Dragon Bf110C-3, 235-5 235 Squadriglia (Done)

IainM

Work on the IP's has finished, the interior scratch-building is completed, and the interior has received a layer of black primer and some silver for chipping work later, letting that dry properly before I throw chipping fluid and the RLM02 at it, hopefully over the weekend.....

Here are some images of the IP's. By no means perfect, but I think a little more 3D than the AM stuff I had for it.

XtBs8f.jpg

These are the panels before mating. Rears are card with punched inserts, and @airscale decals applied over the inserts. Faces in the IP were all drilled/punched out to match. The 2 larger panels on the lower portion of the main IP came from the AM set.

7Kzzqb.jpg

Panels mated and Bondix applied for the glass. First time I've used it (usually use Microscale Kristal Klear). Not sold on the final result...but more likely operator issues. However, it'll do.

I3GMFh.jpg

Comparison of my effort versus the AM offering. not as much micro-detail on mine as far as increment markings, etc go, but I'm happy I went this route rather than sticking the Eduard panel in. Looks better at a normal viewing distance than at macro level! :lol: For my E build I'll use the Yahu panel I have as the cockpit glazing will be closed up and it'll look fine - IMO the Yahu panel is way better than the Eduard panel - detail are finer and the paint etc doesn't look pixelated.

Cheers

Iain

• 2 weeks later...

Well, got the cockpit sort of sorted out, all the modification and scratch-building done. Painted up, and have started to assemble. qifUEl.jpg

xuws5N.jpg

That's the SB radio set and framing with some wiring attached. Unfortunately, not much of it gets seen once the cockpit is buttoned up and the sill gets placed....

XJqLZP.jpg

MG-FF rack. Some pneumatic hoses and wiring installed, but not much else, it's all hidden from view mostly.

LOWcnm.jpg

Bordfunker position. Everything on the sidewall has been heavily modified or SB to reflect the C-3 variant

62U21R.jpg

Z7H1vC.jpg

It all starts disappearing once the fuselage halves are joined and the sill is in place:lol: I'll finish painting/weathering that once I've glued it in place and filled up the join lines. The fuselage halves will only get properly glued together once I've determined the nose cap, underside panel and windscreen fit. It's easier to putty a little than sand everything away if you commit to gluing permanently a little too early. Ask me how I know....:evil_laugh:

YLvL1t.jpg

Cheers
Iain

Interior looks excellent!

I did a similar treatment on the 110D I built. It's almost a shame to close the pit after doing all that, but you won't regret it, as every time you look into the crew compartment you'll know it was worth it.;)

John

2 hours ago, mywifehatesmodels said:

Interior looks excellent!

I did a similar treatment on the 110D I built. It's almost a shame to close the pit after doing all that, but you won't regret it, as every time you look into the crew compartment you'll know it was worth it.;)

John

Thanks John!
My first 110 I built I SB ALL of the interior wiring looms......the look on my face must have been priceless when I buttoned it up and it was all gone:evil_laugh: Hence my approach this time....;)

Superb Iain!

Can I send my Phantom cockpit around for you to do?? :D

I hate doing cockpits, and seeing work like this feels like it sets the bar unreachably high for me.  I might be asking for lots of advice when I get to mine....

Beautiful work mate, really is

Cheers Anthony

7 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Superb Iain!

Can I send my Phantom cockpit around for you to do?? :D

I hate doing cockpits, and seeing work like this feels like it sets the bar unreachably high for me.  I might be asking for lots of advice when I get to mine....

Beautiful work mate, really is

Cheers Anthony

:evil_laugh::evil_laugh::evil_laugh: @Anthony in NZ that's like the master asking his new, first-day apprentice for advice!!:bow:
That being said, you're more than welcome, I love doing cockpits!:thumbsup:
Cheers, appreciate it!

Iain

2 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Well done, Iain.  Super job going on here.  

Thanks Troy! Let me tell you, that tool I bought through you (D360E) has made life sooooooooo much easier! I really think it's the best purchase I've made for modelling in a VERY long time! I'm tempted to get the D550E though...;)

• 3 weeks later...

Some more progress on this build. Not as much as I'd hoped, but the days and evenings are getting quite chilly here in Christchurch, and, working from my mostly un-insulated garage, the bench times are getting less and less and my fingers stop working after a while :lol:
LMgjph.jpg

As she stands right now. The wings have not been glued on, just slid onto the spars Dragon provides. All the seams, etc have been filled and smoothed out, waiting for that first shot of primer to see how good of a job it was...;). The landing light element needs completion, but I have sanded and test-fitted both the leading edge component and the clear cover.

PNsmuo.jpg

x8QroH.jpg

Nacelles have been glued into place, seams restored. The air inlets on the lower cowl have been filled as per the C-3 and air inlets scratched and faired in with Mr Surfacer for the top rear of the cowls. The air intake on the inner face of the starboard engine has been lengthened slightly. THe shape of the lower part of that intake isn't 100% as it should be I think, but it will do.
I didn't aim for extremely tight-fitting cowls - on the real aircraft there were noticeable gaps etc in-between the panels, hence the result.

YMBCIc.jpg

I had/have a set of Quickboost exhausts for this kit, but after looking them over and trying to clean them up, decided it was way easier just to drill out the ends of the kit offerings. They end up looking WAY better than the QB resin parts.

DOy4Gm.jpg

k9rqV8.jpg

The bays have been completed, weathered and installed into the wings. A lot of that forward detail gets lost once the u/c struts are installed.

F29hMl.jpg

Gear struts. Not weathered as of yet, just painted up. I'll pop the rubber hoses next to the leather boots into their fittings last of all.

0QgAJo.jpg

WGMolG.jpg

The rear Mg151. I've tried to recreate a canvas boot and spent shell holder, but I'm not really happy with the results, even after many layers of oils, filters, etc.
Any suggestions would be welcome.....

6oiQYH.jpg

RN8jAb.jpg

Front and rear pics of the cockpit tub. I've applied quite a bit of chipping on the sill to emulate a bird that's just a hand-me-down from the Germans to the Italians. The final paint scheme will be indicative of this in a certain way hopefully....

I've just ordered a bunch of free-line rivet decals from HGW. So once she's been primed, sorted out etc, I'll be laying down full rivets on her - used the same stuff on my 109, and the result is just beautiful. But that becomes a project of it's own.....

Anyway, thanks for looking in!

Iain