Who here is looking forward to the SH Whirlwind?

mpk

I have always liked the airplane but I was always disappointed that they stuck an inferior engine it so it could never reach its full potential. Just like the Grumman XF-5F that was rejected by the U.S. Navy at the beginning of WW2. Both were my favorite fighters. :crying: 

18 minutes ago, Grunticus said:

Nice! Is that overall black?

According to some sources, overall glossy dark blue-grey, with the starboard wing under surfaces in white and the port wing under surfaces in black. L6844 has also been profiled with glossy dark blue upper surfaces. I tend to agree with the dark blue grey school. Super cool either way.

Adam

Hi.  

Just to throw a random in,

A photographer many years ago told me it might be a photo taken in Ortho film,

due to the lighter colour blue of the roundel, which would make the aircraft possibly still in a yellow primer colour 

However I still personally still like the gloss grey idea 

Cheers 

Jerry

Edited by brewerjerry

7 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi.  

Just to throw a random in,

A photographer many years ago told me it might be a photo taken in Ortho film,

due to the lighter colour blue of the roundel, which would make the aircraft possibly still in a yellow primer colour 

However I still personally still like the gloss grey idea 

Cheers 

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

There are other photos of the first machine, taken at different times in different conditions, that clearly indicate a dark upper surface. Also, IIRC, the yellow roundel appeared during the time the first Whirlwinds were being produced, the second, silver-doped prototype had the yellow ring, but the first did not.

Needless to say, if your friend has a line on color negatives, for the love of all that is holy, get ‘em.

Cheers,

Adam