are in very nice shape.  I may steal the yellow ID band decals from the Kinetic kit (I have that also).

We'll see how it goes.  Tackling the engine right now--I don't plan on having the aircraft "opened up," so not too worried about the details on that.

Cheers,

Tim W

Hi Tim

The SAAF decals that came with the kit were printed by Microscale. They might crack up after all the years depending on how they were preserved, so test it and you might have to used Microscale Decal Maker to salvage them.

The Springbuck roundels were the right size for the 30 inch roundels on the wings but the fuselage were 36 inches, so you will have to adjust it a bit. If you need a photo of the aircraft just let me know. One thing that struck me when I researched it was how few of the stencils were visible on the photo.

The code 'A' aircraft 602 was the mount of the OC of the Squadron Maj Gerneke. The name SHE was incomplete as a photo of it was taken during painting.

The complete name was SHERDANOR II. (SHERDANOR was a Mustang) The name is made up of the names of his children Sheryl, Dan and Nord.

I don't know if you are going to cut the wings, but there is a solution around it. One replacement aircraft supplied to the squadron had the 6-3 extension wing.

I think it was GLOW WORM coded G but if you are going that way I can find the details for you.

If you need more info just ask

Cheers

Nick

On 4/1/2021 at 3:03 PM, TimW said:

Right now, I plan on using the SAAF decals that came with the Hasegawa kit originally.  One of the No. 2 Squadron aircraft, with "She" written on the nose.

Despite the age of the kit, the decals are in very nice shape.  I may steal the yellow ID band decals from the Kinetic kit (I have that also).

We'll see how it goes.  Tackling the engine right now--I don't plan on having the aircraft "opened up," so not too worried about the details on that.

Cheers,

Tim W

Hi Tim,

Nice subject ;)

Here's a photo I took at the SAAF Museum at Air Force Base Ysterplaat.

j9UeF4m.jpg

Cheers,

John

On 4/1/2021 at 4:27 PM, Cheetah11 said:

Hi Tim

The SAAF decals that came with the kit were printed by Microscale. They might crack up after all the years depending on how they were preserved, so test it and you might have to used Microscale Decal Maker to salvage them.

The Springbuck roundels were the right size for the 30 inch roundels on the wings but the fuselage were 36 inches, so you will have to adjust it a bit. If you need a photo of the aircraft just let me know. One thing that struck me when I researched it was how few of the stencils were visible on the photo.

The code 'A' aircraft 602 was the mount of the OC of the Squadron Maj Gerneke. The name SHE was incomplete as a photo of it was taken during painting.

The complete name was SHERDANOR II. (SHERDANOR was a Mustang) The name is made up of the names of his children Sheryl, Dan and Nord.

I don't know if you are going to cut the wings, but there is a solution around it. One replacement aircraft supplied to the squadron had the 6-3 extension wing.

I think it was GLOW WORM coded G but if you are going that way I can find the details for you.

If you need more info just ask

Cheers

Nick

Hey, thanks!  That is some great info I did not have.

I do plan to treat the decal sheet, or at least do a test with one of the ones I don't plan to use.  I have not cut the wings yet--but was going to do the extension removal per some Cutting Edge (I think) instructions I have.  

When I get back to this, I'll definitely be talking to you--I would like to get this one right!

Cheers,

Tim W.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This kit has been on the shelf of doom for awhile...but hey, I got inspired and am making progress.   This is the old Hasegawa kit.  Amazing how good a rep it had back in the day but it was NOT an easy build, even with a bunch of resin and PE added.

Hp1c0z5.jpg