Looking for recommendations for a model build stand. (FOUND)

To me, the main purpose of a jig is to allow the modeller to adjust the geometry of an aeroplane constituents: dihedral, angle of incidence, raking angles of the UC, etc. A real jig would at the very least allow you to check the symmetry of a build.

Another interesting feature of the JH jigs (and the likes) is that you can safely and securely affix the model to the jig by a simple system of rubber bands. The model cannot be knocked off nor its paint damaged as it cannot move while on the jig.

I find the JH jig especially handy when I have to move my in-progress build around without even having to touch my model. How safer can that be?

So, I bought one of these things and it arrived today:

JH3202%20Wooden%20stand%20for%20bi-plane

A question for you gentlemen who have used one in the past...

Would it be a good idea to clear coat the sub-assemblies before use?

I ask because I'm thinking that the moveable parts would slide/adjust more easily if they had a gloss coat on them.

6 hours ago, mozart said:

My JH jigs have just about fallen to pieces.....too fragile.

That's what I was really getting at with my question about the clear coat, even if it's just Liquid Pledge brushed on.

I'm thinking that it might make the wood more resilient and robust.

37 minutes ago, ivanmoe said:

That's what I was really getting at with my question about the clear coat, even if it's just Liquid Pledge brushed on.

I'm thinking that it might make the wood more resilient and robust.

Hmmm, not sure. I think there is an inherent design problem with the “little pillars” of plywood that the vertical parts mate with.  Never been happy with them. 

zDyRAM.jpg

Firewood!!

Edited by mozart

47 minutes ago, mozart said:

Hmmm, not sure. I think there is an inherent design problem with the “little pillars” of plywood that the vertical parts mate with.  Never been happy with them. 

zDyRAM.jpg

Firewood!!

Some wood glue and it will be stronger than before.

I currently have two JH stands, a 1/48th/1/32nd stand that I use for my Tigercat and another larger 1/32nd/124th stand I use for larger models.

Ive had my Tigercat strapped down to my 48th JH stand for years and years, and has stood up to it all.....painting moving adjusting and having it as a rest point for the F7F. 

The issue is that you need to soak the entire pillar sandwich with thin CA. Once that is done, the grains of the wood get tough, and you no longer have as much wiggle in them, and they dont tend to shift or break. 

18 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

The issue is that you need to soak the entire pillar sandwich with thin CA. Once that is done, the grains of the wood get tough, and you no longer have as much wiggle in them, and they dont tend to shift or break. 

But does it tell you that in the instructions Brian, if not (and I’m sure it doesn’t) how are we to know? I used wood glue, since it’s.....um......wood! 

2 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I currently have two JH stands, a 1/48th/1/32nd stand that I use for my Tigercat and another larger 1/32nd/124th stand I use for larger models.

Ive had my Tigercat strapped down to my 48th JH stand for years and years, and has stood up to it all.....painting moving adjusting and having it as a rest point for the F7F. 

1 hour ago, mozart said:

But does it tell you that in the instructions Brian, if not (and I’m sure it doesn’t) how are we to know? I used wood glue, since it’s.....um......wood! 

The instructions appear to confine the use of CA to hardware and rubber-pad attachment, whereas white glue is cited for use in bonding wood.

I guess I've just not got a great confidence in wood glue to hold things solidly on super small parts.   My dad got me into peanut and walnut scale FF models when I was a kid and they always had to be super light, and the one thing that always made them strong and light was bonding layers of the light balsa together with thin CA.

I guess it comes from the plastic modeler in me wanting to use CA instead of slow drying wood glue. After fortification with CA my JH stand have survived many many years of me torturing it with everything from spraying it down in the paint booth to dropping it fully with my Do-335 attached. 

I even soak the single layer upper stand pieces themselves in thin CA and it really strengthens them up to par.

Honestly I dont think I even read the instructions of either stand to know if the CA trick was in there or not..............I just knew it always worked prior for compact or small layers of wood, and the assembly process for the stand was pretty simple and straight forward. 

1 hour ago, Archer Fine Transfers said:

The subject isn't jigs, just something to hold the model while you work on it.

In your initial post you mentioned ‘fancy stands... wooden ones and plexiglass ones’. Those are known as jigs.
If I‘ve known you were asking for ‘something to hold the model while you work on it’, I would have suggested a pair of cotton gloves.:P

3 hours ago, quang said:

In your initial post you mentioned ‘fancy stands... wooden ones and plexiglass ones’.

Wrong, a jig is more of a fixture to hold a workpiece firmly in place while tools work on it, like you see in factories. Jigs for building models are used to hold components in precise alignment - like biplanes, but they are more commonly used in the construction of flying models. But what do I know, I was only a tool maker for 7 years.

50 minutes ago, quang said:

In your initial post you mentioned ‘fancy stands... wooden ones and plexiglass ones’. Those are known as jigs.

I'd have to respectfully disagree with that.

Where I am from a stand is just that; something to stand the model on while you ar working on it....hence why "stand" is by far and wide the most used term when describing the JH models stand. 

When I hear "jig" that says something that has the ability to lock the model down and manipulate it while still strapped to or attached in some way.

A jig also can be something that one can use to build to keep something still while forming or otherwise making something around it, keeping everything in place; IE like a welders jig.

The JH biplane stand is IMO closer to a jig, as it's used to line things up on the model, but still to me is just a stand, as you are still not able to maneuver or otherwise manipulate the model.

While you can put bands over the model on a JH stand, you have no ability to turn, move, twist, flip or otherwise manipulate the model while on the stand, and unlike a jig the JH model stands have zero ways of precisely holding the model in the same repeatable and measurable way.

It's also worth noting that both terms are used to describe the stand on the site selling it, so this more boils down to opinion that any kind of concrete facts.