Dragon Bf110C-3, 235-5 235 Squadriglia (Done)

IainM

On 4/3/2021 at 3:07 AM, Uncarina said:

Great work Iain! I really like your instrument panel modification, and the JU-88 example is fantastic. Do you have a link for a WIP or RFI of that build? I have a JU-88A-14 to build in need of inspiration.

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks Tom! Unfortunately I don't have a full set of images, but I'll pop what I have up here later for you to have a look at/

@uncarina
Seeing it's my thread, I don't mind a bit of thread hijack :lol:. Here are some images of the C-6 I did. Revell A-4 as the base kit, with AIMS C-6 conversion, which provided a starting point at least. A LOT of scratch-building and engineering required....
Took me two years to complete, almost hit the wall quite a few times as I was fed-up with it at times.
Cockpit is kit, Eduard, AIMS, scratch....

1Zc8ni.jpg

Zl90PO.jpg

ulzgJi.jpg

FkJvd3.jpg

BMMI2W.jpg

kCzp7Y.jpg
All the relief cuts I had to make to get the kit parts and the nose to sort of match up......

vm5IYb.jpg

A8dXpz.jpg

Fit was horrific! Could be me though....:lol: note: never use black Milliput.....turns to rock!

vk67PM.jpg

Kit glazing modified - hole removed where Mg15 would have been and replaced with clear card. Frames built up in paint with Mr. Surfacer..
3m0ani.jpg

Fillets built up with Milliput and card

GLtpSC.jpg

Making exhaust shrouds from brass shim stock

s7ZoC6.jpg
bH4bXs.jpg

s6gU13.jpg

Gear bays...Profimodeller. Really nice, but since the rear bays were closed up normally there is a lot you won't see.

2L1UZO.jpg

BiZbgd.jpg

Eduard wheels, the rest kit parts and scratch detailing. I drilled and pinned every linkage point for strength

Uhv86t.jpg

Scratch-building the FuG202 posts into the nose. Albion Alloys slide tubes

vRGlyg.jpg

BC4znD.jpg

Nose with antenna masts. The actual array is from Owl (OOP)
Gun Barrels are Master

drgwyb.jpg

I've managed to leave the wings as a slide-fit, makes it easier to fit in its transport box

7wpfgm.jpg

Schräge Muzik is brass tube with boots made from Tamiya 2-part expoxy

GjQgJO.jpg

lMbfG6.jpg

qGqDTD.jpg

Any questions, please feel free to ask!!

Iain

Edited by IainM
updated images

15 minutes ago, Mebo said:

Your C-6 is beautiful. Very nice work. Now i think i have to buy the conversion set. 

Thank you @mebo
Love to see that build!

Very very fine work - Respect !!

As far as I could see no-one answered you about the Revell Bf110C-7 - yes it is the Dragon plastic with a price tag of 2/3 the Dragon price. Off cause that's here right next to Revell land, so I assume it's less attractive 'round your place... But it IS that kit

I too am working on a C-6 from an A-4... only it has been parked for a long time...

Hello Iain, the IP looks great and like you I have used Klear acrylic to simulate lens glass. 

Last build I used Testors clear gloss enamel straight from bottle. One coat covered well and no leaks to places it shouldn't be. Just thought you might try it out. 

Fine work by the way. Am following with great interest as I have the same kit on the short list.

4 hours ago, Thomas Lund said:

Very very fine work - Respect !!

As far as I could see no-one answered you about the Revell Bf110C-7 - yes it is the Dragon plastic with a price tag of 2/3 the Dragon price. Off cause that's here right next to Revell land, so I assume it's less attractive 'round your place... But it IS that kit

I too am working on a C-6 from an A-4... only it has been parked for a long time...

Yes, for the new Revell boxing we pay around USD 140 down here....glad I picked up most of my original Dragon kits on my wanderings in HK;)
Good luck on that build....hope it doesn't turn out to be as frustrating as mine - but then again, it was probably my skill levels creating most of the roadblocks:lol: anyway, she's done now!

3 hours ago, John Stambaugh said:

Hello Iain, the IP looks great and like you I have used Klear acrylic to simulate lens glass. 

Last build I used Testors clear gloss enamel straight from bottle. One coat covered well and no leaks to places it shouldn't be. Just thought you might try it out. 

Fine work by the way. Am following with great interest as I have the same kit on the short list.

I want to get hold of some of that UV Bondic glue, and give that a spin on the IP for simulating the glass on this one - IF there's any in stock in NZ :lol:
But I'll see if I have anything like that Testors clear enamel in my stash as well - always willing to experiment! Thanks for the heads-up:thumbsup:

40 minutes ago, IainM said:

Yes, for the new Revell boxing we pay around USD 140 down here....glad I picked up most of my original Dragon kits on my wanderings in HK;)
Good luck on that build....hope it doesn't turn out to be as frustrating as mine - but then again, it was probably my skill levels creating most of the roadblocks:lol: anyway, she's done now!

140 ?? Auch... I paid 90 USD for my last Revell. Usual price for a Dragon is 125 USD (plus minus)

• 2 weeks later...

ggY0Zz.jpg

Just to prove this build is still happening:lol: Been a bit busy at work, but managing to get the odd hour or so to build when the household is asleep at night!
The IP and extra's are ready for painting/finishing. Built the cockpit lamps and the Quickboost Revi 12C sight, all wired and pinned.

eE60dp.jpg

Some of the other elements I've been busy on. Replaced the seat adjustment lever with some brass details and rod/Albion Alloys tubing. The brass radio racks are from an old detail set, practiced my soldering skills to assemble them, but not sure if I'll be using them in the end.
MG-FF rack is busy receiving some detail love as well.....
Added details to and modded some other parts, as they need so pretty serious modification to get this aircraft back to a C-3 variant - a lot of equipment and location changes.

au4Bl2.jpg

Left sidewall in the observers cabin. Quite a bit of work here to get the C-3 variant right. I'm not too happy with the compass at the moment (it still needs the face though, I'll see what it looks like under a coat of paint, otherwise I'll redo it. The original kit part was molded as part of the radio rack equipment, I had to cut and grind and create a housing for it). The part just forward of it was originally on the cockpit roll-over framing.

ySk2Lz.jpg

Had to build a frame for the new radio equipment just aft of the pilots seat. The radio setup between the C-1/3 and C-2/4 onwards was very different.

FywoQY.jpg

The new SB radio on the C-3. Still some wiring, tidying up to do, etc once it gets painted up and placards popped on. Brass dials from @airscale

Almost ready for paint! And it'll be overall RLM02, with the IP in RLM 66...

Iain