Telford SMW 2021

Phartycr0c

30 minutes ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

Please do that, Stokey Pete. I would really love to see it in-the-flesh. I think it's (arguably) the best demo scheme I've ever laid eyes on.

Cheers.

Chris.    

Up until a few minutes ago, I was excited at the prospect. Then I took it down from the shelf to look at. Imagine my horror to have discovered this....

51052588321_2bd2021e3e_b.jpg

I’ve never had paint do this before, EVER. I’ve been wracking my brains to figure out what might have happened. I fear it was my use of Mr hobby aqueous for the blue, mixed with Tamiya gloss black to produce the different shades of blue for the feathers. I can only suspect that there’s a paint compatibility issue that’s caused the shrinkage and subsequent cracking. 

I’m now trying to work out how i can touch this up without having to go down the route of drastic action. 
:crying:

Sorry to see that!  :(

Doubt it's Tamiya/Mr Hobby compatibility (if both aqueous/alchohol based?) - I mix them all the time.

*Could* be that layers haven't sufficiently dried off between layers (I leave mine for days at least - sometimes weeks) - or possibly decal solvents not dryed/cleaned off properly (I've had similar happen because of this).

Deep breath - and, maybe, a large whisky - you might be surprised how much can be made good as new with some careful touching in, and a light varnish...

Iain

3 minutes ago, Iain said:

Deep breath - and, maybe, a large whisky - you might be surprised how much can be made good as new with some careful touching in, and a light varnish...

Iain

Thanks Iain, the paint drying explanation is probably the most favourable one. 
Several deep breaths have been taken, it was the only thing to spare my rage and launching it against a wall. It’s a good job I’ve go Mrs StokeyPete sat here in the office to talk some sense into me. 
It will still grace the tables if I can make it happen. 

Feel your pain, I've had the same with Gunze Aqueous a couple of times. I think Iain is right although I've wondered if it's putting it on to soon after the primer (one of the models that suffered was all white gloss over white primer).

A small brush, some touching up and some 6 - 12,000 grit Micromesh and it all but disappears.

Indeed. I've had a few issues with paint cracking and they all have happened when applying a clear. The last case was a paint/clear compatibility issue (enamel paint and a acrylic lacquer clear).

However in this case and some.of my other ones, it could be a curing issue.

It actually is true,  I've had it happen numerous times with flat enamels over gloss using the same brand of paint. Model Master flat black is exceptionally bad for doing this.  Its not crackle like you get with incompatible paints similar to paint remover but actual shrinkage cracks when drying.

41 minutes ago, LSP_Ron said:

It actually is true,  I've had it happen numerous times with flat enamels over gloss using the same brand of paint. Model Master flat black is exceptionally bad for doing this.  Its not crackle like you get with incompatible paints similar to paint remover but actual shrinkage cracks when drying.

Yeah, that's how I knew mine was chemical, the paint crinkled up as soon as the clear hit it.

I've not actually ever had a flat clear shrinkage crack on me. A few bad reactions with general rattle can paint but I always used MM enamel paint with MM "enamel system" lacquer gloss, and after switching to MRP quite a few years back, I use their gloss for decals then their flat clear over that for every model I've made. 

I really love their semi gloss, gloss and especially their flat. 

Oh Dear, Pete. I can't imagine how you felt when you saw the cracked paint.... Only thing is how are you going to ensure the repair will not also crack over time? Would you have to sand down to the plastic and use different paints? From the comments on here, it sounds like you might have to. Not a great situation, given how complicated the scheme is in that area. 

One thing occurs to me. Is that the only area that displays the cracking? I ask because I wonder if the curvature of the fuselage section had anything to do with the cracking? Paint effectively stretching as it cures around a nearby curve (maybe). Just a semi-educated guess on my part, admittedly. 

Good luck with sorting it out. Hope to see it up-close in November. 

Cheers. 

Chris. 

Edited by Confusionreigns178
Correcting a typo.

5 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

Guys, it’s flat PAINT over gloss PAINT.  Did it once with MM OD over MM aircraft grey and it looked horrible.  Never had it happen with clear coats.

Ah, ok that makes more sense. I've had issues experimenting with flat and semi-gloss/gloss paint as well.