Su-57 Felon

Dukie99

This bad boy recently landed on my doorstep directly from Russia (less than USD 50 with shipping)

i-Cg2jqcB-L.jpg

I normally don't build in this scale and make only very rare exception, but this guy needed to be challenged in the display cabinet:

i-6KWsdNz-L.jpg

i-dZZJ2x3-L.jpg

i-fG8QkZV-L.jpg

It is the Hasegawa kit, build OOB with the kits decals.

I will build the Su-57 as a clean airframe (no pylons) but contrary to the F-22 where I closed all bay, I will open the main ventral weapon bay.

This will be a relatively quick build as there are not a ton of pieces, but so far I am impressed with the quality of the kit and the fit

This is the content of the box, instructions and decals (which look really nice:

i-m2KtjX4-L.jpg

i-KNBjSVJ-L.jpg

I will use Quinta studio 3d decals for the pit and seat. They look stunning:

i-HSPTMt6-L.jpg

and the instructions are very clear

i-FcnGrZL-L.jpg

I will also use Amigo Resin Cans. They are closed, probably incorrect for a parked bird but I will go with it. Very well casted parts.

i-b4qBb6z-L.jpg

i have already built the cockpit so I will post a update in a minute.

Cheers,

David

Here's the pit. OOB it is very simple as all the console details are provided through standard decals.

The bare plastic, some of the details on the seat have not been glued or cut off as per Quinta's instructions

i-Ks5P2rz-L.jpg

Now painted in MRP Sukhoi blue-grey and MRP Nato black. Sorry about the picture, I made a mistake cropping the picture but you get the idea

i-LRTtfvM-L.jpg

Now the good part, the cockpit completed with all the Quinta 3d decals glued on with Mig Ultra Glue. I am debatting applying a future coat and then a wash but I may leave it like that. Not bad for 30 minutes of work. The 3d decals come out of the backing sheet after twenty seconds in warm water. It is good to dry the part on a towel before applying PVA glue, the parts are flexible and conform well to curved surface. The fit of the panels in the cockpit and relative to each other was perfect. I have no yet used Quinta 1/32 sets (I have the Mig-29 SMT for a future build), but if this set is any indication, the quality is very good and it looks awesome.

i-jcJGw59-L.jpg

i-9CnZjDD-L.jpg

Cheers,

David

This is really cool.  I didn't know this aircraft existed! 

I was just reading about it at Wikipedia, and that then led me to the Chinese J-20, another aircraft I didn't know existed! 

Of all these 5th generation stealth fighters, I think I like the J-20 the best; it reminds me of the fictional MiG from the movie "Firefox" with Clint Eastwood, if anyone remembers that! 

Keep up the good work; the cockpit looks great!

On 3/30/2021 at 3:58 PM, ringleheim said:

This is really cool.  I didn't know this aircraft existed! 

I think it's fair to say that the SU-57 exists-ish.  The first examples have deployed to active units as of the end of last year, but it's not clear that the Russians have the budget to build and sustain a significant fleet of fighters of this level of sophistication.  It may end up dead-ended even faster than the late, lamented F-22.

• 6 months later...

Hi Guys,

I finished this morning my Su-57. Not perfect but I actually really like the result. I should have done a better job at preping the plastic on the top (the plastic is a little bit grainy and I don't know if it is intended or not). That being said it is hardly noticeable IRL. The fit of the kit was great, low part count but still decent details and so it builds quickly. I used paint masks for the digital scheme and they worked great. The decals supplied are very good (I suspect they are made by Begemot but not sure) and work very well with the microsol-set solutions. The pit is Quinta and is a must for this kit. On to the pictures:

i-pZrdXvs-L.jpg

i-5nt6Cpw-L.jpg

i-PD4pPvm-L.jpg

i-j366pSX-L.jpg

i-bVrNZtp-L.jpg

i-QFzMv7D-L.jpg

i-CsBmkZN-L.jpg

i-3JMZwrw-L.jpg

i-MKLhmvb-L.jpg

i-LkPJ4ZR-L.jpg

And with its nemesis:

i-mqdp5fx-L.jpg

i-889mRq4-L.jpg

Cheers,

David

Thank you for the kind words. Just like Brian, I would love to have a Su-57 in 1/32 (and a F-22 too) and hopefully one day we will get one. In the meantime I have another 1/48 copy in the stash. There are other attractive schemes for the Su-57 and Reskit has come with very impressive resin cans in the parked position. Hopefully Reskit will also come up with Resin wheels in the near future.

Cheers,

David