HK Gloster Meteor F4

Ayovan

On 4/15/2021 at 1:22 AM, Ayovan said:

The Meteor showed up a few days ago. Since I had a minor mishap with my F-86, I started playing around with the Meteor. Nice kit, and builds quick. I see where it's  lacking detail in a few places, but I guess that leaves more opportunity for custom/scratching detail. 

I hope you will show us the results.  :popcorn:

Cheers,

Michael

13 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

I hope you will show us the results.  :popcorn:

Cheers,

Michael

I am doing some experimenting with Alclad. I have a 1/48 F-86 Im using as a test bed. Between the Meteor, F-86, and an F-100 I have 3 potential NMF aircraft to build/finish. NMF has not been my friend. I have done 2 planes NMF so far.  P-38, and a T-6. Neither came out all that great. I have been reading a few threads, watching video, and taking notes from members builds on how to apply Alclad. I also picked up a new airbrush. Once I get the airbrush set up today, I hope to lay some Alclad down on my test bed F-86. Maybe with some practice I can get an acceptable result. 

At any rate, the Meteor is going to be my 1st real attempt. It's in primer (gray) ready to be polished up. I read a post about using just the gray primer, not black as a base coat to get a less shiny finish. This is more of the look I want, particularly for my F-86. I want to try and represent frontline aircraft, not airshow/museum restorations. I'll try it and see what happens.....

Andy

I don't know if this is going to mess up your plans but Meteors that were silver were painted with so called high speed silver aluminium paint and were not nmf. Off the top of my head the only RAF aircraft operated in nmf for an extended period was the early marks of the EE Lightning and the later marks were painted in some form of camo.

TRF

On 4/20/2021 at 8:43 PM, fastterry said:

I don't know if this is going to mess up your plans but Meteors that were silver were painted with so called high speed silver aluminium paint and were not nmf. Off the top of my head the only RAF aircraft operated in nmf for an extended period was the early marks of the EE Lightning and the later marks were painted in some form of camo.

TRF

Thanks for the info. 

Andy

Edited by Ayovan