Tamiya F4U Corsairs - Daniel Cunningham VF-17 F4U plane 22; F4U-1A Plane 17; F4U-1D VBF-10

CShanne

So, this will be the first time I post my work on the forum or any for that matter.  I am not the master modeler many of you are, but I am trying to get there and trying to learn.  I have been in and out of the hobby since the 90’s; although I used to build a lot as a child and a teen. I was predominantly a 1/48 scale builder, but a few years ago I had built the Tamiya P-51, A6M2b, bird-cage Corsair, and a Trumpeter F4F-3 in 1/32, which I enjoyed, so I decided to switch scales. The p-51 and the Corsair had just come out the last time I built each of them, so it has been a few years (at least 7, since that is the date of the Corsair kit.) Well, I am getting back into it and I have a plan:

I really like Corsairs and VF-17 is my favorite unit (I never said I was original).  So, I am going to build 1 each of the 1/32 Tamiya Corsairs (F4U-1, F4U-1A, and F4U-1D), only I am going to try and build the planes for a single pilot (I.e., appropriate marketing’s for that model plane for the pilot).  So, I need to select a pilot that was assigned VF-17 when the unit was formed, or at least very early in their organization.  I would like the Birdcage to be blue over grey, early war camouflage, so that limits me more as far as timing.  From there I need to research if the pilot remained with VF-17 for their two tours (as that is my preference) and I need the pilot to has moved on to a new unit that flew the F4U-1D, VF-84 is the obvious choice since a core of pilots moved from VF-17 to VF-84; however, I am not fond of the arrow recognition markings.... so more research and decisions are required.

Anyway, here is what I have thus for the birdcage Corsair project:

ZNMXXx.jpg

Now, I did start with the cockpit, I did not get too much done as work is insane (COVID actually made my job busier, as I am in pharmaceutical development.)

I figured, why not start with the Eduard set, which I did (photo below, keep in mind that I only did one side.) Well....  foolishly, I made a rookie mistake and assumed that Eduard had done the proper research on the F4U-1...  well...  the cockpit parts are incorrect for the F4U-1, which I found out a bit late (both sides consoles and the dash are incorrect - meaning the layout of the switches is way off)...  I ordered the replacement parts from Tamiya USA and they will be here in 4-weeks (for the record, the Tamiya parts are very close to the real layout - main reference was Dana Bell’s wonderful book, pictured above).  While I do not have the skill to make my models look as impressive as it seems most of you do, I would like it to at least be close to accurate.  Eduard makes good looking products, but I am a little disappointed to say the least.  

While awaiting the replacement cockpit parts, as time permits, I will move on to the engine. I plan to wire the engine, which I have not ever done, so it should be interesting, did I say I am not a master modeler like most of you :mellow:

Anyway, thanks for reading the small book I wrote above, we will see how this goes (I will also work on my photo quality)

abxGsK.jpg

Edited by CShanne
Change title

Welcome to the Forums! The work thus far looks pretty good to me. I have not had the pleasure of building a Tamiya Corsair as of yet, not too much time for building right now......Covid has unexpectedly made my job busier in many respects. 

Please keep the updates coming!

THOR    :ph34r:

:hi: VF-17 is a favorite of mine too. I like your idea of building selection of planes for a single pilot. If it were me, I would choose Roger Hedrick, even though that would mean building a VF-84 bird for the -1D. He had a distinguished career post-war as well. Will follow along with interest!

Happy modeling!

Rockie

• CShanne changed the title to Tamiya F4U Corsairs - Daniel Cunningham VF-17 F4U plane 22; F4U-1A Plane 17; F4U-1D VBF-10

So I chose my pilot.  It was not an easy debate, I really considered 3 pilots overall. While Kepford is my favorite pilot, since I was a child, he didn’t really meet my goal (he was only in VF-84 for training.  Hedrick, “Chico” Freeman, and Cunningham were my debate and Cunningham was not in VF-84, so I chose him.  He was also so short he couldn’t reach the rudder pedals of an F4U, and he liked hockey.  I a, not very tall and I liked hockey, played for many years, so if figured I would choose him.

I expected to be posting progress on the engine today, but I am under the weather so, I will not be modeling today, maybe tomorrow. 

hope everyone is doing well. 

Very cool idea. I want to do the same type of thing for Cook Cleland. He flew an SBD in WW2, an F4U-1D at the 1946 Cleveland Air Races, a couple of different F2G Super Corsairs in the '47 - '49 races, winning twice, and then an F4U-4 in Korea. I have a Tamiya F4U-1D, and Trumpeters F4U-1D and F4U-4 kits.

17 minutes ago, F2G_lover said:

Very cool idea. I want to do the same type of thing for Cook Cleland. He flew an SBD in WW2, an F4U-1D at the 1946 Cleveland Air Races, a couple of different F2G Super Corsairs in the '47 - '49 races, winning twice, and then an F4U-4 in Korea. I have a Tamiya F4U-1D, and Trumpeters F4U-1D and F4U-4 kits.

I love the Super Corsairs, I think they are one of the most beautiful planes ever.  I just don’t have the skills to build one, even with the conversion kits.. someday maybe for me. In the meantime, I would totally follow your builds if you did that. Something fascinating about following a single pilot and building all of their aircraft. 

1 minute ago, CShanne said:

I love the Super Corsairs, I think they are one of the most beautiful planes ever.  I just don’t have the skills to build one, even with the conversion kits.. someday maybe for me. In the meantime, I would totally follow your builds if you did that. Something fascinating about following a single pilot and building all of their aircraft. 

I agree, Super Corsairs are my favorite airplane of all time. I actually have a plaque with pieces of fabric from Race 74 (blue/white) and Race 57 (red/white), and some engineering drawings from Goodyear for the F2G.

I don't have the skills to build one yet either, and I don't even have the conversion kit yet. I'm hoping that by the time I'm ready to tackle one, there will be a better option. I think I'm going to start with the F4U-4 he flew in Korea while commanding VF-653.