1/32 Tamiya Thunderbird F-16C

LSP_Ron

The F-16 Thunderbirds listing has been on the the Tamiya website for a few years (or maybe it was never off the website). A couple of years ago I saw that listing on the Tamiya website and I contacted friends from a company in Japan who run a chain of model stores in a few major Japanese cities and I asked them to get one for me. They wrote back in a few days saying that the kits are not in stock anywhere and they do not seem to be available. I just checked my emails and that was in 2018.

In any case, I think that they will reissue it at some stage, possibly with different decals rather than Thunderbirds. Tamiya has a habit of reissuing older kits from time to time, often in new packaging and with upgrades, such as photo-etched parts or Cartograf decals.  They have done that with many car models that had been just as hard to find as the F-16 Thunderbirds. 

Radu 

1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

Mmmmhhh... Not so sure Radu. They never re-released any large scale plane with different decals up to now. They only did that with Italeri-made kits.

My point was that Tamiya reissues old kits quite often. How they do it, what they add in the box, if they add anything in the box, is just details. They may even reissue it as a Thunderbirds kit. TWho knows? The point remains that it will be reissued at some stage. However, one must keep in mind that most of the Tamiya reissues are limited releases, so get them while you can. 

Radu 

7 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Mmmmhhh... Not so sure Radu. They never re-released any large scale plane with different decals up to now. They only did that with Italeri-made kits.

Wasn’t the F-14 re-released?

Cheers,  Tom

1 hour ago, Uncarina said:

Wasn’t the F-14 re-released?

Cheers,  Tom

I guess it depends on what you consider a re-release.  The kit has been issued 3 times (original, 1994 version, and Black Knights), but with different decals and additional/modified parts each time.

The Tamiya F-15 E was also re-released from the original McDonnell Douglas F-15E to the Boeing F-15e with bunker buster. The actual aircraft was the same, upgraded weapons and decals. If the same ‘treatment’ was made to the Thunderbirds kit, it would be a big seller for sure!

Its kinda of odd that 1/32 F-16s are so hard to come by, like the academy sufa kit is also super hard to get, considering the size and marking options this should be a money printing kit. Imagine if academy stopped producing their F-18A to D !! 

On 4/5/2021 at 2:56 AM, ScottsGT said:

Quick!  Someone send me $400 for mine before it comes out again!  :frantic: :innocent:

What you only have one?

Lucky for me the the Joshin Tamiya store cleared these 10 years ago for $50 each.

It would be nice to see the big T re-release the kit as an Aggressor boxing ditch the Tbird stuff and put in sensor pods. It would sell hand over fist...

3 hours ago, Helmsman said:

SprueBrothers has it in stock. Bloody expensive though.

I was just reissued recently thought id my memory is correct. It was unoptanium for a while