Dragon Bf110C-3, 235-5 235 Squadriglia (Done)

IainM

Hi all!
Trust the start of the New Year has been good for everyone so far!

Paint and major markings are down on the Bf110C-3. Next steps will be to start the weathering process with lightened or darkened paint shades of the scheme in certain areas, before I climb in with oils and enamels, etc.
Also need to get some HGW stencils down, but these will only be in obvious places that weren't oversprayed.

AK8wux.jpg

HHsNLH.jpg

The serial numbers were a win, I didn't have to mix any colours!  I was going through my blues wondering which shades to mix, but then happily noticed that the blue on the photograph I have of the a/c matched that of US Intermediate Sea Blue. Maybe not quite 100%, but def a close enough win in my books.

SR7fVN.jpg

Balkenkreuz were sprayed using home-made masks. I've sanded them back slightly to start off the wear/weathering process.

sglzyk.jpg

MHJlne.jpg

Undersides have been painted "black" as per the scheme, although no pure black used , just very darkened shades of grey and off-black shades.
I used AK Real colours as a test for the first time, not bad at all......less smelly than my Gunze laquers though:lol:

The lighting doesn't really show off the fine tonal variation to it's fullest - perhaps the port wing is the best example?

H37sZn.jpg

Cheers Iain

8 hours ago, Scale32 said:

Looks great  lain. How will you tackle the underside weathering, black is always a tricky one! Looking forward to the weathering stages.

Cheers Bevan 

Hi Bevan

At this stage I'm thinking of hitting selected panels with various shades of grey, doing grime "washes" with Mr Weathering Multi-black/grey/brown, etc. Will have to test out on my paint mule to see what effects occur....:lol:

Just beautiful Iain.....I know I said that before, but it's true!

Paint looks beautiful, all that hard work paid off.  Something I am going to try out is I have noticed when fluids trail back on a matte finish it leaves a glossy (oily) trail rather than a dry line.  But tooo many would look silly, but one or 2 (fresh stains)might look really good...or really silly LOL

Great progress, great update

Cheers Anthony

5 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Just beautiful Iain.....I know I said that before, but it's true!

Paint looks beautiful, all that hard work paid off.  Something I am going to try out is I have noticed when fluids trail back on a matte finish it leaves a glossy (oily) trail rather than a dry line.  But tooo many would look silly, but one or 2 (fresh stains)might look really good...or really silly LOL

Great progress, great update

Cheers Anthony

Thanks @Anthony in NZ Yep, it's always quite a noticeable thing on an aircraft, those glossy trails. But they tend to pick up dust, dirt pretty quickly and present as semi-matte. That being said, I've seen pictures of 110's dripping fresh oil from the gear bay through and onto the gar bay covers - quite noticeable. Might go for that look. The rest will be present, but I tend to keep it minimal - but most will be semi-translucent - hopefully :evil_laugh: see if I can pull it off.
Aircraft like the DC4 always spewed oil - guys I knew that used to fly them said that if the engines weren't tossing oil, they hadn't any oil left in them :lol: - and then they started to worry!

4 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Wonderful job on your paint scheme Iain, she is coming along very nicely indeed.

Regards. Andy 

Cheers thanks Andy!

• IainM changed the title to Dragon Bf110C-3, 235-5 235 Squadriglia (Weathering)

The Bf110 has had a Aqua Gloss layer applied and some selective HGW stencil wet transfers applied. Designed for the C-7 variant, but being Bf110 generic, they've served the purpose.
What I've then done, after sealing the transfers in, is apply a panel line wash using True-Earth Metal Liner. I used the Mid-Metal.
It does seem a bit garish at the moment, but it's going to have multitudes of weathering treatments (oils, enamels, etc) applied over the top of it, and I'll be using normal dark PLW in the regions where the a/c got pretty dirty, so expect some toning down

EJbwhu.jpg

UJZjwj.jpg

BtU1Nh.jpg

Pj8zw2.jpg

What it does provide is a decent starting point for further weathering techniques, if I manage it correctly, the silver PLW will show through as underlying wear- well, that's the plan anyway:lol:

NnGsb4.jpg

Edited by IainM

• IainM changed the title to Dragon Bf110C-3, 235-5 235 Squadriglia (Proof of life..and more weathering)

Greeting all
Nope, haven't fallen off the face of the earth, been slowly plodding along with the build. Been a quite long weathering process so far, quite a lot of it taken up by time waiting for layers to dry before getting on with the next one.
So in the meantime, I applied a base of dusty coloured Abteilung oil paint over the entire airframe to knock back the fresh paint look and to add an aged patina. This was then sealed in after drying. Then she had selected areas done in oils with yellow, blue, faded green, green, starship filth, etc etc to create a bit more interest.
Then selective washes/dirtying up with Mr Weathering Colours, spatters with Mig and AK fresh oils, Dark Streaking grime.

JJpqcx.jpg

I don't want to go too overboard with the weathering, I'm pretty happy with how it stands at the moment. Once the overwing exhaust staining is done, I'll look at it again and perhaps add a bit more dirt staining at the wing/flap section. But I want to see what the exhaust staining will add to it first.

U7Rpx6.jpg

Just very light chipping on the wing, fillet and engine areas. Enough to indicate a bit of wear - photo doesn't do it justice.

aueOLl.jpg

Props and hubs done as well. They're attached to the engine via molybdenum magnets.
At the end, I'll add a bit of chipping to the nose gun cover and ammo bin doors to indicate wear.

4gUq73.jpg

W8Zjkh.jpg

Outboard exhaust stacks are wating and ready to go once I've done the overwing exhaust staing

weMHsZ.jpg

Ey4qcB.jpg

Underside is basically done. The exposure/contrast in the photo doesn't really show the weathering nicely, but there is a lot more going on there than you can see here.
The underwing exhaust stains are done though and the inboard stacks added. Quite a bit of oils stains/spatters added using Mig/AK products

Still have to add the radiator flaps at the back of the housings

odEg96.jpg

3vCsag.jpg

Inboard stacks and stains...

6248YR.jpg

aiU628.jpg

o7W8wv.jpg

So there she is for the moment. Still exhaust stains, some more light chipping, DF loops, underside "clothesline" array, nose barrels, canopy parts, aerials, landing light covers, nav lights, etc to go. But that feeling when the canopy masks came off was great - then you feel as if you're on the home stretch!:lol:

Thanks for looking

Iain

The over-all look with the various layers you’ve applied looks very effective Iain, but I do think you’d see pretty heavy chipping around the fuel filler caps and on the wing leading edge where the fuel tanker line rubbed against it. What are your plans for the three little “windows” in the nacelles where the pilot could check the gauges? 

42 minutes ago, mozart said:

The over-all look with the various layers you’ve applied looks very effective Iain, but I do think you’d see pretty heavy chipping around the fuel filler caps and on the wing leading edge where the fuel tanker line rubbed against it. What are your plans for the three little “windows” in the nacelles where the pilot could check the gauges? 

Hi @mozart Thanks for the comments, and yes, as per, I'll most likely get a bit more done on the leading edge. I was going to chip a bit more on the fillers with silver pencil.
The nacelle guage windows still have their masks on. I want to finish up the exhaust staining etc and let that dry before they come off