A-7E

5 hours ago, blackbetty said:

would that be an iron hand loadout?

I think they carried a Shrike for a just in case if needed situation. You can make out the tail fin of another Paveway I on the i/b pylons of #401 & 410 while 402 has 6 Mk-82s on the right side so no LGB on the middle pylon. Also note parts of the bottom of 401 looks to be grey, probably a build up of dirt and grime that just got a quick wipe down while the nose gear doors are still white. One last item they all have chaff installed, the blue under the tail.

edit: here is 401 with Snakeyes and LGBs:

va147-ng401-1971-72-a7e_george-shattuck.

Jari

Edited by Finn

Boy, you can certainly tell that nobody took the time to crawl under these airplanes to try to clean the hard to get to places.  Looks like all three are carrying Sidewinders on the fuselage stations.

1 hour ago, John1 said:

Not too many Vietnam era pictures of Navy jets with laser-guided bombs.   What platform was designating for the A-7’s?  

During Vietnam, I believe the USN used Pave Knife on the centerline of the A-6A Intruder.  Later when the A-6E got the TRAM upgrade, the laser designator was in the undernose turret.

5 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

I got into a heated argument with a modeler who “knew” that no TA-4F/J had ever been in combat.  Incorrect!

That should've been a short argument.

Understandable that USN limited late war use would not be that well known but I'd suspect more people would be familiar with USMC TA-4Fs in Vietnam - especially modelers considering several decals feature their various markings, both in kit and aftermarket (most with their later playboy bunny).

4 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

And how about the Israeli two-holers?  Anybody know if they dropped a bomb or two or were they used only as trainers?

From what I read they were strictly trainers.