Trumpy ASW Wildcat - almost done

Fanes

Afraid I can't help with a good recommendation, but that Dauntless picture is very reddish so I'm not sure if it's a good reference...

Purely based on contrast maybe the XF-24 -> perhaps do a test on a model? White can make other colours look different, especially if they are a lot darker...

On 4/12/2022 at 12:13 PM, jeroen_R90S said:

Afraid I can't help with a good recommendation, but that Dauntless picture is very reddish so I'm not sure if it's a good reference...

Purely based on contrast maybe the XF-24 -> perhaps do a test on a model? White can make other colours look different, especially if they are a lot darker...

Thanks for the input Jeroen! getting the contrast "right" seemed to be the challenge and in the end the pure XF-24 looked way too dark.

With a 2:1 mixture of Gunze H-57 and XF-24, which looked way too light in the jar, but turned out quite to my liking in the end.

1208163-34859-75-1440.jpg

Please ignore the improper wihite balance in the photo above. The wings reflect the last bits of sunlight from the window, while the fuselage is illuminated from my desk lamp..

Again I went for a nonunifom finish since the contrast between white and dark gull grey is quite heavy:

1208162-34859-38-1440.jpg

Add the stars and bars with the red outline and it looks quite uniform to the camera's eye1208164-34859-61-1440.jpg

And one clos up just because I love how the insignia turned out on the wings:

1208165-34859-31-1440.jpg

On the fuselage some alignment issues make a respray of the ANA 621 necessary (forgot to adjust the exposure in Lightroom for this photo :rolleyes:):

1208166-34859-24-1440.jpg

Getting the vinyl down on the curved fueslage with the kink at the spine was quite a struggle since the masks were a little too stiff to go on without wrinkles.

Adding cuts eased the problem but I will consider doing this differently next time.

On 4/20/2022 at 10:36 AM, Bobs Buckles said:

Excellent progress. 

I wonder if  cutting the mask from Tamiya masking sheet would help. Vinyl can be a little unforgiving where curves are concerned.

Cheers,

Bob :rolleyes:

Thanks for the suggestion Bob. I tried Tamiya sheets in the past and struggled with the strong adhesive.
Once it was on, no corrections were possible.

All repaired and glloss coated

It took some time and I forgot to take pictures in the meantime.

So, here's the repaired insignia on the port fuselage:

1212801-34859-18-1440.jpg

As you can see the individual aircrat numbers were painted on as well. and of course on the cowling as well:

1212799-34859-70-1440.jpg

Afterwards I tried something new: Alclad aqua gloss.
Why not Tamiya clear with levelling thinner as usual? - well I had some trouble with the lacquer thinner used for the white.

It somehow interacted with the Tamiya semigloss I used as a base coat. The more thin white I sprayed on, the darker it went...

So, in this case I'm fr the first time ever happy with a water based clear coat!

1212800-34859-18-1440.jpg

I'll apply the decals soon and quickly - there's only a small amount of stencils and the squadron badge to put on.

• Fanes changed the title to Trumpy ASW Wildcat - all glossed up

Thank you very much guys.

To keep the paint as good looking as the photos suggest, I have to make some repairs since some genius managed to get dust in his clear coat and polished/sanded right trough the paint during removal of said dust...

3 hours ago, LSP_Mike said:

Looks nice, and a less common scheme

We really do need a FM-2 Wildcat in 1/32 since the ASW scheme was more common on these.

But kudos to @Jennings Heilig and his research for the fundekals F4F decals! Otherwise I wouldn't have thought that any F4F-4 was painted something else than blue/grey.

Cheers

Joachim

Stickers are on!

Applying the decals was a quick joy since there aren't many and they were a dream to apply.

So here it is with a protective gloss coat, unfortunately with slight orange peel this time.

1217279-34859-13-1440.jpg

Taking photos with daylight is quite challenging with the ASW scheme. The RFI photos will take some time later..

1217281-34859-24-1440.jpg

I rebuild the antenna mast on the vertical stabilizer, too. I snapped it off early during painting and since the plastic one was too small anyway, it was replaced with a strip of brass from a PE sheet.

1217280-34859-83-1440.jpg

That's it for now.

A restrained washing will be next up.

• Fanes changed the title to Trumpy ASW Wildcat - decals applied

Aaaand we're getting closer to the finish line.

The Wildcat recieved a panel line wash. Not the dark-brown-green-black-type, which looks mostly artificial but a much more restrained one.

"My" F4F from VC-13 was used as a photo backdrop for the crews and looks especially clean in all pictures. In fact all F4F-4s in the two tone ASW scheme seemed to be rather new and spotless.

So long story short:

a light (neutral) grey wash for the white parts and a dark grey one for the parts of the Wildcat in ANA621.

1222391-34859-99-1440.jpg

1222393-34859-74-1440.jpg

Of course a little boo boo happened:

I chipped the blue paint on one of the insignia when I tried to remove a lint before applying the flat coat...

1222392-34859-12-1440.jpg

As I post these lines the damage is repaired and the flat coat(s) are drying until tomorrow.

• Fanes changed the title to Trumpy ASW Wildcat - final paint

Baby steps towards the finish line

So, the clear coats were applied and I started doing all the small stuff to finish her up.

Of course some things didn't go as planned.

The underside is supposed to be glossy - I went with a satin.

Then exhaust stains were added with MRP exhaust soot (for the soot obviously) and Tamiya deck tan (for the lead residue).

Light residues from the guns were done with black pigments.

1224895-34859-20-1440.jpg

Well, during adjustements for the exhaust fit, the blade slipped and scratched the white paint. Repairs are imminent; already sanded it sommoth (the black patch)

1224893-34859-40-1440.jpg

More things that didn't go as planned: removing the masks on the wheel hubs removed all paint coats, even the primer, as well.

1224898-34859-21-1440.jpg

The gun bay recieved some small paint chips with silver oil paint - easy to remove when overdone.

Keep in mind, that VC-13 F4F-4s appear to be held in good shape.

1224896-34859-54-1440.jpg

Another little setback: the canopy doesn't fit in the open position...

But it now has the small panel in non specular blue grey painted on the inside - a typical Wildcat feature often overlooked.

1224897-34859-55-1440.jpg

Well, cloed canopy it is. Doesn't look so bad either, does it?

1224894-34859-59-1440.jpg

What's left to do:

• repair the wheel hubs and attach the landing gear
  • repair the scratched belly
  • add the exhausts
  • paint and install the nav lights
  • get the drop tanks in place
  • antenna mast and antenna wire
  • shoot the RFI photos ;)