Hasegawa 1/32 Fw 190D-9: "Black 3" at Halle *DONE*

F9QYV3S.jpg

So if the cross is an upper cammo color , then how could the 3 be lighter and be black ?

I've not seen any cammo color that's darker than black.

The 3 is obviously a quick field app painted over a 7 so at this stage of the war it's hard

to say what happened. Yes some of the photos the 3 looks black but others do not so in

it's difficult to nail one or the other. The color under the 3 looks white compared to the

cross white so why outline a number in white when it's over white already ?

I'm not sayin' , I'm just sayin' ...

Thanks again to everyone for your input. As we can see, the available photos, even though there are several, aren't conclusive on a lot of these issues. I'm also of the belief that the fuselage crosses were not black in the center. Unfortunately, that doesn't necessarily help with the number, etc. Last week got crazy and I wasn't able to accomplish much more. The next couple days look like I may be busy with other things, as well. I have the base plates of the instrument panels painted, but now I'm looking at the instrument bezels, which are separate parts and will have to be individually painted. The Dragon PE parts included with the kit are on the thicker side, so painting/cleaning up the bezels is going to be interesting. Hoping to get them done and the cockpit finished by the end of the week. My fingers are crossed!

Thanks again,

John

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I'm FINALLY back to work. The last couple weeks have been crazy and I also ran into some trouble with the Dragon PE instrument panel that came with the kit. I ended up taking the easy way out by grabbing a Yahu IP. This is the first of their products I've used and I have to say I really like the looks of it and the ease with which I was able to put it to use. My only gripes are that there aren't any instructions (Are you supposed to use the kit panel as a base? I did!) and the selector lever on the left side isn't provided (so I used the Dragon PE part there). The Yahu RLM 66 is pretty much a perfect match for the MRP paint I used on the rest of the pit. So, another plus. B)

20210419-141531.jpg

20210419-141601.jpg

20210419-141734.jpg

Next up will be the engine plug, so I'll be photo hunting for more info on that. What's in the kit doesn't look too bad, but I may decide to add a few bits to busy it up even more, depending on what I find for reference. I'm not usually big on wheel well detail, etc., but this one I want to go a little further with, especially if it's something as easy as adding a few pieces of wire. 

Thanks for following,

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels
Typos

2 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Cockpit looks wonderful!  Those little cylindrical molding pips that are sometimes attached to small kit parts can be fashioned into a 190 throttle if you don't have one handy!

You read my mind, John. I was just thinking the same thing. On the hunt now...:D

Thanks!

John

5 hours ago, mywifehatesmodels said:

Just realized I still need to add a throttle! Oops!:shrug:

The throttle is actually molded on the left fuselage half!

But it is better replaced by a new one. 

I won't comment on the colour of the 3, but when your model is finished a color photo may turn up! An educated guess is ok by me and many others too I suspect.

Alain

Small update.

I actually found a throttle that I had made for a previous build but lost. I was on my hands and knees looking for something else when I found it (isn't that how it always works?:blink: But the timing was good!:lol:). Even though it looks pretty much identical to the kit part, I just went ahead and used it. 

In looking at the engine plug assembly in a dry-fit state, I've come to the conclusion that I won't add much to it. I think it's busy enough for my liking, as is.

20210420-141120.jpg

However, there are a couple of things I still wanted to address in this area; the spent case chutes and the ammo bin. I decided that I will be adding some rivets to the bins, one way or another. Not sure yet if I'll just run the rivet wheel over the part, or add some Archer raised rivets (assuming I have the right size on hand). After opening up the chutes on the belly center piece, I grabbed some rectangular brass tubing from the stash and checked it against the kit part. As luck would have it, I had one piece of tubing that is pretty much a perfect fit. Apparently, the modeling gods are smiling on me today, so I'll run with it. B)

20210421-133824.jpg

20210421-133911.jpg

I already started priming/painting some of the engine plug parts and will be working that assembly into shape, as soon as I get everything fitted properly with the chutes and ammo bins. However, I fear that to get everything measured out properly to be as flush as possible, I will have to have the fuselage halves in place and possibly the lower wing section, as well. Hoping I can do that all by dry-fitting/taping. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for checking in!

John

And here are my ammo bins after adding some rivets, another light coat of flat black and then Gunze RLM 02. I also gave them a light oil wash, for starters. There will be plenty more to go when I complete the whole "plug" assembly. 

20210423-143822.jpg

The Archer rivets are a great tool for this job. However, my sheet has been left open for several years now and is somewhat dried out, so I had several points where the decals tore between rivets, so long straight lines were out of the question and I think it took me nearly two hours to get these on.  I'm not sure how much of this will be visible, but it made me feel like I did something extra at least. :whistle: Also, the rectangular tube ammo chutes will be removed and reinstalled at final fitting with the fuselage/belly. Right now, one is slightly longer than the other. Oops! :rolleyes:

Cheers,

John

On 4/24/2021 at 10:33 AM, Thunnus said:

Great touch with the rivets on the ammo bin!

Thanks, John!

Now, prepare yourself from what I'm about to post, because I have to admit....I unashamedly stole it from looking at your builds! :whistle::lol:

After reviewing some more of Thunnus' outstanding Dora builds, I decided I had to add more to the engine plug area. I had decided not to go any further, but I figured it wouldn't hurt and if it got to be too painful, I would just run with whatever I had. Actually, however, it turned out to go much smoother than I had anticipated and I had all the wiring/plumbing installed within a couple of hours, then went back to finish up the painting. I had to test fit the entire assembly periodically along the way, to be sure of the alignment of everything. It's like a huge, 3D jigsaw puzzle, but actually went together quite well. For some reason, the camera/lighting makes the paint look splattered where I used alternate layers of Tamiya Burnt iron and Metallic Gray, mainly on the engine, itself. In the flesh, it doesn't have that splattered look, at all. Tricks of light and lens, I guess.

20210425-220257.jpg

20210425-220310.jpg

20210425-153745.jpg

20210425-153833.jpg

Now I'm debating on what my next step should be. I'm anxious to put the engine plug and cockpit into the fuselage and zip it up, but I also prefer to do the riveting on as many parts as possible before gluing them all together. So, I may get the rivet wheel out and start lining things up for that process. I'll sleep on it for tonight and hopefully make some more progress tomorrow.

Thanks for checking in!

John