MDC P-47 Cockpit

John1

2 hours ago, Fencer-1 said:

It's just wonderful to have an options and you make great work here, but there is no real option for Razorback Jugs because of lack of rear bulkhead, early seat mount, armor plate, radio etc. It is obviously not universal cockpit set and intended only for Hasegawa's Bubbletop P-47s. Am I right?   Modelers continue doing mistake selecting corrugated (even making it from scratch like here Another Hasegawa Bubbletop) floor for Bubbletop P-47D versions. In case of your beautiful set totally unclear what second corrugated floor intended for. I'm just try to point attention to these details one more time.

With full respect to you,

Alex.

P.S. Fresh sample of incorrect choice: Beautiful Gabreski's Jug by Tolga Ulgur

3525-23.jpg

Hey Fencer,

It’s ridiculously bad form to cite someone else’s work as an example of “incorrect choice.” Rather than single out another modeler for criticism, why not post images of your “correct” choices? I look forward to seeing them.

Adam

Guest Vincent
7 hours ago, John1 said:

Wonderful attention to detail, this is what sets you apart from others.   You still doing new 32nd scale cockpits Vincent?  

6 hours ago, Fencer-1 said:

It's just wonderful to have an options and you make great work here, but there is no real option for Razorback Jugs because of lack of rear bulkhead, early seat mount, armor plate, radio etc. It is obviously not universal cockpit set and intended only for Hasegawa's Bubbletop P-47s. Am I right?   Modelers continue doing mistake selecting corrugated (even making it from scratch like here Another Hasegawa Bubbletop) floor for Bubbletop P-47D versions. In case of your beautiful set totally unclear what second corrugated floor intended for. I'm just try to point attention to these details one more time.

Alex.

No, it was not designed as an universal set, there can be no such thing on an a/c with so many versions and batches. If a razorback would have been released, I would have created the extra needed parts. Once again, at the time this set was created, there was some discussions going around that the very first bubbletops might have retained for a very short time the corrugated floors so I wanted to play it safe.

And no, I do not produce master patterns anymore, I leave this to the 3D printing folks

Edited by Vincent

7 hours ago, adameliclem said:

Hey Fencer,

It’s ridiculously bad form to cite someone else’s work as an example of “incorrect choice.” Rather than single out another modeler for criticism, why not post images of your “correct” choices? I look forward to seeing them.

Adam

The only P-47D I've built is 1/48 old good Monogram as David Schilling personal mount. It was around 25 years ago, and yes, no exepition, it had incorrect corrugated floor also. I just didn't know the difference that time. Many models have just "universal" cockpit for all P-47 variants and Monogram P-47 is one of them. Why should we continue to repeat old mistakes again when we know how it has to be done? 33095249423_1592f23aa9_o.jpg

Edited by Fencer-1

4 hours ago, Vincent said:

No, it was not designed as an universal set, there can be no such thing on an a/c with so many versions and batches. If a razorback would have been released, I would have created the extra needed parts. Once again, at the time this set was created, there was some discussions going around that the very first bubbletops might have retained for a very short time the corrugated floors so I wanted to play it safe.

And no, I do not produce master patterns anymore, I leave this to the 3D printing folks

I absolutely understand the reasons for such option. It was unclear when the flat floor was introduced, but today we can prevent wrong choice making some notice with 100% reference from factory drawings.

On 4/20/2021 at 9:02 AM, Fencer-1 said:

Alex.

3525-23.jpg

The scratchbuilt floor is mine.  

I have done some not insignificant research regarding when the floor went from corrugated to flat, including

Do you have definitive information that the floor was flat in D 25s throughout the production run?  I ask for the sake of clarity, not to justify my modification.

9 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

Is it possible some already in hand were used up? I assume they were interchangeable. There is typically a lag from drawings to implementation on the factory floor.

Yes but in my experience (having worked an aircraft production line), it's the reverse of what you suggest...the change is implemented in production before the engineering is done but anything is possible.  Normally, there are serial number breaks on the drawings when such changes are implemented but a lot of these types of drawings done back then (with exceptions of course) do not and it appears that this aircraft does not and only indicates block changes (which may indirectly indicate serial number break points).

Edited by Juggernut

On 4/23/2021 at 1:09 PM, LSP_Ray said:

Is it possible some already in hand were used up? I assume they were interchangeable. There is typically a lag from drawings to implementation on the factory floor.

I had some thoughts about such possibility. Some sources hint at such hypothetical chance of using early floor parts up to D-30 series. I had to made additional research to make sure in my initial conclusion. There are two reliable sources I can refer to: "Parts Catalog for P-47D-25 Through P-47D-40" and assembly drawing 89F11237 for corrugated floor for all P-47 up to D-25 model. Catalog doesn't have any other reference than 93F12237 (flat floor assembly).  Drawing 89F11237 has some remarkable note: "See drawing 93F12237 for later P-47 models. This assembly (89F11237is not interchangeable with 93F12237."51137994590_b7e58abb56_o.jpg

51137994435_ee8b0fd42b_o.jpg

51137103888_aa81fb5b35_b.jpg

51136209162_5ac09990a2_o.jpg

Edited by Fencer-1

• 1 month later...

Getting back to the MDC cockpit set, does anyone have a good quality scan of the instructions?   My sheet is pretty washed out and given how many small little bits come with this set, I really need to be able to see those drawings in detail.   Haven't been able to find anything by Googling. 

On 4/16/2021 at 6:59 AM, Vincent said:

Thanks guys for the praises !

It's nice to see that you enjoy all the hard work I had put into the patterns. Do not hesitate to ask me if something is unclear

;)

Vincent

Hi Vincent, any chance you might be able to send me (or post here) a scan of the instructions?   The instruction sheet I got is pretty washed out and I'm having a hard time following where some of the parts are supposed to go.   Sent an email a couple of days ago to MDC, haven't heard back yet.   

Any assistance is greatly appreciated! 

Edit - I found some good quality scans, so I think I'm all set.   My only question is part R16, it's a small hollow pipe that connects to what I assume is the heating pipe on the forward section of the cockpit floor.  Is this part supposed to go inline with the pipe or perpendicular?   Can't tell from the instructions and from looking at pics of later model P-47 cockpits, it's equally hard to see this area. 

Edited by John1