Expectations and reality

John Stambaugh

1 hour ago, MikeMaben said:

Ask yourself , "What do these masters have that I don't ?" I have 2 hands with all 10 digits. I have 2 eyes that function to some degree

(trust me, one eye doesn't make for happy modeling).  It usually boils down to what I don't have. I 'sometimes' don't have the patience.

I don't have the inspiration to devote as much time as others. I don't (and never have) had the desire to compete, although as I've said

before, I could win first place in the 'display only' category most of the time :whistle:.  So when I see models that are what I consider to be

vastly superior to mine, I'm not envious, I don't say to myself " man I wish I could do that". If I had the things that they have that I don't,

I could,  because I have the basics.       2 hands, 10 fingers, 2 eyes.

That’s very, very good Mike. I would add one further ingredient, which can be mixed in varying proportions, and I say this with the utmost respect to all.......obsessive compulsive disorderI recognise OCD symptoms within my own personality in some instances (stupid things like making sure table mats are equally spaced and square to the edge of the table etc) but I’m sure that it’s present in many modellers. It’s the compulsive drive that says if that spinner isn’t quite the right shape, too pointed, too bulbous, it HAS to be corrected. To most of us, unless glaringly misshaped, a spinner is a spinner but to others it’s a major issue, and by and large it’s these people who are the supreme modellers that we so admire. 

Model making today is certainly very different than it was 50 years ago! (not in terms of the joy and excitement of opening a new model box and examining the contents, but more around the techniques used to complete and finish it).

As I am slowly approaching the wrong side of my 'sell by date', I realise now more than ever my own limitations in modelling, but that does not stop me trying to strive to improve. To me, 'pure' modelling has been somewhat superseded by 'artistry' (and pretty well everything that comes with such discipline) in many senses, and this is what I believe is driving most current finishing techniques (it's probably all about creating the perfect illusion) - I am pretty certain that I will not be able to attain such a thing.

I feel that you are right and many here (all great modellers and friends in their own right) seem to agree with you...have fun and model on John! :thumbsup:

Derek

Yes I agree that the master builders are indeed artist. And to those who will NOT accept less that 100% accuracy I would say; thank you. I believe that these exacting standards are what impress upon the kit manufacturers to step up their game and they have done so.

And where would we be without the aftermarket suppliers? It is precisely our demand for accuracy and minute detail that gives them the market to supply.

So to the artists out there; I again say thank you for helping to make our hobby what it is today!

On 3/11/2021 at 5:56 AM, mpk said:

I have always told students, "Its supposed to be fun. If you're not having fun, go fishing or something."

In this hobby, something utterly tragic occurred. Some idiot made it a competition. 

Screw them. Have fun.

AMEN!  

And most likely, the idiot that made it a competion was probably an American.  For some reason, we can't seem to do anything just for the sake of doing it and having fun; it seems part of our national psyche to turn everything we do into a competition.  Which in turn, turns people off because they think they won't be "good enough", or that they won't win or be the best at it.  Sad, really...

6 hours ago, mozart said:

That’s very, very good Mike. I would add one further ingredient, which can be mixed in varying proportions, and I say this with the utmost respect to all.......obsessive compulsive disorderI recognise OCD symptoms within my own personality in some instances (stupid things like making sure table mats are equally spaced and square to the edge of the table etc) but I’m sure that it’s present in many modellers. It’s the compulsive drive that says if that spinner isn’t quite the right shape, too pointed, too bulbous, it HAS to be corrected. To most of us, unless glaringly misshaped, a spinner is a spinner but to others it’s a major issue, and by and large it’s these people who are the supreme modellers that we so admire. 

You're right about the OCD thing.  It's a blessing and a curse, but what isn't?

Cheers,

Damian

44 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

As to competition, it's a choice, like most everything in life, nothing more. Competitiveness is part of the human spirit, and has always been with us, and probably always will be.

And where would we be today if not for mans natural desire to excel? Still living in caves and wondering if the moon is made of cheese.

As to modeling contest; let those who wish to compete with others do so. Noone is forcing you to participate. But instead model what you want and how you want. And by the way, that is in no small measure what it is to be an "idiot" American. 

3 hours ago, Joe Hegedus said:

AMEN!  

And most likely, the idiot that made it a competion was probably an American.  For some reason, we can't seem to do anything just for the sake of doing it and having fun; it seems part of our national psyche to turn everything we do into a competition.  Which in turn, turns people off because they think they won't be "good enough", or that they won't win or be the best at it.  Sad, really...

Surely, ours is a hobby that is best enjoyed at a person's own level. You took half-an-hour to make your latest kit? That's cool. You took three years to super-detail and complete your latest mega-kit? Also, very cool. If both parties really enjoyed what they were doing, then surely both have benefitted and learnt from their endeavours. 

Chris. 

9 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

The thing that struck me most the very first time I ever attended the IPMS/UK nationals almost 30 years ago (!?!?!?) was that the contest part of it was almost treated as an afterthought.  It’s much more about club and SIG displays (no competition), camaraderie, buying cool stuff from vendors, and eating and drinking.

To a large extent, that still appears to be the case today (at least at the UK IPMS SMW event).

Derek

12 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

The thing that struck me most the very first time I ever attended the IPMS/UK nationals almost 30 years ago (!?!?!?) was that the contest part of it was almost treated as an afterthought.  It’s much more about club and SIG displays (no competition), camaraderie, buying cool stuff from vendors, and eating and drinking.

...and that's the way it should be here too, IMHO......

Expectations are driven and judged by ego. Reality is driven and judged by pride. Or at least that's the way it should be.

If you expect to be the best in everything you do, that's your ego talking bull.

If you realize that it feels good to have done or tried something, that's your pride talking.

I try everyday not to be driven by ego but by pride.

For me, life is all about opportunities. When I try something new, I try not to think that I might not be good enough.

Hell, it feels really good just to try something, just for the sake of trying it.

If I try something new and it turns out good : GREAT ! What's the next thing I wanna try ?

If it turns out bad : I picked myself up and try again. Or I try something entirely different.

I'm sure I'll never be number one at the things I try, but I feel mighty good and proud because I've tried it.

I'm also 100% sure that it was/is  good fun trying something new, and for me that's what it's all about.

Just my 2 cents

2 hours ago, quang said:

What’s pride but ego talking? :rolleyes:

There's actually a huge difference between the 2, but this is a modeling forum so I'll keep it short :

Ego CAN motivate you but it will bite you if you don't succeed.

Pride WILL motivate you and can give you satisfaction no matter what the result is.

2 hours ago, quang said:

What’s pride but ego talking? :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Pascal said:

There's actually a huge difference between the 2, but this is a modeling forum so I'll keep it short :

Ego CAN motivate you but it will bite you if you don't succeed.

Pride WILL motivate you and can give you satisfaction no matter what the result is.

It also depends on how loudly, to whom and where the ego is talking.  Nothing at all wrong (in fact everything is right) with "taking a pride in your work" as long as you don't shout about it to all and sundry.