Review of the 1/48 Lancaster on The Modeling News

Uncarina

Thanks for that Tom, a worthwhile in-depth review. It looks like a very good kit, my only personal disappointment is that it doesn’t come with the option of paddle-bladed props so I can’t do “my” particular Lanc yet but I’m sure the AM market will soon accommodate me! 

If ever I was going to build a 1/48 heavy bomber, it's the Lancaster. (I never liked the Tamiya kit. I don't know why.)

I have the cockpit kit. It will be nice to show them together.

I have an idea of a wooden display base....

Thanks mate. 

Edited by mpk

5 hours ago, ade rowlands said:

Was there an issue with the Radiator intakes on the 1/32 kit? Something about the shape or being a later mod for Far East Service springs to mind. And if there was did they correct it? 

I don’t have a photo of their radiator handy, which in the 1/32 kit is inappropriate for most wartime aircraft. HK repeated the shape of the intakes, so these will need to be sanded at the top of the opening to make it flat at the rear where it meets the radiator, a simple fix.

Cheers,  Tom

1 hour ago, Uncarina said:

Had a chance to see the radiators for the new kit and I am pleased to write that HK corrected them. Still missing a vertical rod but this is easily added. I am once again impressed with how HK responds to feedback. Model on!

Cheers,  Tom

Good news indeed. 

Here is a Lancaster doing a run up:

PEvansD17030040.2.jpg

as for the review, it says the bomb load has a 8,000lb Cookie but it looks too small for that size and the bomb doors should be bulged. Still it looks to be a great kit and there are aftermarket bombs available so that won't be a problem.

Jari

The current release only has the narrow blade propellors, so unless HK has a second 1/48 release these would have to be added along with the late version radiators.

Cheers, Tom

Edited by Uncarina