Revell Aircraft Kits (New Tools)

George

It seems like the new-tool Revell aircraft kits are beautifully detailed and very reasonable in price.   Obviously, they are a vast improvement over the old tool kits of the 1960s and 1970s.  I am shocked!  The only criticism I read was the packaging (see Amazon reviews), which I think is trivial because box will be disposed after the model is built.    

Hi George!

1 hour ago, George said:

which I think is trivial because box will be disposed after the model is built.    

Hmm. Personal taste I think.  If u build fast, perhaps not an issue. But for me, spending upwards of 4-8 months on a build, having a REVELL box is a PIA.  Being able to just take the lid off a box to find what I need, rather then constantly opening one end and pulling sprues out one after the other is annoying.

Dave/Ironman1945

41 minutes ago, ironman1945 said:

Hi George!

Hmm. Personal taste I think.  If u build fast, perhaps not an issue. But for me, spending upwards of 4-8 months on a build, having a REVELL box is a PIA.  Being able to just take the lid off a box to find what I need, rather then constantly opening one end and pulling sprues out one after the other is annoying.

Dave/Ironman1945

Not to mention smaller parts leaving the flimsy box through the ends, never to be seen again.

Gents:  You address some valid concerns.  I generally enclose the parts in clear plastic zip-lock bags (especially the clear parts like canopies and navigation light covers) unless there are already in sealed bags.  I generally will not open the sealed bags until the kit becomes my current project.  One thing I noticed with some old Revell and Monogram kits (and probably others) from the 1970s was the parts were not enclosed in clear bags.  So, if you have old kits, this may be a grand opportunity to protect them because you may not be able to get replacement parts.  :-(    

I really love those new Revell kits, they are cheap, well detailed and generally well done.

But.... I hate those end opening boxes!  :blowup:

As long as they are sealed they are rigid enough (barely) but as soon as You open it, it becomes useless.

I always change the Revell, or any end opening box to a stout Trumpeter box instead, those are almost indestructible!  :thumbsup:

Stefan :D

I wonder whether they have an A-team and B-team: the A-team produce kits like the Ar 196, which was a pleasure to build, canopy notwithstanding.  The B-team do kits like the Spitfire IIa ...

On 3/17/2021 at 5:38 PM, James Rademaker said:

As far as the lid of the box is concerned I take my hobby knife and cut the top off and tape the sides shut. Works just like a Hasegawa box. And I agree, the newer REVELL is a vast improvement over the original molds from the 70’s.

Jim

Jim

I do the exact same thing! I empty the box, tape the sides shut and cut a lid out of the top with a hobby knife to make the top a flap. Then I put all the arts back in the box and easy peezy access.

Edited by hworth18

19 hours ago, Starfighter said:

The problem is they don't fit, are badly injected and extremely inaccurate - at least when it comes to 1/32nd scale Super Hornet kits... 

Starfighter:  Thank you.  I think you are referring to 2019 1/32 Revell F-18 Super Hornet.  According to Scalemates, there is a new tool 1/32 Super Hornet being released sometime this year.  I hope you have a better experience with this one.  Sorry.

19 hours ago, MikeC said:

I wonder whether they have an A-team and B-team: the A-team produce kits like the Ar 196, which was a pleasure to build, canopy notwithstanding.  The B-team do kits like the Spitfire IIa ...

Hi MikeC:  According to Scalemates, it would appear you are referring to the 2014 Spitfire Mk IIA.  Scalemates indicates there is Spitfire IX version (2017) which could be better.

Revell, like many model companies, that have been around for over 50 years, have made quantum leaps in scale modeling mainly because of new technology.   While yesterday's scale models may have not been as crisp and greatly detailed as they are today, they paved the way for greater things much like our Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo astronauts have for further space exploration.  They had to start somewhere and it only became better.

2 hours ago, George said:

Hi MikeC:  According to Scalemates, it would appear you are referring to the 2014 Spitfire Mk IIA.  Scalemates indicates there is Spitfire IX version (2017) which could be better.

Hi @George I am indeed.  My comments were based  on various reviews plus my own experience (back in 2015 in the "Edgar Brooks Tribute" GB) and knowledge of the Spitfire.  The Mk IX - I have one in the stash - appears to be derived from this kit, but I'll reserve judgement until I've built it.

2 hours ago, George said:

Starfighter:  Thank you.  I think you are referring to 2019 1/32 Revell F-18 Super Hornet.  According to Scalemates, there is a new tool 1/32 Super Hornet being released sometime this year.  I hope you have a better experience with this one.  Sorry.

Same kit with different parts to build a two-seater.