Thoughts on Trumpy Avenger

John1

Just thinking about future projects for way down the road.  Always had a thing for the Avenger, wondering if anyone has built the Trumpy TBM and if so, has any comments on it. From what I recall, it's supposed to be one of their better kits but arguably, that bar is set pretty low. 

My build of it was years ago, but from memory it's a fairly accurate and easy to build model that looks spectacular when it's done . I can't answer to it's overall accuracy but it certainly looks like an avenger , ( the fact that Accurate Miniatures have an excellent 1/48th Avenger may or may have a bearing on it's accuracy , but I didn't say that!)

• LSP_K2 changed the title to Thoughts on Trumpy Avenger

Only issue I've ever seen with it is similar to the Dauntless, where the rivets should probably be flush or raised, but that's more down to the way models are made now.

It seems to be completely based on the Accurate Miniatures kit, which is pretty much the best kit to base it on.

Matt 

I really like it and it seems to be pretty accurate.  Full of heavy divots for rivets but in actual fact dont look bad under a coat of paint on a built up one I saw.

I started filling the fuselage and wings with CA, but burnt out after wings, tailfeathers and partly into the wings!  My plan was to use Archer rivets, re-rivet the flush ones and correct a couple of panel lines..I hit the wall.  She rests on the SOD now.

Was going to be a Post War RNZAF early TBF with the gun in the nose converted into a Target Tug with the rear turret removed...maybe one day?

6GSLSL.jpg

RiKDfK.jpg

Z4t471.jpg

KjaedV.jpg

Great kit really, seems to capture the feel of the aircraft nicely too, HTH

Cheers

Anthony

I recently completed one of the TBM-3 kits.  The only thing that I didn't like about it was the way they handled the cowl ring inlets - there is no ducting whatsoever behind the cowl ring so you look in the inlets and see the cylinder heads.  They supply PE grills to go over the engine side of said inlets, which sort of help mask that there isn't any duct there, but the grills don't seem to be prototypical (they shouldn't be there at all).  But overall, the whole thing goes together quite nicely.  One thing - don't push the wings all the way on until you're ready to install them permanantly - there are positive catches that lock the wings in place (quite firmly and snugly - I had no gaps at all, and didn't attach the wings until after all painting was complete because of the large size of the parts.  It was easier to paint in subassemblies and bring it all together when done.147437162_10208102366353602_476859463224

I built on last year. Really loved it it a nice kit. I had Eduard interior PE for it and montex mask. 

The only 2 points i had was 

1 its impossible to paint the wing fold with the wings on, i had to pull the pins out after the wings where assembled was tricky. On my next one i will leave them off until the end. Im displaying jt with both wings folded. 

2 you cannon fold the wings with the rockets on, if you want to like i did you have to trim the pilons