New 1/32 SPAD from Roden

Pup7309

• Pup7309 changed the title to New 1/32 SPAD from Roden

The Roden website not only looks very old (it apparently is, I've never seen a different one) but it's also sporadically updated. They seem to have moved to Facebook for that.

I don't do Facebook, but with Facebook Container for Firefox it's about manageble.... though on the SPAD they're a bit secretive, as it was the top pick on the WWI aircraft forum, so they don't seem to communicate progress updates too widely.

Also seems pretty smart not to announce too much if you can't deliver, especially if it comes with Fonck's early markings with the cloverleaf on the back! :)

I, for one, look very much forward to it!

Edited by jeroen_R90S
half the post went awry -fixed now

Thanks for the update. I am unsure why Roden would be overly secretive about the project as it isn't as though they have a raft of competitors in the 1/32 WW1 kit market is it but I am sure they have their reasons.

Whilst I would much rather CSM have tackled this specific subject, if Roden have upped their game with this new kit over some of their earlier releases, then I am sure it will be fine. That said, I wont offload my HC SPAD XIII kit just yet until we some plastic and initial assembly reports.

Gary

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

I hope they did their homework on the model.  They used Helvetica Bold on the decals, a font that was invented in 1956...

Holding my breath on this one, but not getting my hopes up either.  If it is nothing more than a glorified repop of the Spad VII, complete with Hispano Suiza engine that doesn't fit in the cowl, it will be a letdown for me.  Really has been puzzling (and mildly disconcerting) to me how very little promotion Roden has done on this one.  Practically nothing about it on their webside, no CAD images, nothing but the box art and these decal mock ups.  I guess we will see in a few days...

On 3/31/2021 at 5:47 AM, Gary Needham said:

Whilst I would much rather CSM have tackled this specific subject, if Roden have upped their game with this new kit over some of their earlier releases, then I am sure it will be fine. That said, I wont offload my HC SPAD XIII kit just yet until we some plastic and initial assembly reports.

Gary

l have had conversations with CSM about other aircraft but they seem at the moment keeping to simple subjects due to tooling cost, With WnW out of the picture we're left with either this one or the Hobbycraft one ( on my list until l see the Roden kit) l also have the 1/28 Revell kit of the Spad but it an old boxing but no decals. Now aftermarket decals for that one in USAAS in Rickenbacker makings is really hard to find. Speaking of CSM has anyone seen their new kits coming?

hacker 

1 hour ago, vince14 said:

I'd be amazed if it wasn't a new tool kit. The SPAD VII and XIII, although similar in look, were dimensionally very different aircraft - the XIII was larger in almost every respect.

And carried two guns

Richard

At last, some official info:

facebook.com/RodenKits/

Meet our new release of spring #634 Spad XIIIc1 (Early), scale 1:32
World War I fighter, created by SPAD in 1917 and broadly based on the earlier SPAD VIIc1. Compared with the previous type, it had a slightly larger overall size, and revised cowling shape and control surfaces.

Juraj