Eagle Head. Horst Hannig's Fw-190A-4 - Paint job

MDuv

Hi Matt, Jim and Martin, Thank you for your kind comments ! @scvrobeson , @Beaconroot, @Martinnfb

I was afraid the wurger would gather too much dust and disapear underneath, so i got it out this weekend.

First job, wich was responsible in the build lag, was to cut the rivet sheets for the belly. Here they are applied and seams masked. Ready for flat aluminium spray.
ittpvrP.jpg

Same pic after the booth session, and unmasked.

vqj8mms.jpg

Close up. pretty rough, but rivet edges will be adresses after.

GRZC7DD.jpg

I forgot to document a few steps in the process, RLM76, sponge sanding, dark wash, and RLM76 over it to blend.
Here after these. RLM04 has also been applied.

rYonik8.jpg?1

Next are the exhaust stains.

Fuselage are hard to spot on the pics, but on natural light there is a greyish touch over the black, will try ti get better pics later.

RII4ZCO.jpg

RjJNX0l.jpg

Belly is still a wip, still need to add the liquid stains over the airflow dirt.

79noWEf.jpg

Walk area are sprayed on the upper wings as well, hope this will stop handlers to leave fingerprints all over unpermited areas !

sgHHaxO.jpg

QwyUERA.jpg

After a slight sponge sanding session, to blend it on.

OYcnG2N.jpg

Lastly, Horst took the bird for an in flight test.

https://i.imgur.com/IY3d26o.mp4

Cheers 
Mathieu

Edited by MDuv

@adameliclem. Hi Adam, thank you for your kind words. To be honnest The rivet density in the wheel well area scared me at first, I tought the mask would tear off during the making.
But in the end was ok, and I am glad it did. 
Cheers.

@Antonio Argudo. Thanks Buddy ! I hope they keep me for RLM duties, and not send me to fill the gaps on the eastern front ! :ninja::lol:

@Martinnfb. Thank you for your kind words ! Your builds are an inspiration for me. Cheers.

@John Stambaugh. I am very humbled by your comment. thank you sir. I sure miss contest and shows ... hopefully we are on the good side of the mountain, life restart is on sight ! Cheers.

- SCAR

Once you notice it, it cannot be unseen.. 
I tryed to live with for some time, but no i cannot any more.

FXIfAJy.jpg

Only visible on razing light, under some angles, and i am sure it would have disapeared under some varnish coating.

9e4Fg5q.jpg

So here we go for a masking session, and fix.
One big trench is carved along the crack, then tamiya superthin is poured into.
CA Filling is next once dry. Then carefull sanding will be set on the schedule.

Will put this setback time at profit for treating an underside joint crack as well (flaps area)

Ln2BPzs.jpg

Will put this setback time at profit for treating an underside joint crack as well (flaps area)

Cheers.

Mathieu

Edited by MDuv

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gentlemen, thanks for the encouragements.

I wasn't too confident on the repairs as it often leaves a scar, and I often have hard times to live with. Anyway this time the modeling gods apparently were on my side, and the repairs went Ok. I let some time pass between the sanded CA (used as putty) and the application of surfacer. Have constated the Cyano glue always retract a little bit after time so better let it do so. (**For what happened during this interlude, see bottom of this post)

On the progress side. I treated myself with the new 1Man Army mask set (intented for the A6)
I was very curious about this new product, and being myself a fan of painted markings, i could just not ignore it.

5PKT22k.jpg

On the technical side, it appears to be laser cut, on a very low tack type of kabuki.

Very impressed by the product: well packaged, clear explanation on the application process.

My only down appreciation would be that there is overall very few actual stencils on this big sheet. Most of the surface is used by a large array of crosses, chevrons, and big markings. Nice to have if you can't cut them, but they do not really require the chirurgical laser cuts.
I would have preferred a smaller, cheaper sheet. Not including the big items on it. But that's just my 2 cents.

zT3DOF0.jpg

The painted markings what I really used on the bird. 
Yes, cheat intention, i've put them carefully back on the backing paper with the intention of reusing them.

The application itself is quite straightforward.
Apply, mask the border, spray.

ySdUyr6.jpg

Here for the red tabs on the engine panel latches.

Z6xskRC.jpg

Tail red

Vd81LoF.jpg

Tail Black (Tire black)

After a tedious session of unmasking and cleaning, I was pleased and sold to this new technology.

q5mlzzN.jpg

i3kxcsE.jpg

Razing light on the repair area. mostly ok !

h4zD9IH.jpg

gS9qC8B.jpg

Think this one speaks for itself on the chirurgical part of the cut.

Opening here a small parenthesis. While waiting on the CA Glue to fully cure, I got some  spare time at the bench.

So i commited on the next build...

umu6doi.jpg?1

Small step, but with this done I have no choice but to dive in on this massive conversion. Sanding the Upper tail was a pain in the a**... (Guess it was a sam warning, not yet invented in 1965)

wMCzSsp.jpg

I have of course been greatly inspired by @easixpedro 's amazing conversion. With explanations on how to, and tips on what not to, I just felt i had to try it myself.

All the other very skillful builds going on at the moment over here were mojo raiser as well

Cheers
Mathieu

Edited by MDuv

7 hours ago, easixpedro said:

Oh my, that Phantom looks amazing!  If the tail is any indicator, that conversion will be mind blowing. Just brought mine back out and hope to have something worth posting shortly. 

Hi, 

Happy you are getting it back on the bench ! been longing for an update for a while. I have a some questions regarding the cocpkit mods, but will unload them in due time on the appropriate topic !

Cheers.
Mathieu

5 hours ago, adameliclem said:

Beautiful work as usual, Mathieu.

As a retired house painter, I appreciated the thinking you put into the repair you made. Thanks also for the demonstration of the 1ManArmy masks, which look stellar. 

Adam

Hi Adam, 
You are bringing me back plaster and wall repair memories :-) indeed the process looks similar to treat a wall surface crack.

The stencil masks are awesome, I wish there has been more on the Wurger, just for the pleasure of applying them.
Already got a few more ref on my shopping list.

Cheers.
Mathieu