HK Lancaster questions

Astro32

Greetings all!

Had a look at my Lanc over the weekend. Many of you know that I'm after doing PD328 Aries which has family ties. My father and his service unit took care of her at RAF Karachi during one of her proving flights and I have some good photos to work from. I did manage to find a 3-view line drawing of a Lancastrian which will be a great help once I blow it up to 32nd scale. I bought HK's B Mk I kit thanks to SB's sale on it. It has the earlier narrow prop blades but Aries had the later wide chord "paddle" blades. Can these be sourced somewhere? Or is there a close enough blade to use as a pattern? I'm also after having the artwork done. A good source of information and a firm to print them would be a great help. And does anyone know what radio & navigation sets she would've had? Not much will be visible but a little accuracy would be nice. Nose & tail cones I'll do the old fashioned way starting with a chunk of wood.

I'm really looking forward to this build! All my other builds are S.O.D. internees for the time being!

Anyway, thanks in advance for any pointers and advice.

Best regards,

Ross

Ross, I am in the same boat with my “Sugar’s Blues” Lanc build: all other builds on hold. Did Aries have H2S? If so, not sure if your kit will have the radome included; I bought the HK 3 in 1 kit which does. If you need it you might check E-bay since various sprues from the kits are sold individually. Hope this helps!

Cheers,  Tom

On 3/23/2021 at 9:39 AM, Uncarina said:

Ross, I am in the same boat with my “Sugar’s Blues” Lanc build: all other builds on hold. Did Aries have H2S? If so, not sure if your kit will have the radome included; I bought the HK 3 in 1 kit which does. If you need it you might check E-bay since various sprues from the kits are sold individually. Hope this helps!

Cheers,  Tom

Don't forget 'Sugar's Blues' (and that is a great choice of scheme by the way) was a MkX Lanc that had a Martin Mid Upper turret: Different location, different shape. 

46 minutes ago, Bomber Command nut said:

Is this the 'Aries' you are looking at ??

I believe there was three such named Lancasters . . . .

Aries-Lancaster.jpg

(Photos taken from 'Harleyfords edition of the Lancaster and used as an illustration.

Aries-detail.jpg

Hard to say for sure as the serial # is missing in the top photo.

22 hours ago, Archimedes said:

Don't forget 'Sugar's Blues' (and that is a great choice of scheme by the way) was a MkX Lanc that had a Martin Mid Upper turret: Different location, different shape. 

Check out my build in the WIP section.

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

2 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Thank you! It was you who first alerted me to the necessary conversion, and I’m just glad I was able to carry it out.

Cheers,  Tom

Glad I  could be of help. Coincidentally I have also been planning to do 'Sugar's Blues with the HK kit I have in my stash. Who does the decals for the nose art?

Kind regards,

Paul