French A26B photos or reference materials

Hi Spook, thanks for the links - this will be my first ever mostly black build and I want to weather it, I'm expecting this to test my skills looking at those photos which are the best reference material I've seen so far. So far I've been impressed with the kit - the level of detail inside is good in my opinion (not necessarily accurate but good enough for what will be seen with some scratch building added) but the fit is really impressive so far, especially closing up the fuselage with all bulkheads and floors added - fits perfectly.  

5 minutes ago, Jean-Michel said:

Here is a french book about A-26/B-26, with a chapter for operations in Algeria, with color pictures. Page 52 for Algeria.
Pégase : revue de l'association des amis du musée de l'air | 2007-05 | Gallica (bnf.fr)

Available on line on french national library on line : Gallica.

Page 78 and after, you can found pictures of wheels well, cockpit, inner pats and many details.

You can download the book for free by clicking on right side of the screen (that's official and free).

Hi 

I wanted to come back for a last "info" .. here a profile of a French B26 B used in Algeria (profile from the French magazine Wing master ).... so , B 26 B of the CIB 328 ... note the squadron emblem on the nose ...... 

so , French modelers are definitively reactive when one is talking about French roundels :D 

cheers 

Alain

numzor16.jpg

4 minutes ago, alain11 said:

Hi 

I wanted to come back for a last "info" .. here a profile of a French B26 B used in Algeria (profile from the French magazine Wing master ).... so , B 26 B of the CIB 328 ... note the squadron emblem on the nose ...... 

so , French modelers are definitively reactive when one is talking about French roundels :D 

cheers 

Alain

numzor16.jpg

bonjour Alain, comment fait-on pour coller une image dans le chat?

Alain and Jean-Michel, thanks for continuing to help with reference material.  I'm progressing well with my build, more scratch building (for example, I'm just about to make the exhausts which are lacking from the kit - not yet sure how but that's todays job). One general question for you that I'm hoping you will know the answer to, I need to paint the national insignia on the rudder - do you know what paint brand/colour best represents the blue ? I have a french blue but it's much too dark compared to the roundels.  The aircraft used by the French in the Indochina and Algerian Wars have caught my imagination, I seen a striking yellow Texan and a Bearcat that I suspect will be next on my build list.

Thanks again for your help.

neil 

9 hours ago, npb748r said:

- do you know what paint brand/colour best represents the blue ? I have a french blue but it's much too dark compared to the roundels.  The aircraft used by the French in the Indochina and Algerian Wars have caught my imagination, I seen a striking yellow Texan and a Bearcat that I suspect will be next on my build list.

Thanks again for your help.

neil 

hi

I think ,  , I suppose , there is no real paint ref for the blue , I made my own mix , the base is Tam X14 , + a drop of white , and  .....a hint of Gunse H 308 ( light grey ) it depends on your eyes perception of color , and taste , but that looks good ...for me :rolleyes: 

Alain

2 hours ago, alain11 said:

hi

I think ,  , I suppose , there is no real paint ref for the blue , I made my own mix , the base is Tam X14 , + a drop of white , and  .....a hint of Gunse H 308 ( light grey ) it depends on your eyes perception of color , and taste , but that looks good ...for me :rolleyes: 

Alain

I agree, there's a lot of variations : from light blue to almost dark blue. I checked in Wingmasters all french kits, but no model builder gives a precise reference or recipe ! they mix X14 and white or a drop of red...
Bearcat or T8 will be great choices for a collection of french post-war aircraft. T-28 Fennec too ! but the most beautiful french post-war aircraft is... F4U7, with Operation Musketeer yellow and black stripes. But, unfortunately, there are no kit of this special version of the Corsair...

thanks both, clearly I am going to have to experiment. Given the wide range of brands and paints available you would have thought one of them would do the national insignia colour for a major country (and my favourite holiday destination by the way !!).  I did think about the Fennec, another one added to my list. As for the F4U, if I went down that route it would be an FAA plane - sorry !!! :)