PC Upgraded! - Flight Sim Question

John1

Finally got approval from the Minister of Finance to put my 11-year old PC out to pasture.   Got a new PC that will hopefully serve me as long as my dear departed Dinocomputer.  

No photo description available.

It's truly amazing.   I had a basic FPS game (Team Fortress 2) that used to take 15 minutes to load, assuming it didn't lock up and force me to reboot.  It now is up and running in a minute.   I can now finally start looking at some of the flight sims I've been drooling over for the last decade.    FS2020 or DCS?  Leaning towards DCS but I'll need to avoid the modern jets since I have a pretty basic joystick setup.  I've seen some posts about DCS, anyone have experience with the WW2 subjects?   

See you guys in the virtual skies! 

33 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

Water cooler, eh? I was intending to add one to my new PC when I built it, but opted for a dual fan/multi-pipe air cooler instead. I have no input on the games, as I don't have any.

It’s a pre-built rig.  All the reviews were favorable except that the system runs very hot with stock fans and there is limited room to upgrade them.    To be honest, the whole water cooler thing makes me a bit apprehensive, so I’ve got my fingers crossed (that and I’ve got a pretty solid warranty as well).   

That looks like a smoking set-up!  As to your question about which flight sim to get, it really depends upon where your interests lay. DCS World is outstanding if you want to fly war birds, and their WWII collection is growing all the time!! So if flying war birds is your thing, then I would highly recommend DCS. The downside is that the graphics are not on the level of MSFS2020, there are features that MSFS has that DCS does not. The flight model in MSFS is also more realistic, so I am told. I have experience with MSFS2020 only, so I am going on what the flight sim community generally agrees upon. Basically, MSFS is for those who lean towards more of a total flight experience, real world kind of stuff. DCS is more action. People generally refer to MSFS as a "real-world simulation" and not a game, specifically. I would recommend looking at the Discord community, researching what those folks conclude about the differences before you pull the trigger. Think carefully about what it is you want to experience before you buy, as both options can be fairly expensive (as any hobby these days, I imagine) especially when you start buying the add-ons. My goal is to eventually obtain my private pilot's license, so I purchased MSFS2020 and bought the Logitech flight yoke system, throttle quadrant and rudder pedals. I am training on the Cessna 152 and 172 as they are the easiest to learn on, and in my area in real life, they are the most ubiquitous to obtain. My next purchase will be the Logitech autopilot/gps panel that attaches on top of the flight yoke.  Sorry for the long-winded response, but I hope it helps to guide you in making your choices. And whichever road you decide to go down, welcome to the black hole known as the flight simming world!! You are going to love it!!

Cheers!

The idea of mixing water and electrical components is a bit troubling, but is not the reason I opted for an air cooler instead, as the budget drove that particular decision. I selected all of the individual components and built the system myself. When building my own system, I probably paid 60% more than an off the shelf system with the same overall capabilities, but I thought it was worth it, for the fun factor, if no other reason. On the geek site that I'm a member of, I've never heard of a water cooler rupturing or leaking.

For whatever it's worth, the combination of the air cooler and six case fans (three intake, three exhaust), plus the two on the cooler, keeps my CPU running at around 88°, cooler if I really crank up the fans, and that's well within the temperature limits of this particular processor, which will still perform well up to 135° or so. 

1 hour ago, LSP_K2 said:

The idea of mixing water and electrical components is a bit troubling, but is not the reason I opted for an air cooler instead, as the budget drove that particular decision. I selected all of the individual components and built the system myself. When building my own system, I probably paid 60% more than an off the shelf system with the same overall capabilities, but I thought it was worth it, for the fun factor, if no other reason. On the geek site that I'm a member of, I've never heard of a water cooler rupturing or leaking.

For whatever it's worth, the combination of the air cooler and six case fans (three intake, three exhaust), plus the two on the cooler, keeps my CPU running at around 88°, cooler if I really crank up the fans, and that's well within the temperature limits of this particular processor, which will still perform well up to 135° or so. 

Good info and thank you!    The rig was a pick your options and they’ll build it for you.  At the end of the day, it only added $49 to the overall cost.  Just wish I had the option to go with a big, black, nondescript case.   The case on this thing is (literally) way too flashy and tight.  I have zero interest in LED lighting or a zoomy look and with the design, it inhibits the cooling a bit.  

Edited by John1

1 hour ago, J.C. said:

That looks like a smoking set-up!  As to your question about which flight sim to get, it really depends upon where your interests lay. DCS World is outstanding if you want to fly war birds, and their WWII collection is growing all the time!! So if flying war birds is your thing, then I would highly recommend DCS. The downside is that the graphics are not on the level of MSFS2020, there are features that MSFS has that DCS does not. The flight model in MSFS is also more realistic, so I am told. I have experience with MSFS2020 only, so I am going on what the flight sim community generally agrees upon. Basically, MSFS is for those who lean towards more of a total flight experience, real world kind of stuff. DCS is more action. People generally refer to MSFS as a "real-world simulation" and not a game, specifically. I would recommend looking at the Discord community, researching what those folks conclude about the differences before you pull the trigger. Think carefully about what it is you want to experience before you buy, as both options can be fairly expensive (as any hobby these days, I imagine) especially when you start buying the add-ons. My goal is to eventually obtain my private pilot's license, so I purchased MSFS2020 and bought the Logitech flight yoke system, throttle quadrant and rudder pedals. I am training on the Cessna 152 and 172 as they are the easiest to learn on, and in my area in real life, they are the most ubiquitous to obtain. My next purchase will be the Logitech autopilot/gps panel that attaches on top of the flight yoke.  Sorry for the long-winded response, but I hope it helps to guide you in making your choices. And whichever road you decide to go down, welcome to the black hole known as the flight simming world!! You are going to love it!!

Cheers!

Thank you.   I’m leaning towards FS.  The graphics look mindblowingly realistic and I think this rig can run at somewhat high settings.  The only thing that was really pushing me towards DCS was the UH-1 Huey.   That was my “ride to work” for a brief time before Blackhawks came on the scene and I’d really like to take a shot at flying one nap-of-the-earth like the old days.    Decisions..Decisions.  

37 minutes ago, John1 said:

Good info and thank you!    The rig was a pick your options and they’ll build it for you.  At the end of the day, it only added $49 to the overall cost.  Just wish I had the option to go with a big, black, nondescript case.   The case on this thing is (literally) way to flashy and tight.  I have zero interest in LED lighting or a zoomy look and with the design, it inhibits the cooling a bit.  

Who built the system? Just curious. I'm actually considering an upgrade already, even though I just built this system about a year or so ago.

3 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

Who built the system? Just curious. I'm actually considering an upgrade already, even though I just built this system about a year or so ago.

Alienware (now owned by Dell).  I got it on sale and then haggled them down another few hundred.  Very happy with the price, hardware and customer service.   I’ve got a few friends who their rigs, they are quite pleased with them.  

I have both DCS and MS Flight Simulator 2020.  I play FS2020 when I want to fly civilian aircraft and I use DCS for pretty much everything else.  I bought MS FS2020 because of the avionics not knowing that it was pretty much all automated unless you change the settings.  If you do that, you'd better already know how to operate the radios and avionics because there are no user guides that I've been able to find. 

I have a CH Products HOTAS setup so I fly the jets.  I currently have the A-10C II (the module I am most familiar with), F/A-18C, F-16, F-86, F-15C (part of the Flaming Cliffs package...which doesn't need to use a lot of joystick buttons so may be an option if you want to fly a jet), Su-27 (also part of Flaming Cliffs), and the Su-25.  For props, I think I only have the P-51D and the P-47D.  They are prototypically accurate so there's a good sized learning curve.  You'll also probably want the Normandy map for the props.  The map you get with DCS World is the Black Sea area (I forget the correct name for that map).  DCS has the capability to use Virtual Reality and I do have a Quest II VR headset but haven't been able to get it to work well yet (I need a dedicated teacher to both help me set it up and tweak the GUI).

I fly both sims plus IL-2 Great Battles regularly.  Really boils down to what you want to do.  If shooting ILS approaches into any airport in the world is your thing, FS2020.  If shooting .30cal minigun rounds from the door of your Huey is your thing, DCS is the best choice.  

My question to you is why not both?  DCS is actually free with a limited plane set and the modules go on deep sale regularly.  Buy FS2020 and watch DCS for a cheap sale.  

Great suggestion, Chuck! They both offer vastly different experiences and both are fabulous in their own right. By the way, FS2020 now has VR capability as well. Mind blowing, it has to be, with those graphics!!!

3 hours ago, ChuckD said:

I fly both sims plus IL-2 Great Battles regularly.  Really boils down to what you want to do.  If shooting ILS approaches into any airport in the world is your thing, FS2020.  If shooting .30cal minigun rounds from the door of your Huey is your thing, DCS is the best choice.  

My question to you is why not both?  DCS is actually free with a limited plane set and the modules go on deep sale regularly.  Buy FS2020 and watch DCS for a cheap sale.  

4 hours ago, ChuckD said:

Good idea, didn’t know that DCS occasionally offered up sales.   I’ve got the free download w the Su-25 and P-51, I’ve been puttering around it and it’s pretty impressive.     

I have one problem with FS2020 - it's too good looking. So much so that when I play DCS, and even the new IL-2 Great Battles, I can't but wish that they had the same level of environmental detail. For the same reason I also think that the airliners are a bit pointless in FS2020 - when you're cruising at FL350 you really can't appreciate the scenery too much. FS2020 is way better when you fly GA.

Having said that, there's no 'pew pew pew' in FS2020, so I use DCS, IL-2, and Rise of Flight for when I feel like putting a few rounds of tracer into something.

Rise of Flight looks cool , slow enuff for someone like me.

War Thunder has some nice graphics too. I don't think I'd

even get involved with sims again without a VR set.

Hat switches and the old Track IR wouldn't cut it.

Have some fun John  :punk: