1/32 Tamiya Thunderbird F-16C

LSP_Ron

3 hours ago, Cheetah11 said:

I think it is a "new" release as the lawnmower blades are included as vinal stickers. This is not in the original release.

Let us hope. I have one in the stash but it is now almost too valuable to build. 

The 48th kit didnt include the lawnmower blades but the 32nd kit most definitely did.

You can see them in the IPMS review.

https://ipmsusa.org/reviews/Kits/Aircraft/Tamiya_32_F16C_Thunderbird/Tamiya_32_F16C_Thunderbird.htm

4 minutes ago, Darren Howie said:

The 48th kit didnt include the lawnmower blades but the 32nd kit most definitely did.

https://ipmsusa.org/reviews/Kits/Aircraft/Tamiya_32_F16C_Thunderbird/Tamiya_32_F16C_Thunderbird.htm

Hi Darren

You are right. Apologies. I had a look at the instructions and part list but could not find it there. It is on the photo on the side of the box and hidden  between the canopy mask and remove before flight tags in the box.

Nick

Yes, I wish it would be released again, as I have some Afterburner Aggressor sheets that I want to do, but the CJ kit is not good for, thats if you can even get one, that is, even that kit is not available from any of the online stores I use.

Cheer's,

Jeff.

14 hours ago, Darren Howie said:

Slow down so the dumb kid(me) can keep up. What are lawnmower blades as related to an F-16?  I am pretty much up speed with normal lawnmower blades. 

Also block 32’s are not limited to aggressor airframes are they?

19 minutes ago, is it windy yet? said:

Slow down so the dumb kid(me) can keep up. What are lawnmower blades as related to an F-16?  I am pretty much up speed with normal lawnmower blades. 

Early F-16Cs had various external reinforcement plates (aka “scab plates”) added to the airframe due to fatigue cracks over time.

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/details/om/detail_omv32001t.shtml

The ones that go in front of the vertical tail were very common and sometimes known as lawnmower blades due to their shape.

https://www.dacoproducts.com/KF16IP.html

Edited by Dave Williams

Quite a goid summary here on Tamiya F-16’s and what is needed depending on timeframe.

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/f16blockssb_1.htm

1 hour ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

The term “lawnmower blades” is pretty descriptive-

However, as an operator the terms that make me cringe are:

slime lights

bird slicers

bang seat

just sayin

Pete

you can add Cowl Gills to that list..lol..

11 hours ago, is it windy yet? said:

No, "normal" F-16s too, they were just older blocks but for some reason Tamiya only issued a T-bird version. That T-bird kit as a block 32 could also be used easily to model earlier blocks (like block 25 for one) since it had the early launch rails, small intake, lightwear gear, P+W engine, etc. None of which is in the block 50 kit. Unfortunately to model some other blocks, you need to mix and match the various parts from the two kits. For example for a block 30 that need wide intake/ GE engine from block 50 kit, but lightwear gear from block 32 kit. Thankfully now though we have aftermarket engines/intakes, though I don't think gear/gear doors are available so still stuck on that.

In 1/48 Tamiya released an "all in one" boxing (the "Aggressor" boxing) that had all the relevant airframe parts from their earlier similar P+W kit and their GE kit, although skimped on armament - so with that boxing, any block could be easily modeled, no more mix/matching kits needed in 1/48. What Tamiya really need to do like others have said is for them to do a similar release in 1/32, all in one.

8 hours ago, Darren Howie said:

you can add Cowl Gills to that list..lol..

donkey dick too?

Edited by ziggyfoos
typos

2 hours ago, ziggyfoos said:

No, "normal" F-16s too, they were just older blocks but for some reason Tamiya only issued a T-bird version. That T-bird kit as a block 32 could also be used easily to model earlier blocks (like block 25 for one) since it had the early launch rails, small intake, lightwear gear, P+W engine, etc. None of which is in the block 50 kit. Unfortunately to model some other blocks, you need to mix and match the various parts from the two kits. For example for a block 30 that need wide intake/ GE engine from block 50 kit, but lightwear gear from block 32 kit. Thankfully now though we have aftermarket engines/intakes, though I don't think gear/gear doors are available so still stuck on that.

In 1/48 Tamiya released an "all in one" boxing (the "Aggressor" boxing) that had all the relevant airframe parts from their earlier similar P+W kit and their GE kit, although skimped on armament - so with that boxing, any block could be easily modeled, no more mix/matching kits needed in 1/48. What Tamiya really need to do like others have said is for them to do a similar release in 1/32, all in one.

donkey dick too?

And then move on to issue the A and B models

2 hours ago, Mr.T said:

And then move on to issue the A and B models

I would love them to, but I can't see Tamiya doing that ever.  So far they have shown no interest in releasing a two-seater even though they designed the kit (as they did the 1:48 kits) to be able to easily add some parts for the family model.

Just now, jenshb said:

I would love them to, but I can't see Tamiya doing that ever.  So far they have shown no interest in releasing a two-seater even though they designed the kit (as they did the 1:48 kits) to be able to easily add some parts for the family model.

Yes, I know. It is mind-boggling really. The market is there, but no joy so far. And the A & B ...a lot of these were produced for many countries, so there would be many modelers interested worldwide. Keep on dreaming I am afraid