How much to should I sand on my Hasegawa Bf 109K-4 maybe should have gotten the Trumpeter kit

oyoy5

Just wondering I know you have to sand the square fuselage oval and keep the cockpit open.  Wish they would have used the same theory on the G-6 amd G-14 which was correct.

Edited by oyoy5

Yes really sucks the only thing you can do is leave it open and no one can see it does not fit when closed.........unless you want to show it closed if so good luck since it will look like crap.  Maddening is the word and the Revell G-10 Erla ain’t perfect either...........MADDENING

The RB productions photo-etch erla canopy comes with a template to reshape the fuselage. I am working on a 109K with the RB erla canopy, but have not yet had a chance to compare the template with the canopy from the Hasegawa G-14 kit.

• oyoy5 changed the title to How much to should I sand on my Hasegawa Bf 109K-4 maybe should have gotten the Trumpeter kit

Out of my memory, I would not recommend the Trumpeter kit for two reasons: it does not have any Kurfurst cockpit features whereas they are very visible and the radio hatch is not correctly shaped/located. And you can add that to the list of small discrepancies you already find in their G10 kit.

For a K4, the Hasegawa kit is still the better option. It is not that difficult to round the fuselage as you should not remove that much plastic. Simply use a sanding sponge and a template to be sure you work progressively and symetrically.

12 hours ago, B-17 said:

The RB productions photo-etch erla canopy comes with a template to reshape the fuselage. I am working on a 109K with the RB erla canopy, but have not yet had a chance to compare the template with the canopy from the Hasegawa G-14 kit.

3 hours ago, oyoy5 said:

Thanks for the info in the RB template.

The template included in the photo-etched canopy set is only intended to modify the K-4 fuselage in order to work with the photo-etched canopy. It was never intended to correct the shape of the K-4 in order to fit the plastic parts from the G-10 or G-14 kits, which may be different. So, the template will be of little use in this case. If you want to the reshape the curvature of the K-4 spine in order to match those other kit canopies, I suggest that you use the canopies themselves as templates. That will be guaranteed to be the most accurate. 

I hope this helps, 

Radu 

Thank you Radu, I’m really thinking at this point of buying the Trumpeter kit since at least the shape is a little more correct. I’m sure the build will be very tough compared to Hasegawa but I am willing to deal with that. What are your thoughts there

19 minutes ago, oyoy5 said:

Thank you Radu, I’m really thinking at this point of buying the Trumpeter kit since at least the shape is a little more correct. I’m sure the build will be very tough compared to Hasegawa but I am willing to deal with that. What are your thoughts there

Well... if you are looking for "accuracy" and the curvature at the top of the spine of the Hasegawa K-4 is making you have second thoughts, then don't check the shape of the Trumpeter kit. ;) The Trumpeter kit has all kinds of shape issues all over the place. Honestly, in my own personal opinion, the spine of the Hasegawa K is not that much of a problem and if you want to fix it it will not be that hard to do. 

Radu 

Later edit: it has to be said that the Bf 109 K-4 was a bit like the MiG-15 Bis: it looked like the other versions, but it was redesigned from the ground up. There is no "pure" Bf 109 K-4 kit on the market in any scale. They all use bits from other versions. You know those people who keep saying "we do not need another Bf 109". We most definitely a need a proper Bf 109 K-4. :) So, if you are worried about the accuracy of the Hasegawa K-4, you should not think that another kit is a better alternative. They are all compromises. 

Edited by Radub

On 3/18/2021 at 7:25 AM, Radub said:

Well... if you are looking for "accuracy" and the curvature at the top of the spine of the Hasegawa K-4 is making you have second thoughts, then don't check the shape of the Trumpeter kit. ;) The Trumpeter kit has all kinds of shape issues all over the place. Honestly, in my own personal opinion, the spine of the Hasegawa K is not that much of a problem and if you want to fix it it will not be that hard to do. 

Radu 

Later edit: it has to be said that the Bf 109 K-4 was a bit like the MiG-15 Bis: it looked like the other versions, but it was redesigned from the ground up. There is no "pure" Bf 109 K-4 kit on the market in any scale. They all use bits from other versions. You know those people who keep saying "we do not need another Bf 109". We most definitely a need a proper Bf 109 K-4. :) So, if you are worried about the accuracy of the Hasegawa K-4, you should not think that another kit is a better alternative. They are all compromises. 

I kept my Craftworks K-4 for this very reason, though I have yet to check it's accuracy. Unfortunately, it is really buried in the stash right now to check it out.

On 3/18/2021 at 9:25 AM, Radub said:

Hi Radu

Is there enough surviving information available left to make an accurate K? If so, I sure hope some company steps up.

Cheers,

Damian