Looking for recommendations for a model build stand. (FOUND)

It's time I finally broke down and got one of them fancy stands to hold my model while working on it. I've seen wooden ones and plexiglass ones being used but I haven't seen any for sale anywhere. 

Edited by Archer Fine Transfers

5 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I like the wooden JH stands myself, as they come in two sizes for LSPs when I have to work on the really large ones I use the 32nd/24th stand, and for the smaller ones I use the 48th/32nd one. AFAIK, both available ar UMM:

http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/index.php?manufacturers_id=92

Thanks man, appreciate it. 

After the move I came across my old "Vice Squad" holding set up it was an Italian firm that made it and was sold by Poste Militaire which was the sculptor Ray Lamb.

At present its in a bath of cleaner but when I get it up and running again will show the beast.

If you like military miniatures

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CABRFU_enGB848&sxsrf=ALeKk03qpOyFTJKCqpnruPNT7oAvplchpA:1617147859227&q=poste+militaire+ray+lamb+&tbm=isch&chips=q:poste+militaire+ray+lamb,online_chips:miniatures&usg=AI4_-kSlsbdwddCfTTSEXGdKtyPvnW5alg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwii0cqdmdnvAhUK_rsIHebDB94QgIoDKAF6BAgGEAo&biw=1670&bih=869

Bob

Hey Archer fine transfers, you should take a look at "The Jig". I picked up one of these at a model show a couple of years ago. It is CNC cut from acrylic. Strong with some heft to it. Fully adjustable with soft cushioned cradles. They make these for all types of modeling and even custom sizes.I just ordered a 2nd one but extra wide to handle the 1/32 twin engine bombers(B-25 etc.) Web site is on Etsy: trulyloveus. Type in "a modelers helping hand ".

It is the best modeling stand out there IMO!

39 minutes ago, John Stambaugh said:

Hey Archer fine transfers, you should take a look at "The Jig". I picked up one of these at a model show a couple of years ago. It is CNC cut from acrylic. Strong with some heft to it. Fully adjustable with soft cushioned cradles. They make these for all types of modeling and even custom sizes.I just ordered a 2nd one but extra wide to handle the 1/32 twin engine bombers(B-25 etc.) Web site is on Etsy: trulyloveus. Type in "a modelers helping hand ".

It is the best modeling stand out there IMO!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/673196647/the-jig-a-modelers-helping-hand?gpla=1&gao=1&

Looks to be useful enough, but doesn't appear to make provision for biplanes.

• Woody V changed the title to Looking for recommendations for a model build stand. (FOUND)

I have one made of plactic, and is really handy. Before using you need to assemble it by gluing the vertical supports to their bases that slid on base plate. Probably, I initially used wrong glue (Mr Cement) since I had to repeat it some time later. As for now it's OK.

Mine was bought directly via manufacturer site: https://www.vertigo-miniatures.com/

I have a great one, it costs only about $1 and I've made just about all of my models on it.  Unlike all the other stands I see in these forums, it doesn't have any pressure points and won't harm the paint if you move the model around.  Landing gear and other attachments hang below in the interior and you can go straight to the paint booth without moving the model.

DqaJby.jpg

Add a microfibre towel and you can do just about anything with the model without fear of damage.

8b9beb.jpg

If you spray the towel with a light mist of water, dust and other contaminants are much less likely to fall on the paint due to static electricity.

7CohgM.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

50 minutes ago, chuck540z3 said:

I have a great one, it costs only about $1 and I've made just about all of my models on it.  Unlike all the other stands I see in these forums, it doesn't have any pressure points and won't harm the paint if you move the model around.  Landing gear and other attachments hang below in the interior and you can go straight to the paint booth without moving the model.

Add a microfibre towel and you can do just about anything with the model without fear of damage.

If you spray the towel with a light mist of water, dust and other contaminants are much less likely to fall on the paint due to static electricity.

Cheers,

Chuck

Winner winner chicken dinner! Def going to give it a go.

Only problem is that I just tossed about 6 feet of that insulation.

Thanks, Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

The $1 box is clever but it’s not what a real jig is supposed to do.
I used the $1 box system for decades until I discovered the very useful albeit a little fragile JH stands.

I also bought the perspex Vertigo for biplanes but never found out out it works, so it’s back in its box.:BANGHEAD2:

On 4/11/2021 at 11:18 AM, quang said:

The $1 box is clever but it’s not what a real jig is supposed to do.
I used the $1 box system for decades until I discovered the very useful albeit a little fragile JH stands.

I also bought the perspex Vertigo for biplanes but never found out out it works, so it’s back in its box.:BANGHEAD2:

Curious as to what you think the limitations are and what a "real jig" is supposed to do?  When I see all the wood and plastic stands out there, all I can think about is that the model is on a few hard surfaces that might damage the paint and is hanging up in the air, subject to getting knocked off.  I have had no limitations with the $1 box whatsoever.  I can sand the model, paint it, add parts, etc. with no risk to the paint or having it fall off a stand.

Cheers,

Chuck